Site Notices
Cabin build thread (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:
Looking good! Spending a lot of time up there this summer?
View Quote

Yep, use it as my office working from home. 8-5 m-f.
It’s been really nice.  Pretty much peaks at 80* all summer with a nice breeze.  Been low 50s a lot of mornings.  Heck last week I went back to wearing pants and a jacket instead of shorts.  In august.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Freakin bear walked across my panel.  Looks like he walked up the right side across the top and ran down the left as best I can tell

Got a game cam pic of him on the porch lol.  Hes pretty young which is good.  I don’t think those panels are rated for full grown bears.  

Got starlink up there now too so should have some better cameras soon
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#4]
it's possible.   someone was telling me about micro cracks in the panels that i can't see but may have now.   who knows.   at the moment, they're still producing full power though so i'm not super worried
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
TRIGGER WARNING: if you’re a carpenter just don’t look

Seriously I’m by far the worst carpenter in the world

But I finally got around to building a cabinet for my tools with a 2x6 workbench top and shelves and t&g sides.  I’m trying to use the small cabin space efficiently.  So I made it where the sliding ladder stowes beside it.  I’m going to continue behind the ladder along the wall with an L shaped reloading bench that is sloped to match the ladder but sticks out into the room a bit more.

Taking some time with the reloading bench because I’m thinking about how to design in custom spots for the Dillon 1050, co-ax and various gadgets like AMP annealer and giraud case trimmer.  I’d like to design it with workflow in mind this time instead of just bolting everything to a bench like I did when I had massive room.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad I found this!
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 3:59:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#7]
Reloading bench complete!
And already a mess

Thinking I may take the recipe whiteboard down and put some small shelves up on the wall above the bench with a light strip underneath

also, haven't mounted the co-ax press yet
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By taliv:
Reloading bench complete!
And already a mess

https://i.ibb.co/FKKSkmm/IMG-3315.jpg

Thinking I may take the recipe whiteboard down and put some small shelves up on the wall above the bench with a light strip underneath

also, haven't mounted the co-ax press yet
View Quote

I have an old Franfert arsenal stand with my small RCBS press and my Lyman lead bullet swagger on interchangeable heads. I don’t think they make it anymore. But it’s nice to have a portable press. Before that I used a craftsman portable work clamp. I don’t have any pictures of it. That was before digital photos.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
well, storm got me pretty good.  we had a wind warning about gusts up to 85 mph "and higher in the mountains" for 36 solid hours.   I suspect we had >100mph winds up on top but I wasn't standing around holding the kestrel.   we've had a LOT of high winds up there past 3 months but this was crazy.

3 of 6 solar panels trashed.  outdoor sink knocked over and 10' away from where it's supposed to be.   gutter downspout ripped off.  diesel heater duct ripped off.  pile of lumber and a vibratory tumbler full of media that was on the deck distributed around the yard.  ham antenna down.   weboost mast sideways.   insulation ripped off water cistern.    

lot of weird stuff makes me think the wind was coming from all directions.  the sink landed on the other side of the chimney so it had to move in a J-shape.  one of the solar panels was jammed up against the opposite side of a tree from it's mount, and almost folded in half.

so, I'm going to be redoing a lot of stuff and trying to figure out how to fortify it against hurricane winds.

i'm also upgrading my battery by almost 600%.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:01:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mj1angier] [#11]
Yeah it was tough here in NC. About 10 miles from cabin a twister hit and 1 person died

Heading up Friday to see if we have any damage. Some of our trees are iffy at best near cabin 🫤
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#12]
New solar panel mount. With breakers. Will bury the pv wires in conduit when I get around to it.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#13]
looks sturdy!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#14]
So as I’ve mentioned I’m in the middle of a massive upgrade in electrical systems.  Tomorrow I should finish top balancing 80x eve 280k cells and will put them together with 10 bms to make a 72kw 12v battery, upgrading from my current 12kw battery.
As I’m also doubling the solar panels, I’m doubling the victron mppt chargers (from 2 to 4) and upgrading some wiring.  (I know everyone else would do 48v with inverter, I know).   I’m not increasing the load, I just want to go two weeks without sun instead of two days.  

