Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:16:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jollyg83] [#1]
@GTOMike87

What dealership are you with?  My wife and I are in the market for a 5th wheel for full timing.  

We’ve been looking at RVs for over a year now and pretty ready to pull the trigger.  

I’d love to give business to an Arfcomer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:22:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GTOMike87] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
@GTOMike87

What dealership are you with?  My wife and I are in the market for a 5th wheel for full timing.  

We’ve been looking at RVs for over a year now and pretty ready to pull the trigger.  

I’d love to give business to an Arfcomer.
View Quote

@jollyg83

I don’t want to break any rules here, but if you want to send me a message I’m happy to help you guys out. Not sure where you are, but I’m in Ashland.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
@GTOMike87

I’m researching lightweight travel trailer’s that sleep at least 5 and have an interior bathroom/shower.

Is there something on this list that you recommend above others?

https://www.rvingknowhow.com/travel-trailers-under-5000-lbs/
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
@GTOMike87

I’m researching lightweight travel trailer’s that sleep at least 5 and have an interior bathroom/shower.

Is there something on this list that you recommend above others?

https://www.rvingknowhow.com/travel-trailers-under-5000-lbs/
View Quote

Of those presented I’d give the nod to the Winnebago or R-Pod, unless you’re trying to stay a little less expensive, in which case the Clipper is a solid option. Airstream always makes a good product as well. A Coachmen Apex Nano may work as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the recommendations.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone have any good products and or techniques to remove oxidation from our RV.

See Picture
Attachment Attached File

In the picture you can see where we have been experimenting with different products on the bottom of the RV.
Someone had removed the stickers and underneath the stickers it shows what the original finish did look like.
Is it possible to order a new sticker package for these rigs?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#7]
What's your opinion on the AS Basecamps?

May be doing some contract work a couple of hours from home for the next few years, so it would be sitting for months at a time in one spot, me crashing there at night and going to work M-F. Spending 4 nights per week in it and home on weekends. Also using it for long weekend camping trips in SE and a few cross country trips as well with just my wife. We're not interested in recreating home on the road, just a comfortable place to sleep, eat, shower and poop that my Tundra call easily tow. I like the simplicity of them as well.
I prefer quality over size.
Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
What's your opinion on the AS Basecamps?

May be doing some contract work a couple of hours from home for the next few years, so it would be sitting for months at a time in one spot, me crashing there at night and going to work M-F. Spending 4 nights per week in it and home on weekends. Also using it for long weekend camping trips in SE and a few cross country trips as well with just my wife. We're not interested in recreating home on the road, just a comfortable place to sleep, eat, shower and poop that my Tundra call easily tow. I like the simplicity of them as well.
I prefer quality over size.
Any other suggestions?
View Quote

Airstreams have developed a great reputation for good reason. Their support and quality is hard to match in a mainstream product. If you decide those are a little small you may look into Winnebago, Grand Design, Lance, or even the New Alliance Delta line (the last one depends on how much tow capacity you have).
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Boredom bump now that camping season is basically here.

While I’m here I’ll let you in on a little secret: if you’re in the market for a Motorhome there are some crazy good deals to be had. For instance, did a deal earlier this week that lost the company something like $130,000 and got a pat on the back lol.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bosqueboy:
Does anyone have any good products and or techniques to remove oxidation from our RV.

See Picture
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/323474/RV_Oxidation_jpg-3018058.JPG

In the picture you can see where we have been experimenting with different products on the bottom of the RV.
Someone had removed the stickers and underneath the stickers it shows what the original finish did look like.
Is it possible to order a new sticker package for these rigs?
View Quote

Amazon Product
  • EASY TO USE: Our formula offers long-lasting polymer protection and incredible deep gloss to fiberglass and gel coat surfaces

I have used this, unless it is really bad, it should help
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By migradog:
Do you have an opinion on the Gulfstream Track and Trail 17RTHSE?

