Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By die-tryin:
How much snow ya get ? Id keep as much off ground as possible, generator looks good for temp but id find a better home if it wad me.
View Quote
The porch roof will extend out over it and provide an added layer of coverage.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:42:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#2]
Originally Posted By Davidrw5150:

Thanks for the info..... we are on the same page. Currently I am clearing ALL trees within 50 ft of my cabin, moving further out with one that are within falling distance. I plan on laying gravel out to the 50 ft area and using raised garden boxes for my garden and herbs..... over the winter I will be thinning down all the tree on the lower section of the property as well as cleaning up the ‘dog hair’ branches of all trees. In the spring I will be getting goats and hogs to help begin the clean up of the brush on the upper part of my property....

My neighbor has a bulldozer and we are already planning on reclaiming the fire break lines that have grown up over the years.
View Quote
In looking at your pics you have a real high density (aka western dog-hair stand) of "second" growth trees for as far as the pics can see. It's great you're thinning out 50 ft. and I would suggest thinning the "density" (not just the lower branches) of trees throughout your property.

Branches down to the ground are called "ladder fuels" that allow a ground fire to climb into the crowns where they take off in high stand densities in what's called a "crown fire". I see all that in those pics, and especially since your cabin is at the head of a upward slope and fires like to go uphill naturally.  Put a wind behind all that = BIG trouble.

I'd pen your pigs but let the goats do their thing since they'll eat up invasive weeds also.  IMO pigs are way too damaging especially if they get loose. Wild pigs are a plague.

In the west a lot of range country requires a land owner to fence off their property from free-ranging domestic livestock. If you want your goats to stick to your property you'll need to fence it.  That won't work with pigs since they'll bust out. If you want to raise pigs you'll should securely pen them.

Idaho against feral pigs

Your adjacent state

More Idaho

What is commonly done in Arkansas doesn't hold water in Idaho.

IMO I'd forget pigs and raise chickens and turkeys.  Buy your pork from a store, butcher or from a 4-Her.

Feral pigs are a disaster.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice job OP! Definitely living vicariously as others have stated. The more pics and stories the better.

For fire protection; can you build some water storage into your setup, or is it planned? Even a couple thousand gallons to wet down the structure and surrounding area would be better than nothing. That along with the mitigation you’re already planning puts you in a much better spot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Did I miss it in the thread but there is a building to the right of your yurt cabin, when did that go in and any build pics of it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Raisable roof on your generator house?

Or do you just pull it out from under the cover?

Looks like the latter, based on the "driveway" you built onto the little generator house.

(This may be a stupid question.  I'm still learning about generators.).
View Quote
I just pull it out like .... it’s more like a garage.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
Did I miss it in the thread but there is a building to the right of your yurt cabin, when did that go in and any build pics of it?
View Quote
That is actually an on site storage unit that I rented locally. $70 a month was affordable enough for an10x20 storage unit. It is used for both storage and a small workshop.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Hows it going OP?
Just checking in with you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]

That is actually an on site storage unit that I rented locally. $70 a month was affordable enough for an10x20 storage unit. It is used for both storage and a small workshop.
View Quote
Why not just buy a 20’ conex instead?
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

View Quote
If you heat them it rains inside all winter unless you get an insulated one and they cost quite a bit more than a regular one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

View Quote
$3250 plus delivery just wasn’t in the budget. I plan on building a timber frame shop next year so the rental unit was the most affordable solution at this time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven’t updated much as I have been working at the neighbors for the last week or so. We are prepping the foundation for his building and have been pushing hard to get it set so we can get
The framing done before the weather sets in..... we may or may not make it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Ohhhh!  I hope you're still going with this thread when you put up that shop.  Would love to see that go up!
View Quote
Oh yeah I will be posting continually. I have a timber frame cabin to build for my mother the shop, smokehouse, and my animal shelters etc.....
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Any update or still working with your neighbor?
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By swampfox3:
Any update or still working with your neighbor?  
View Quote
I’m buttoning up the cabin and heading back to my dads for Christmas. I will be bringing back another load of tools and equipment. Other than helping the neighbor I have just been bringing trees down to go to the mill for my timber frame project. Nothing too exciting at the moment.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks you also and safe travels.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:22:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Very cool.

I'm  jealous.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 2:52:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Any updates? Been a month since the OP last posted.

Dude...you freeze to death?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 3:20:10 AM EDT
[#22]
cool thread. whens the next update?!
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#23]
All is good.... made it back from Ohio with my moving truck and got it unloaded and returned a day before the snow hit.  With chains on my truck access had not been a problem to the property and by the end of this week my plow should show up.

The cabin had been shedding snow better than I thought it would and I picked up a new wood stove that burns a lot cleaner than the cook stove, so no more layer of soot covering everything.
Attachment Attached File

Moving forward I will probably get a part time job in town for the remainder of the winter just to get me out a little more. I am also planning on getting my sawmill delivered mid/late Feb (weather permitting) so I have a little time to get it set and ready to go for spring.

Satellite internet may also be in the near future as well. Neighbor is getting it this week so I will see if it is worth it before I pull the trigger. That will enable me to update a little more frequently.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#24]
No puppy for Christmas?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Thank you for making this thread, I am really enjoying it. Looking forward to more updates with lots of pics!!
You have a really nice setup.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for all the pics/info.  Good stuff.  Hope you're staying warm out there, and good luck as you keep building.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mag162:
I didnt see if this was asked yet but a ballpark on what the land cost in that area of Idaho?
View Quote
It all depends on access, utilities, etc....

