Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2023 9:01:13 PM EDT
My son is hunt a black powder Blacktail starting Saturday. We have been practicing and he is getting better with the open sights. He will be shooting a Knights rifle.

The downside, kinda, of black powder is you must clean everything every time you shoot. Well, I finally got smart and pulled out the ultrasonic cleaner. The bolt parts, breach block and nipple were clean in about 10 seconds using it.

Even old dogs can learn new tricks!

FWIW, the Oregon black powder Blacktail tag is one of the best in the world. If you want a big Blacktail that’s the one to get.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Ballistol mixed 50/50 with water will clean up black powder so easily you will want to sell that ultrasonic.

MPro-7 also cuts black powder.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Ballistol mixed 50/50 with water will clean up black powder so easily you will want to sell that ultrasonic.

MPro-7 also cuts black powder.
View Quote

I’ll get some for the action. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Switch to blackhorn 209 powder.
I don't clean until 7-8 shots, with little change in accuracy.  After shot #7 it starts to get hard to push a sabot down the barrel but powerbelts still load fairly smooth.  After shot 8 my groups will open way up without cleaning though.
CVA Optima with the bergara barrel.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Dawn and water is the go to for black powder.

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tornadochaser:
Switch to blackhorn 209 powder.
I don't clean until 7-8 shots, with little change in accuracy.  After shot #7 it starts to get hard to push a sabot down the barrel but powerbelts still load fairly smooth.  After shot 8 my groups will open way up without cleaning though.
CVA Optima with the bergara barrel.
View Quote

I wish we could use 209’s and sabots. We are limited to open ignition with #11 caps, open sight, loose powder and round or mini balls. We have a cva and two knights rifles. The knights would be excellent with sabots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top