Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2019 3:44:29 PM EDT
If you guys have a reel that needs a new handle/crank or service, I definitely recommend Alan Tani. This is my Daiwa SLD30II, got it used for cheap, spooled it with Kast King 80 lb braid. The goal was to hand crank deep drop/sword fish or troll big plugs for grouper. Anyways, the crank handle seized up, so I ordered an “eBay upgrade.”  That was a disaster and didn’t work. I did manage to install it on my 330GTI on a surf rod, so it wasn’t a total waste of money. I reached out to Alan and got a price for his 5/0 upgrade handle plus shipping. It made sense, I pulled the trigger. Just got it back in the mail today and slapped it together. I love it. Can’t wait to troll for grouper and bottom fish for red snapper!

Link Posted: 6/14/2019 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good -

I read his forum a lot.  Fair amount of tips and tricks and how to's to keep things running.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Great forum. I post there quite often in the Fishing Antiques and Collectibles section
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#3]
And for the freshwater guys, Daiwa especially. Gary at the Tackle Trap is the man for cleaning/refurbing/tuning smaller freshwater reels.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 11:38:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ytka] [#4]
I was just thinking about Alan the other day and wondering if he was still working on reels. He worked over all of my saltwater gear when I lived in California. That was probably 15 years ago and all of it is still working like a champ. I fished with him a time or two. He was a guru then, so he's probably working miracles now.
Top Top