Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2024 10:28:18 PM EDT
I searched a bit for the antibiotics thread that was posted in this forum but can't seem to find it.

Where'd it go?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:53:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: markmars] [#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wasn't either of those - it was tacked in this forum and something like 18 pages long.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:52:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#3]
I think I found the thread you are looking for via a google search but when I click on it, it takes me directly to the main Survival Discussions main page.  So, it's been deleted.  No idea why.  Wonder if it has to do with the new restrictions on over the counter purchase of antibiotics.  I remember it as a tacked thread and it was a lot of pages.  

Related thread.  
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Antibiotics-will-be-restricted-to-prescription-only/17-706292/?

I think the thread you are looking for is entitled "What is a good broad spectrum antibiotic?"
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
I think I found the thread you are looking for via a google search but when I click on it, it takes me directly to the main Survival Discussions main page.  So, it's been deleted.  No idea why.  Wonder if it has to do with the new restrictions on over the counter purchase of antibiotics.  I remember it as a tacked thread and it was a lot of pages.  

Related thread.  
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Antibiotics-will-be-restricted-to-prescription-only/17-706292/?

I think the thread you are looking for is entitled "What is a good broad spectrum antibiotic?"
View Quote

Have you tried checking to see if the link was saved via archive.org?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

View Quote

I’m good at researching and finding thing but that is at the edge of my abilities. The title I came up with is the correct thread title for the missing thread.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:42:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scalped] [#6]

I’m good at researching and finding thing but that is at the edge of my abilities. The title I came up with is the correct thread title for the missing thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Maybe try searching for that thread in their archives, or browse manually via the below link. It would probably help to know the approximate dates of when the thread was active.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180101000000

ETA: I'm interested in reading that thread too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Maybe try searching for that thread in their archives, or browse manually via the below link. It would probably help to know the approximate dates of when the thread was active.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180101000000

ETA: I'm interested in reading that thread too.
View Quote

Nothing. I can find it on a google search of the site but nothing if you click on it so it’s been deleted. If it was just archived it wouldn’t have posters names but the info would still be there. It was a good thread with lots of useful info. I’m more interested in why it was deleted.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#8]
If I remember correctly the thread referenced this book:
Alton's Antibiotics and Infectious Disease: The Layman's Guide to Available Antibacterials in Austere Settings

It has a lot of information that was in the original thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Agree or not, buying antibiotics without a prescription is illegal.   The site has to be protected.  

Tj
View Quote

Interesting that the boot came down on arfcom for that specific knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:31:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#11]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

View All Quotes
Agree or not, buying antibiotics without a prescription is illegal.   The site has to be protected.  

Tj

Actually, it’s not illegal to buy them or possess them without a prescription. It is illegal to sell them without a prescription. Fish antibiotics sales weren’t regulated so many people purchased them and used them AND they are the exact same product. Again, not illegal and STILL not illegal. But, the FDA has been cracking down on sellers selling them without a prescription so they are getting harder and harder to get. They haven’t been charging any company criminally but are sending out warning letters to the companies who are/were selling them. You can still order antibiotics from outside the US but there is a chance, very low chance, they could get confiscated in customs. And, if they do get confiscated the companies will ship them to you again. You still haven’t committed a crime by buying or possessing them.

I stocked up when I heard about it. Per the Shelf Life Extension program, if stored in a cool, dry spot, most antibiotics are good for many years past their expiration dates.  Tetracycline is an exception so don’t use that much beyond expiration dates.

The two I keep on hand are doxycycline and amoxicillin.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Actually, it’s not illegal to buy them or possess them without a prescription. It is illegal to sell them without a prescription. Fish antibiotics sales weren’t regulated so many people purchased them and used them AND they are the exact same product. Again, not illegal and STILL not illegal. But, the FDA has been cracking down on sellers selling them without a prescription so they are getting harder and harder to get. They haven’t been charging any company criminally but are sending out warning letters to the companies who are/were selling them. You can still order antibiotics from outside the US but there is a chance, very low chance, they could get confiscated in customs. And, if they do get confiscated the companies will ship them to you again. You still haven’t committed a crime by buying or possessing them.

I stocked up when I heard about it. Per the Shelf Life Extension program, if stored in a cool, dry spot, most antibiotics are good for many years past their expiration dates.  Tetracycline is an exception so don’t use that much beyond expiration dates.

View All Quotes

Tj

Oh, I'm aware of all of that and also have a wide array of antibiotics stored at 40F in a dedicated mini-fridge. I was just commenting that I found it unusual that the big thread got nuked considering how essential antibiotics are to prepping.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Oh, I'm aware of all of that and also have a wide array of antibiotics stored at 40F in a dedicated mini-fridge. I was just commenting that I found it unusual that the big thread got nuked considering how essential antibiotics are to prepping.
View Quote

I agree.  I don't understand the reasoning.  All the same information is on the internet in various places it's just the thread had condensed public medical information into a single thread.  Seems pretty useful to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Thread appears to be back so guess it was reviewed. Still lots of good info in the thread even if it’s harder to get the antibiotics.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks everyone for looking into it - that's the one I'd remembered!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top