My property has decent access but no well, with electricity within 1/4 mile.....it was approx $3k an acre.

My neighbor had a well and it was almost $5k an acre.

Another property just down the road with electricity a well and a small house is almost $10k an acre
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
No puppy for Christmas?
View Quote
No puppy for Christmas.... gonna wait til spring when I start with my chickens and ducks....
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Great thread. Following as I plan to build on some land soon. What is your plan for water? Wells here are pretty expensive as they have to be deep.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SFENDER:
Great thread. Following as I plan to build on some land soon. What is your plan for water? Wells here are pretty expensive as they have to be deep.
View Quote
Rainwater collection. I will be starting with a 2000 gallon tank and expand it as needed. Wells here are outrageous.  My neighbors is about 200’ if I understood him and I’m not in the position nor do I have a desire to have one drilled.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Rainwater collection. I will be starting with a 2000 gallon tank and expand it as needed. Wells here are outrageous.  My neighbors is about 200’ if I understood him and I’m not in the position nor do I have a desire to have one drilled.
View Quote
What would a 200ft well cost to drill?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Well,I got my snowplow and got it assembled.  I was able to clear out most of the snow around the cabin to make parking and turning around easier. We have had about 28" in the last week and a half and it was just getting a little too deep to drive through. It worked great and I will be able to do my drive and my 1/4 mile road down to may neighbors so he can get in and out too.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

The 4" drop receiver comes in on Tuesday and will allow me to get down a little more and clean it up a bit. But as of right now I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice, how do you like that plow? Are you staying warm with the insulation and the new wood stove? The wind is what gets me here. Looks like you have protection with those trees.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:50:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#37]

Is that controlled from inside your truck?  Height and everything?

Kitties does not live in enough snow to know about these things.
View Quote
It is actually a free floating plow. I lower by hand ( it rides on the upright rails) and when I go forward it digs in and plows, then when I back up tension is released on blade and it floats over the ground. Then when I go forward it digs in again and plows. Works really well.

Here’s a quick video of how it works....
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SFENDER:
Nice, how do you like that plow? Are you staying warm with the insulation and the new wood stove? The wind is what gets me here. Looks like you have protection with those trees.
View Quote
So far the plow works great.... will work even better when I get the drop receiver and it is able to ride at the correct height.

I am staying VERY warm and comfortable with the new fireplace. I rarely have to burn more than one log at a time. I could easily turn my cabin into a sweat lodge if I wanted. I am also fairly protected from the wind, but I do get some pretty heavy gusting occasionally.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Happy to hear from you, and know you are well.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By kill-9:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kill-9:

Happy to hear from you, and know you are well.
This! Congrats on  your move*, and your progress!

*I moved to western ID late last year!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#42]

That's really cool.

I saw no chains on those trucks, so I'm wondering how they push that snow without either traction or weight.

(Kitties speaks, never having lived farther north than Kentucky, where snow comes hard and heavy and deep just every now and then. Maybe once every winter, so we can get a decent snowman. )

But now and then there is more, and every schmo with a skid steer shows up to help dig people out.  In the country where I live, it's on the farmers with tractors and blades.  Without them we would not get out of our driveways.

So this blade interests me.  But it seems like a normal truck could not do what those trucks are doing on snow, without some kind of amendments.
View Quote
Depends on the terrain..... if your relatively flat, and the snow is not super heavy/wet you should have no problem operating without chains.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Had a break in the rain and decided to throw a roof on my back porch using all the extra lumber I had around the cabin...... the only thing I still need is some metal sheeting( which my neighbor is seeing if he has enough scrap around) .

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As I said I repurposed all the lumber from previous projects so it’s not perfect but will suffice until I have the time and material to finish the exterior....
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Had a break in the rain and decided to throw a roof on my back porch using all the extra lumber I had around the cabin...... the only thing I still need is some metal sheeting( which my neighbor is seeing if he has enough scrap around) .

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/7F0D71E6-2C3C-4148-AFB7-0CE733CD89D0_jpe-1247363.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/715AA73F-1E39-45B2-831C-839DE9A831B0_jpe-1247364.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/986F2E23-B6C5-4A83-AA1D-6E14E117F8B6_jpe-1247365.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384426/70EF8DE8-8E42-49D8-8E99-8EC733B9B952_jpe-1247366.JPG

As I said I repurposed all the lumber from previous projects so it’s not perfect but will suffice until I have the time and material to finish the exterior....
View Quote
Looking good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#46]

I think it's AWESOME.

That back porch roof will end up paying for itself in convenience and comfort alone.

I don't remember if you mentioned those triangular windows...maybe I just forgot.

Did you get them locally or did you have to order?  Those are very cool.
View Quote
I picked them up off craigslist for $100 back in September.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Just checking in.  I know you dont have internet access at your place.  Any updates?

Hope you are staying warm!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey! I’m still here.... I just now ordered my saw mill and it should arrive within 2 weeks. Over the last couple of day I just started clearing the main area where my barns, greenhouse, and my mom’s place will be going.....so far 20 trees ranging in size fro 4” to 24” have been dropped and set aside for the mill, firewood, and the brush.

I am also starting a part time job at the local lumber yard in March as well..... cabin fever was getting a little bad over the last month or so.....

Will update shortly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Glad to hear things are going well!

I def understand wanting to get a part time job to pass some time.  A little extra cash is never a bad thing either

Will be interesting to see some progress pics when you get the mill up and running.  Making your own lumber and building what you need from it is awesome!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Awesome thread OP! My wife and I want to do something similar one day.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top