Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2024 7:11:25 PM EDT
I may have screwed up my shaft on my little Woods 48" hog.  Went to sharpen the blades by jacking up the rear and setting on jack stands.  Did the job but upon setting it down it looks like I had the male end (I had seperated the two halves) of the PTO shaft had been pinched against the framework of the mower as I jacked it up.  Doesn't look obviously bent or distorted but now I can't slide the two halves together all the way.  Goes about halfway there then stops.  Like something isn't quite right.  I also cannot get the connection "started" in any other orientation other than one.  Weird.  The tubing is the triangular-ish in cross section stuff and I would think I could get it together any way.  Someone please advise.  Stuff's growing fast and I need my mower...
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Look for a burr
Use a file to remove it if you find one
Add grease
Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Why sharpen bush hog blades? They are whirling hammers of doom. One row of a field, or one stump, or one rock and they will return to their natural state.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Look for a burr
Use a file to remove it if you find one
Add grease
Hope that helps.
View Quote

So it SHOULD fit together any way?  I looked and felt but didn't see or feel anything.  On the list for later though...
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
Why sharpen bush hog blades? They are whirling hammers of doom. One row of a field, or one stump, or one rock and they will return to their natural state.
View Quote

LOL.  I know.  My OCD got the best of me here I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The two halves of the PTO shaft I have only go together in one orientation.  There's one "lobe" that is a little different than the other two - if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I also don't sharpen mine.  

I'd rather have a small tree get busted up than cut.  Cutting it leaves it pointy, smashed leaves it blunt and less likely to puncture a tire.  

Not my idea - I read it somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rktman26:
The two halves of the PTO shaft I have only go together in one orientation.  There's one "lobe" that is a little different than the other two - if that makes sense.
View Quote

This.

One side of the triangle shaped shaft may have a flat top too it rather then being rounded. Much easier then finding the internal spline that is slightly larger then all the others like New Holland did on my baler.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I sharpen mine.  Don't get them as sharp as my lawn mower blades but do clean up the blades for mowing.  I don't mow much in the way of thick brush though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#9]
You may have dented your pto shaft guard.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I sharpen the blades on my brush hog a couple times a year, very easy to raise it up and crawl under with a 4" flap disk and give it a slight edge, tractor works much less and cuts shit clean.
Takes 5 minutes.
Like others have said pto shafts only go on one way, have to look at it close to see the different humps.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Going in part way and stopping sounds like a dent or bend to me. Got a drive line shop near by?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rktman26:
View Quote

Thank you.  Helps narrow it down.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
You may have dented your pto shaft guard.
View Quote

Took the guards off to inspect.  The pressure nearly put a cut in the plastic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Well after a lot of online educating myself on PTO shafts I believe it's bent or tweaked in some way.  It's the "Italian" style shaft.  Supposedly needs to be straight as an arrow or it won't go together right.  Going to try to contact a drive line shop and see if they can fix it.  Otherwise a new complete assembly runs about $250 or so.  Consider it a lesson learned.  Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#15]
If the pressure only nearly cut the plastic, I'd be surprised if the shaft actually got bent.

The ones I've used, and even the two I have are seriously hefty.  The pto shaft for my chipper is a pain to put back together mostly because of the shield blocking easy eyesight and manipulation.

Are you completely unable to slide them together?  Or are they sticky after you get them slid together?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By deerranger:
I sharpen the blades on my brush hog a couple times a year, very easy to raise it up and crawl under with a 4" flap disk and give it a slight edge, tractor works much less and cuts shit clean.
Takes 5 minutes.
Like others have said pto shafts only go on one way, have to look at it close to see the different humps.
View Quote

@deerranger
How do you support your mower. I want to sharpen mine but that kind of scares me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Well after a lot of online educating myself on PTO shafts I believe it's bent or tweaked in some way.  It's the "Italian" style shaft.  Supposedly needs to be straight as an arrow or it won't go together right.  Going to try to contact a drive line shop and see if they can fix it.  Otherwise a new complete assembly runs about $250 or so.  Consider it a lesson learned.  Thanks for the help!
View Quote

Go to the place you bought it. I’ve done this several times. They can either repair or replace in about 30 minutes if not too busy. Take the entire shaft with you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I put the bucket of the excavator under the mower, you really only have to go underneath by the tail wheel, only your arms are under the deck.
A log or some blocks will keep you safe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Sharp blades make much cleaner cuts on grass & stringy stuff. Where I grew up there was an Amish blacksmith that would heat & hammer them for $40 a set. They last much longer when hammered to a fine edge vs sharpened with a grinder. And big blades would take a couple hours to sharpen with a grinder.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Go to the place you bought it. I’ve done this several times. They can either repair or replace in about 30 minutes if not too busy. Take the entire shaft with you.
View Quote

I may do this Saturday.  Place is an hour away though.  If that fails I have seen the tubing available online for pretty cheap.  I played around with it the other day and went as far as to knock the roll pin out of the fitting but I need to know how to knock the tubing out.  Is a press of some sort needed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top