Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2024 2:26:06 AM EDT
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the oil injection systems on this vintage outboards? This particular outboard runs great and I, nor my father in law, have had any issues with the oiling on it.  I know certain outboards its known that you're better off to just mix and not rely on the oil injection systems.  I have no idea about Yamaha though.  This is my first one.  

I know it has an oil tank on board, is it alright to use this or should I disable/remove and just mix the oil/gas?

Any input is appreciated.  This is on a 1984 Alumacraft 17 MV Bandit hull.  Given to me by my father in law.  Just a little boat to take the boys out fishing once in a while.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Due to age I would premix for added peace of mind.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#2]
Yammie oil injection is/was pretty damn good.

Keep the oil tank and filters clean.
Use a good oil.
(Still new pumps available on internet.)

Still some of the older ones running around up here in Alaska with very little maintenance done to them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Appreciate the replies, fellas.  

I'm seeing quite a few people on the internet saying the Yamaha oil injection systems are pretty solid.  

Always makes me nervous though...relying on a system like this to oil the engine.  I haven't made a decision yet....hoping for more input.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
No in hull tank on this one.  Only the tank on the outboard as far as I know.  I haven't been able to inspect the outboard to a great degree yet.  But I do know that there's no tank on the boat itself, I confirmed that with the guy that installed the outboard.  This was a repower from a Mercury 50hp outboard that had a ton of hours and was needing repairs...as cheaper to repower with this Yami.  

I have no reason to believe the tank/lines are dirty so I'll probably just keep on running it.  Appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Like mentioned above, keep the oil tank, lines and

filter clean and it will do just fine.  The oiling systems

that were problematic were the Johnson/Evinrude VRO systems,

Mercury "Auto Blend" and the early gear driven Mikuni pumps.

It wasn't the Mikuni pump that was the issue, it was the soft plastic

drive gear mounted on the crank that would get shredded.

the Yamaha probably has a Mikuni pump, but I haven't heard

of any issues with the Yamaha system.

Does it have an electronic "black box" for the oiling system?

I'm not a Yamaha guy but recall that some had a main oil tank in

the hull and a small tank on the engine. The oil tank on the engine being fed

with an electric pump?

@akethan will know and most likely correct me.
View Quote
My 99 yamaha 150FI saltwater series II had a remote tank and a tank on the engine.

Never had a problem as I was religious on clean oil and filter changes every year.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll have to figure out the filter situation and maybe get that changed.  I have no idea if it's been changed.

What do you guys suggest for good oil?  I might drain the system and refill with something known.  I don't know what's in it now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eclark53520:
I'll have to figure out the filter situation and maybe get that changed.  I have no idea if it's been changed.

What do you guys suggest for good oil?  I might drain the system and refill with something known.  I don't know what's in it now.
View Quote
Whatever dealer has in stock.

Might not be in stock anymore.
I ran bulk mercury oil in my yammie 150,40hp Johnson,merc 40hp and suzuki 140/85hp.
No problems with it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Alright, I actually have a half a gallon of Merc Quicksilver oil left over from the last boat.

I'll use that.  Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Call a couple Yamaha dealers, ask them if they have any of the oil pump system parts in stock. If they do, don't trust it.
Top Top