Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2023 2:50:12 PM EDT
Hey folks

Figured this was the best place on the whole interwebs to ask this question, although I've read some very good threads, wanted to phrase it directly

Are you seeing any dramatic or big difference on the effectivenss of 5.56.223 and 7.62x39 on deer and hogs?
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dana] [#1]
I am surprised no one has answered this. I would also like to know but i dont have any good info for you. I have used 6.5 Grendel on hog and it is fantastic. I would say almost perfect.  fits regular sized AR lower, flat shooting, light recoil, good terminal ballistics. I would say as good or better than the 7.62x39 ballistics. I would feel confident stretching it out to 300 yards. I cant say the same about 5.56. But maybe it would do fine. But I know you are not asking about the 6.5.

I have thought of getting rid of the 6.5 for ammo logistics reasons. I asked a lot about the 5.56 and the consensus is it works with good bullet selection. But i cant say I have 100% confidence in it like i do the 6.5.  That led me to look at the 7.62x39 and building a upper. What i learned is that there are enough minor issues with 7.62x39 in a AR platform that it might not be worth it for me. Plus the ballistics of 7.62x39 get a little iffy over say 150-200 yards. I dont think i would be using it that far out but as a general hunting rifle i would like to be able to use it in open fields on coyote or hogs if they show their face. That might stretch the distance a bit and i like to have room for error in my effective range. At longer range like over 200 yards on small things like a coyote I would probably rather have my 5.56 than 7.62x39. Inside of 100 yards on deer and hog I would probably rather have 7.62. But I have zero experience using either round on actual animals. So take what i say with a grain of salt.

For all round flexibility with good ammo i kind of give the nod to 5.56. But if for example i was hunting only in the north GA mountains where my shots were 50 yards or less a 12.5" barrel suppressed 7.62x39 AR would be pretty nice. But supersonic 300blk might be even better since ballistics are similar and parts are more common with standard AR parts.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dana:
I am surprised no one has answered this. I would also like to know but i dont have any good info for you. I have used 6.5 Grendel on hog and it is fantastic. I would say almost perfect.  fits regular sized AR lower, flat shooting, light recoil, good terminal ballistics. I would say as good or better than the 7.62x39 ballistics. I would feel confident stretching it out to 300 yards. I cant say the same about 5.56. But maybe it would do fine. But I know you are not asking about the 6.5.

I have thought of getting rid of the 6.5 for ammo logistics reasons. I asked a lot about the 5.56 and the consensus is it works with good bullet selection. But i cant say I have 100% confidence in it like i do the 6.5.  That led me to look at the 7.62x39 and building a upper. What i learned is that there are enough minor issues with 7.62x39 in a AR platform that it might not be worth it for me. Plus the ballistics of 7.62x39 get a little iffy over say 150-200 yards. I dont think i would be using it that far out but as a general hunting rifle i would like to be able to use it in open fields on coyote or hogs if they show their face. That might stretch the distance a bit and i like to have room for error in my effective range. At longer range like over 200 yards on small things like a coyote I would probably rather have my 5.56 than 7.62x39. Inside of 100 yards on deer and hog I would probably rather have 7.62. But I have zero experience using either round on actual animals. So take what i say with a grain of salt.

For all round flexibility with good ammo i kind of give the nod to 5.56. But if for example i was hunting only in the north GA mountains where my shots were 50 yards or less a 12.5" barrel suppressed 7.62x39 AR would be pretty nice. But supersonic 300blk might be even better since ballistics are similar and parts are more common with standard AR parts.
View Quote
I think it's safe to assume nobody answered it because all of this has been addressed for years in so many threads and other sources such as YouTube.

223/5.56 does work. However most experience hunters get tired of losing animals due to the small size.
that's why we all move up to something that hits like a freight train, instead of a Miata.

If I had it all to do over again I'd started with AR10 in 308.  
I run 6.8spc and it's puts coyotes and hogs down right there..... and I have thought about 6.5. But ammo selections for both are nowhere near what's available for 308 or other established rounds.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't hunt with them but to me the flat shooting of the 5.56 would move it ahead of the 7.62X39.

Many folks go the other way as they claim the bigger hole and heavier bullet kills better.

Seems to me with 5.56 I would have a better chance of landing the bullet where I intend .

Either one with ball ammo is not going to perform as well as a real primium hunting bullet. I know such loads are available in 5.56 but a real good hunting load in 7.62X39 is going to take some looking .

Just because Wolf or Barnull calls it a hollow point doesn't mean it will be decent on game

u
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
7.62x39 is great has a 30 caliber bullet hood out to 200 yards
Hogs need a bigger hole
233/556 works with proper ear shots
6.8SPC is great also
Blackstone Arms has great barrels
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I swapped out my 5.56 nighttime rig with a PWS 7.62x39 upper about a year ago & I've never looked back. I had few k of 7.62x39 ammo laying around, so it made sense. I purchased a RRA in 7.62x39 and it's stupid accurate with cheap steel case ammo... Even with the price spike in 7.62x39, it's still cheaper to shoot than other similar calibers in the same category. 5.56 does the job also, I've had the best luck with heavier grain flavors in 5.56/223. One night I shot a few hogs gathered them up and turned off my thermal and put my rifle down waiting for my buddy to help me drag and weigh them. 3-5 minute after i turned off my thermal, I had a lone boar come in within 7-10 yards and it was pitch black out.... I somehow managed to bend down, turn on my thermal & blasted him just under the eye as I shouldered my gun. The boar did a damn back flip & ran 20 yards with a 75 grain otm to the face. Luckily when it flipped and landed, I wasn't in its path anymore or I would've been in trouble. 5.56 is great when you have the time to place your shots but for a brush gun 250y and in, I would take 7.62x39 over 5.56/223.  Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I have no experience with hogs, but I've put down 3 deer with 7.62x39 with no problems whatsoever. Unfortunately, it has since been outlawed in my state. I had a recent conversation about this round vs. the .350 Legend, which has become the unofficial state round for deer. Given the same weight bullet, there is only 200 fps difference between the two rounds. The .350 seems to put deer down immediately as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dawg69:
I have no experience with hogs, but I've put down 3 deer with 7.62x39 with no problems whatsoever. Unfortunately, it has since been outlawed in my state. I had a recent conversation about this round vs. the .350 Legend, which has become the unofficial state round for deer. Given the same weight bullet, there is only 200 fps difference between the two rounds. The .350 seems to put deer down immediately as well.
View Quote

When you say outlawed, you mean no longer allowed for deer?  I wonder why that is; it's ballistically identical to a .30-30, which has killed literally millions of deer for a century.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 1:54:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JackieDaytona] [#8]
Thank you for the answers, all.

I've since narrowed it down to 6.5 Grendel vs 7.62x39, and willing to call that a wash....unless you're reaching out there. One has a lot of cheap surplus, the other has range and a wider selection of monos, which I like. Although reloading the 7.62x39 with 110 and 120gr Barnes Tac-Tx and Hornady CX bullets for the 300 BLK is working, the fact they cant fit in mags due to OAL issues is a bummer.

Course, there IS 300 BLK as well.

Anway, appreciate all the input! And Dana, your comments are still relevant!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top