Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2024 3:28:22 PM EDT
I went night hunting once several years ago, bought an ATN X-sight for that.  Wasn't real pleased with the battery life on it, but other than that it did ok.
Now, I'm going again in April and I can't figure out what I should do for a night optic.  Buddy is strongly recommending an AGM unit.  Only thing in my price range would be 256 units, which from what I've seen have terrible image quality.  That's just what you get with such a small sensor.  The new V2 does have longer battery life @ 11 hours, which looks really good.
So, I started looking at ATN again, they have the X-sight 5 out now.  Longer battery life, higher resolution, but when I dig into it more I'm finding that they are having real firmware issues and it's hit or miss on getting a good one.  RAV doesn't always work, sometimes you they don't even store zero.  ATN has actually offered customers an even exchange for an older unit!  It also has an integral battery and some pretty sad waterproofing.
So...what else is out there?  I've seen a little info on PARD, the units look pretty good even with the lower resolution.  Sightmark Wraith?  Are either of those good?
Thermal just seems out of my price range if I want a good image.  So, I guess I could use some suggestions for a decent quality night vision scope.  Replaceable battery, 8 hour or so battery life.  Integrated illuminator sounds like a good idea, not sure though.  Less than $1000 I guess.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
For $1000 your best bet is using red spotlights. You aren’t going to find any good quality NV or Thermal devices for that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont think my fellow hunters using thermal and nv will appreciate me using visible light.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 5:51:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By snathan1:
For $1000 your best bet is using red spotlights. You aren’t going to find any good quality NV or Thermal devices for that.
View Quote

Yeah, the Wraith 384 Mini Thermal is right at $1999 and the comparable Bering 384 Hogster Vibe is about $2500, depending on choice of mount. Neither of those begin to approach the image clarity of the pricier 640 thermals.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102610750?pid=705793

https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/thermal/thermal-scopes/bering-optics-hogster-vibe-2-0-8-0-x-35/

Personally, I wouldn’t go less than 384 right now on any thermal, whether as a scope or a scanner (monocular).

Sad, but you gotta pay to play in thermal-landia.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I realize that. That’s why I’m ruling out thermal.
Anyone have an opinion on the PARD NV scopes?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JimTh:
View Quote

Where are those made?  … If Chi-Com, well you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont think my fellow hunters using thermal and nv will appreciate me using visible light.
View Quote

I would suggest a rental.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bendigo78] [#7]
View Quote

We've got a couple one leaf commanders. The one leaf stuff seems almost exactly like the pard line.  The commaders are the size of a range finder that lock into an adapter you put on the back of your scope.  You have to move your scope forward to use them comfortably.  There are some newer versions that are designed to be much shorter due to the battery being vertical.   They work well as a scanner or scope but suck if you think you're going to scan, identify, then lock it to your scope to shoot.  Too much adjustment needed to get focused and takes alot of fiddling.  We use a thermal camera for scanning and just leave the nv on the scopes.

PSA has had the sightmark Wraith 4k 2-16 scopes on sale for $449 this week.

Pard 007s  (short version)

Pard 007V (Just like the one leaf commander)

Wraith Mini 4k
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
My buddy has a Wraith and it works fine for his needs.  I also have a Sightmark Photon XT.  It does fine too, but burns batteries quick.  Either should get you by just fine.  

Thermal is a big step up, but not required depending on the type of hunt you are doing.  Will you be hunting over a feeder/bait etc or out scanning fields?  If looking for pigs in a large open areas is on the ticket then thermal is WAY better!  But just sitting over bait waiting for pigs to show up...the lower cost NV scopes are fine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ll second this, rent a good thermal for the hunt then start saving for your own if it’s going to be a regular thing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Where are those made?  … If Chi-Com, well you get what you pay for.
View Quote
Yes, PARD is a Chinese company. There aren't many places that rent, but yes if only going to use it for a weekend out of a year as an example, renting may be a good choice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By snathan1:
View Quote

I completely disagree with your statement.

I've been killing hogs for about 10 years with an original ATN X-Sight.   Just within the last two years started using ATN and AGM Rattler thermal, which isn't much above the $1,000 threshold.   But even the digital night vision works much better than red spotlights.

OP, the AGM Rattler TS25-256 is now $1,150 on Amazon.  Yeah image quality isn't as good as a 640 thermal,  but you will detect hogs easily at 500-600 yards, may not be able to tell if they are hogs or cattle, but you will know something is there.   When you get within 150-200 yards or so you should be able to tell the difference between a hog and a cow.  You will find and slay way more pigs than using a red spotlight.  We shot 11 last week.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LWKJ65J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Rental.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top