While top balancing I check the batteries with my pas23 thermal monocular just to make sure nothings super wrong. I decided to peek into my electrical shed with it and post some pics I thought were interesting.  

Before anyone freaks out, the difference in “hot” and “not so hot” in these pics is prob only a few degrees.  Nothing is hot to the touch although much is warm. But ambient is 85 or so and it’s hot in the shed from bright sun.  

Anyways…I thought I’d share so people can see that cable size makes a difference.

First pic is 4 cells and a bms charging.  The cable to left of batteries is negative going to bms.  Then negative from bms to mppt can be seen returning to right at bottom of pic.  Cable from right rear of battery going right is positive.  
There are two 450w panels prob putting about 600-700w in.  These are completely separate from cabin system.  So 40a or so on a 280ah battery is about .15C.

Pic 31 is interesting because it’s the cabin system.  6x 490w panels are putting about 2300w in, and the mppt are turning that into about 150a at 14v to charge the cabin batteries.  You can see some fairly large wire is warm and the round item in upper right is the blue sea main switch.   Inverter is long hot box in back and one mppt is visible as hot box on right.  At the time the only AC load was charging a laptop and starlink router so the inverter is just idling at maybe 200w.  It’s definitely not “hot” despite what it looks like in pic.    Two smaller hot cables are negative going from mppt to main bus bar, while the larger hot cable below is positive going through main switch.  

Pic 32 shows the hot cable on bottom going back to positive bus carrying the 150a.  Above it you can see the smartshunt which aggregates all the negative wires, including two from mppts. It also shows the 4/0 cable to inverter (where the neg is much hotter than positive)

Anyways, when I install the new batteries, I’m going to be adding a second main switch because they’re only rated to 350a and the four mppt could theoretically put out 400a. I’m also doubling the size of those cables.  I’ve had the wire laying on the floor ready to go for 3 months.  Just waiting on top balancing.  

Unfortunately, now that it’s warming up, I have to fight hordes of wasps while doing the work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent work and plan, better to have it and not need it and all that.

One thing I don't know is how that will impact the life of the batteries. Any insight there?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#16]
Well when I’m done I’ll have a max of 400a of charging from solar.  And 5600ah of batteries.  So my max charge rate is .07C (rated for 1C continuous charge) which is almost like a trickle charge and less than 1/10th of max. It’ll be great for battery longevity.  

And most days my consumption is maybe 400ah but let’s say 500ah to be conservative. That means I’m not even discharging 10%. But the cells are rated for 8000 cycles (at 8000 they should still hold 80% of the rated capacity, not that they’re just completely unusable.)
So net I’m really not cycling them much.  They should last a long friggin time.  

In theory one full cycle per day at 8000 cycles is 22 years.  

On top of that I’m not going to charge them to 100% or allow them to discharge to 0%.  I’ll prob try to take 5-10% off either end.  Which again will be good for longevity
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow! Very impressed OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:18:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#18]
22 years is impressive. Hell, 15 years would be impressive. Batteries aren't cheap obviously but I'd imagine they'd pay for themselves years before they're needing replacement.

Keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#19]
of course that's my high level theoretical based on their specs.   i don't have experience measuring the cells over long periods of time.  who knows how long they will really last?

i imagine that over time the chemistry may change slightly affecting internal resistance and causing cells to go out of balance and reduce available capacity of the battery.  it wouldn't surprise me at all if say, 5 years from now or 10 years from now, i need to tear the whole thing apart and top balance all the cells again to regain 20-30% of total capacity.   but hopefully after "maintenance" like that, they're pretty close to new again
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#20]
With the new Pulse Charge showing promise over conventional Constant Current charging you might get longer than you calculated.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Cabin build thread (Page 4 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top