Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2020 10:12:19 PM EDT
There’s a bear around my area that I would guess is 450-550lbs. I’ve tried hunting him several times on my land. The result so far has been that he doesn’t come to my land anymore and hasn’t in about four years. There’s a 3-ish year old that wanders around my land and tore up my deer feeder, but not that big guy.
Can it be done? Can you get a bear from a tree stand in NC? It seems like the only successful bear hunters I’ve met use dogs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By bruh44:
There's a bear around my area that I would guess is 450-550lbs. I've tried hunting him several times on my land. The result so far has been that he doesn't come to my land anymore and hasn't in about four years. There's a 3-ish year old that wanders around my land and tore up my deer feeder, but not that big guy.
Can it be done? Can you get a bear from a tree stand in NC? It seems like the only successful bear hunters I've met use dogs.
View Quote
Plenty of bears are killed in GA without dogs. If you are hunting anything with hounds it's generally easier than hunting without hounds. If the bear isn't on your property anymore there's not much you can do about it except food plots (or bait if your state allows it) to try and draw him back.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I've tried unsuccesfully many times. We can bait now. The only bear I've seen while hunting was maybe 75lbs. That is legal but I'm not shooting Booboo. I think the larger, smarter, older bears pick up scent and avoid areas where hunters are.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Peanut butter is the answer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you do not need dogs to hunt.  

If you can bait, start now and establish a food spot for them.  Go to local donut shop and get day old glazed donuts.  Peanut butter, honey, grease, anything sweet.   Put up some "bird" feeders, bears love seeds.

I find that bears just like to tear stuff up.  Yesterday they took out 2 of my game cameras.  Just busted them up for no reason.   They knock down posts, bite and chew on anything you put up and generally tear it up.   My tree stands are set on old telephone poles, I have bear claw marks and fur on almost everyone of them.

I am in Suffolk Va, so just north of you.   I hear all the time of monster bears being taken around the dismal swamp in NC.  

Good luck,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top