I'm looking for a small (Under 21ft) toyhauler that can hold my RZR 570.
View Quote

I’ve never seen one in person, Gulfstreams have always been a decent value product. Parts are easily available, I can’t speak to the build quality of those in particular.

If it fits your needs and your budget I’d say go for it. None are perfect by any means.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:34:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#13]
Originally Posted By lew:

@JLH3

Interesting. How is it for insulation? I will be doing a lot of winter camping.
View Quote

They have a "thermal pack" that is effectively a quilt around the inside. The gas "furnace" they use should be able to keep up pretty well (lots of Youtube videos of people winter camping in them). You will burn through a lot of gas and the tanks aren't big. Just reasearch I have done in looking to buy one.

I have seen people remote mount or permanently install diesel heaters in them, which may be a more efficient option. I don't know how that compares to the Trumas in the brand new FWCs.

I have considered a shell model, so having no propane is a possibility there, and it's a lot easier to fill diesel. The propane tank are also rearwards weight. IMO the main benefit of the shell is DIYing a good 12V chest fridge/freezer down low in the front of the camper vs the built-in vertical fridge. Can also install the batteries further forward.

Like any winter camping, the most efficient way is to use the heater to keep the temp comfortable when you're getting up or up and around, and shut it off and get in the 0° bag and open all the vents when it's time for bed.

I've been looking at Four Wheel Campers because it seems like they're the best-built pop up truck camper. Would be interested in OPs opinion on them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:

They have a "thermal pack" that is effectively a quilt around the inside. The gas "furnace" they use should be able to keep up pretty well (lots of Youtube videos of people winter camping in them). You will burn through a lot of gas and the tanks aren't big. Just reasearch I have done in looking to buy one.

I've been looking at Four Wheel Campers because it seems like they're the best-built pop up truck camper. Would be interested in OPs opinion on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@JLH3

Interesting. How is it for insulation? I will be doing a lot of winter camping.

Good info. I have three kids, and their comfort range is more limited. We've settled on an Arctic Fox as the best bang for our buck. Contrary to my previous statement I don't plan on doing a whole lot of winter camping, but it is nice to have that option and the extra insurance in the shoulder seasons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#15]

I have seen people remote mount or permanently install diesel heaters in them, which may be a more efficient option. I don't know how that compares to the Trumas in the brand new FWCs.

I have considered a shell model, so having no propane is a possibility there, and it's a lot easier to fill diesel. The propane tank are also rearwards weight. IMO the main benefit of the shell is DIYing a good 12V chest fridge/freezer down low in the front of the camper vs the built-in vertical fridge. Can also install the batteries further forward.

Like any winter camping, the most efficient way is to use the heater to keep the temp comfortable when you're getting up or up and around, and shut it off and get in the 0° bag and open all the vents when it's time for bed.

View Quote

I have to show my ignorance of that market segment a little bit here. Truck campers aren’t very popular around here, or east of the Mississippi from what I understand so I know just enough to be dangerous about them. I can’t say I’m familiar with that brand.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:
I have to show my ignorance of that market segment a little bit here. Truck campers aren’t very popular around here, or east of the Mississippi from what I understand so I know just enough to be dangerous about them. I can’t say I’m familiar with that brand.
View Quote

Where I grew up in the Midwest, truck campers were 1 in 20 RVs, maybe. Out this way, probably a third of what I see going down the highway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Towing anything thru the Rockies seems like it would be difficult and hard on equipment.

At least with a carry on camper, it's already a heavy duty truck and you don't have to worry about brakes on a heavy camper.

I understand it, but I have never drove in the western mountains. My pucker factor would be high compared to what I am used to
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
Towing anything thru the Rockies seems like it would be difficult and hard on equipment.

At least with a carry on camper, it's already a heavy duty truck and you don't have to worry about brakes on a heavy camper.

