Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2024 10:18:36 AM EDT
my son is considering working at the Bastrop site (masters EE w/PE in the works)
i know some folks that work at Tesla & it's hit or miss & screwy schedules.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
We have some members here at Firefly
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wolfjflywheel:

We have some members here at Firefly
View Quote

At least one with a perdy mouth
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My cousin did it for a while, made great money but he couldn't deal with the stress. He loved it but it sounded like a meat grinder. He wrote code for launch sequences.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Figure it would be good for a young person without dependencies to grind there for a few years.  Either make it big with them or get out with a resume that will make you in big demand from other space firms with a more relaxed life.

My wife was getting recruited, I think due to her experience with getting construction projects through FedGov scrutiny.  She decided not to pursue it due to being happy where she was.  I of course was super-envious, and would have done quite a bit to join the official Team Musk.  Someone has to lay out the roads for the Marian bases, dammit!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Have him check out Applied Research Laboratories at UT.  Most of the labs do sonar and underwater work for the US Navy, but there are other opportunities he might find interesting.  Drop me an IM if you want to get in touch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:56:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]
First hand experience watching a partner get fucked by them.

There's a reason they call it Slave X. Horrible work life balance culture, incredibly toxic leadership. If you have any little issue that means you can't work at 110%, they'll shit can you faster than you can blink.

The OSHA and safety issues you've seen in the news? Only the tip of the iceberg. The culture is to blatantly ignore safety in the name of whatever engineering review/approval is next, to get the next vehicle/prop on the pad and launched.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Tao:

There's a reason they call it Slave X. Horrible work life balance culture, incredibly toxic leadership. If you have any little issue that means you can't work at 110%, they'll shit can you faster than you can blink.

The OSHA and safety issues you've seen in the news? Only the tip of the iceberg. The culture is to blatantly ignore safety in the name of whatever engineering review/approval is next, to get the next vehicle/prop on the pad and launched.
View Quote

sounds like the wally-mart of space places to work; just get it done or we'll hire someone else?

is that what ur telling me?

don't sound real good for a first job, even without a family or student loans,,,
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Tao:

View Quote

That's how hard stuff gets done.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
That's how hard stuff gets done.
View Quote

I would tend to agree, they are the bleeding edge of tech right now.  It takes a certain kind of person.  Even if you're not that kind of person your whole life, a reasonable stint to show you can hang can set your reputation.  People would say you have to give 110% to be a Marine, or a SEAL, or whatever your chosen elite force is.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

I would tend to agree, they are the bleeding edge of tech right now.  It takes a certain kind of person.  Even if you're not that kind of person your whole life, a reasonable stint to show you can hang can set your reputation.  People would say you have to give 110% to be a Marine, or a SEAL, or whatever your chosen elite force is.
View Quote

Yes sir
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:23:37 AM EDT
[#12]
If he decides to look up Raytheon (or other Raytheon Technology companies -Collins Aerospace or Pratty & Whitney) instead, PM me I may be able to do a referral if there is an opening he is interested in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#13]
As someone who works with a fair amount of former SpaceX personnel, can't say I've ever been told anything positive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ll let u know what happens; has his last interview once we get back from DC;
His speciality is designing/testing micro RF antenas

Truth be told, he is going to be working Starlink systems
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top