I understand it, but I have never drove in the western mountains. My pucker factor would be high compared to what I am used to
View Quote

It is hard on the vehicles, even one ton and above trucks. If you want to get off road at all, that precludes a dually, and trailers are already a pain to pull on less-than-deal roads. A truck camper can basically go wherever the truck can, and I'm not rock crawling or mudding, so it will work.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#19]
@GTOMike87 are you working the Mid Atlantic RV Expo this weekend?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#20]

Good info. I have three kids, and their comfort range is more limited. We've settled on an Arctic Fox as the best bang for our buck. Contrary to my previous statement I don't plan on doing a whole lot of winter camping, but it is nice to have that option and the extra insurance in the shoulder seasons.
View Quote

Arctic Fox hardside should be pretty easy to keep warm. Lots of people hot camp in them in the Rockies at ski areas.

View Quote

You don't see many here. Four Wheel campers are made in CA, and they cost $25kish and up, and they hold value due to the metal construction. Once you get to the Rockies, they're all over. In Idaho a few weeks ago, 2 or 3 out of 20ish campers were FWC, and there were a couple other soft side truck campers. And about half were vans, lol.

Originally Posted By lizARdman15:

View Quote

Honestly, a big heavy truck camper designed for a dually can be harder on the truck than towing a camper. And even a 3500 dually is technically over payload with some of them.

To me, the sweet spot is a lightweight setup that you wouldn't even notice on an HD. The shell 6.5" Four Wheel Camper models are around 800, which is pretty much unnoticeable even on a half ton, as long as you have air bags, sway bar, and don't load it down with crap.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By touchracing:
@GTOMike87 are you working the Mid Atlantic RV Expo this weekend?
View Quote

In Doswell? My company will be there in a big way, but I’ll be at our store. Anything you’re looking for there? If the past few shows are any indicator this should be a pretty decent event for us. I think we’re targeting 100 rigs this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#22]
So does that mean you work for the big red dealer?  I see the Brinkley travel trailer will be on display.  I’m working the show as a vendor.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By touchracing:
So does that mean you work for the big red dealer?  I see the Brinkley travel trailer will be on display.  I’m working the show as a vendor.
View Quote

That’s correct! And yes, it looks like we’ll have one there. Brinkleys have been a massive hit so far, we can’t keep them on the ground.

Are you the Cutgo guy or the electric scooter guy?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Lmfao no. RV Life Pro
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Arctic Fox hardside should be pretty easy to keep warm. Lots of people hot camp in them in the Rockies at ski areas.
View Quote

Good to know and to have that flexibility. Weather can be variable in a lot of places; in the Rockies and high plains, it's the rule.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a 2 year old Coleman (Coachman) 24ft trailer that is under cover for most of the day, but gets morning sunlight.  How important is it to do apply UV coatings to the roof and, if it is, what's the best one?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JLH3:
I have a 2 year old Coleman (Coachman) 24ft trailer that is under cover for most of the day, but gets morning sunlight.  How important is it to do apply UV coatings to the roof and, if it is, what's the best one?
View Quote

Find out which roof material it is. If rubber, I’ve always stuck to doing it once a year. If TPO or PVC then I’ve been told that it doesn’t need to be UV treated. Now, I’m a big believer in a seal inspection once a year no matter what.

And not to be pedantic, but I think the Coleman campers are made by Dutchmen (a division of Keystone, itself a division of Thor industries).
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Find out which roof material it is. If rubber, I've always stuck to doing it once a year. If TPO or PVC then I've been told that it doesn't need to be UV treated. Now, I'm a big believer in a seal inspection once a year no matter what.

And not to be pedantic, but I think the Coleman campers are made by Dutchmen (a division of Keystone, itself a division of Thor industries).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLH3:

Find out which roof material it is. If rubber, I've always stuck to doing it once a year. If TPO or PVC then I've been told that it doesn't need to be UV treated. Now, I'm a big believer in a seal inspection once a year no matter what.

Thanks.   Yes, you're right, it's Dutchman.  Here is what their website says the roof is made out of:

Durable Roof Structure
TPO Roof
3/8" Decking
Fiberglass Insulation
Lauan Interior Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top