Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 84
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#1]
So my suggestion is that you make the discount require a code, this way we can choose to enter it or not. Alternatively I would hope that the $.99 price period would be short (like a day).  I say this selfishly as I will be waiting it out to purchase at full price and I don't want to wait too long. I feel that I have already been entertained enough to cover your target pricing and will gladly pay that amount for the full story. I have no problem paying a fair price for your work...
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By greyguy:

So my suggestion is that you make the discount require a code, this way we can choose to enter it or not. Alternatively I would hope that the $.99 price period would be short (like a day).  I say this selfishly as I will be waiting it out to purchase at full price and I don't want to wait too long. I feel that I have already been entertained enough to cover your target pricing and will gladly pay that amount for the full story. I have no problem paying a fair price for your work...
View Quote
This!

I have paid ten bucks for paperbacks that were so excruciating to read, I threw them away before completing them.  

Put the code up for those that want to save, I'm willing to pay full price for work of this quality.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Currently:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']I'm willing to pay full price for work of this quality.  
View Quote

Yeah. Me too.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

Yeah. Me too.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
[span style='font-weight: bold;']I'm willing to pay full price for work of this quality.  

Yeah. Me too.  

Agreed!
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PIDDLER:

Agreed!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PIDDLER:

Yeah. Me too.  

Agreed!

I'd rather pay Amazon $.99 and send the author a check for $10 as a tip.....

WDS
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have NO issue paying full price for a good read.

And THIS is a good read!
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you going to publish hard copies as well as electronic?
I'd pay for a book, hell I'd pay extra for an autographed one. .. Or two.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm with everyone else who is reading this and still willing to pay full price. The only complaint I have so far (and I'm sure others will agree) is that you are too damn good at cliff hangers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#10]

Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:

Are you going to publish hard copies as well as electronic?

I'd pay for a book, hell I'd pay extra for an autographed one. .. Or two.
View Quote

This...

Some of us came up before the digital age.

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:58:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#11]

Ok, wow, lot of posts, don't want to miss a prompt response.

Sixgunner I see you on that Hollis, appreciate your world tour, and everybody's world tour.  All good citizens should spent some part of their lives in PWP's (Places Without Plumbing) diligently...ah, how does it go?  Oh yes...improving the lives of those, um, less fortunate.  I understand it can be particularly edifying to improve the lives of those less fortunate wife burners, goat fuckers, boy rapers, and moon worshippers.  Improve away, I say.

greyguy my guess is that fiddling some kind of code/promo/etc. through Amazon/B&N/etc. might take some study.  We are still a few months out.  The one thing
I know I can do is announce a date in advance, here, where Arfcom members can
get it (virtually) free if they want.  I have enjoyed this site for many years, I think it might be the first site I every actually paid to join, last year.  This year someone VERY KINDLY upgraded me while I was fiddling with various credit cards made out, variously, to Joe Blow, John Doe, Boe John, Bogangles, you get the idea.

Currently, Former11B, Piddler,  WDS, Mounger, I seriously f------g appreciate it.  I could hypothetically start "high" and reduce price over time, let people pick their value.  The "tip" idea is fascinating--I've seen several people on writer's forums who claim to make
a living on Paypal donations.  Still, my goal is a long series of fairly dense, complex books
in the thriller/pre-apocalypse/post-apocalypse genre.  For this to work I will presumably have to write well enough to attract Amazon/other/general readers.

Skg_M--TEXT DELETED .RE NO LONGER RELEVANT/IMPOSSIBLE Ammzzzznnn/other pricing tools.

2T2 and greyguy--If I do "Ok plus" I will probably do a hard copy.  I would certainly like to.  It will be a logistical/economic issue.  Basically, if it looks like I can, or am at least on the path to making a living, hard copies become not only reasonable but advisable.  Speaking personally, I would much rather be handing hard bound books over a brass-bound desk than digitizing anything.  On the other hand, digital brought us this forum, comm, etc.  Let's say, real books, I sure as hell hope so.

Ok, back to work, didn't get enough done last night.

Update date/time will show on first page of "Survival Fiction" "Soldier's Story" from now on.  Should get something up late tonight/early tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Excellent read!
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#13]
We're waiting...

And count me in on willing to pay full price, even better if I could buy an autographed copy, tho I'd prob buy the ebook first as I am slightly impatient...not that you'd notice. Lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Johnnyb01:
We're waiting...

And count me in on willing to pay full price, even better if I could buy an autographed copy, tho I'd prob buy the ebook first as I am slightly impatient...not that you'd notice. Lol
View Quote

DC I have been following this thread and while not a native son of Texas from my limited time spent there you have nailed a lot of the visual imagery, in addition you have managed to epitomize the stereotypical D.C. cunt and how far out of her depth she is outside of the beltway.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 2:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#15]
SANDBLASTER, JOHNNYBOY, GHOST, much thanks.  Regarding Sylvia C. Meyer, and those like her, this story is as
much as anything a plea to conscience.  Like, don't be this person.  ------------And don't let this happeN--

--TEXT REMOVED 010219 .RE EPUB TOS--
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#16]
You do not disappoint!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome! I'm hooked!
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome story.  Keep it coming.

Ron
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:
OK, enough.  

Publish the whole thing on Amazon for 6 or 8 bucks, I'm tired of reading dribs and drabs.

View Quote

I agree.  I've been lurking, but I'm totally in.  Where do I send my money?  - JP
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Great update.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#21]
LMB has no idea how close she came,chuckle chuckle. Brian on the other hand knows, is appreciative of the fact, and definitely intrigued by the fact that he was allowed to make it back to the gate.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#22]
You, to quote Milton Berle, 'Always leave the audience wanting MORE.'

Well done, sir.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Wow I just sat down and read everything that has been posted so far. Fantastic start.

This is the kind of book I hate to find before it is all available because I just want to sit down and read the whole thing.

I really enjoy your writing style. Keep it coming!
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AHSGA:
Great update.  Thank you.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#25]
DCB, I'm not sure what the long term plan is here,  but if I understood correctly you are wanting to have a "series" of stories which may provide for your livelihood, and quite likely will.  If this is the case and I emphasize "if", this would be a good time to shift to the scene at I-635/Plano Rd. in the other story.

A second protagonist (cousin maybe?) could come in handy in case you have to "kill one off".

Just my thoughts, thanks again for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Brian is seeing the light......  
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Out...fucking...standing!  The very first few sentences of the very first paragraph are a little awkward, but after that it gets insanely amazing!!  I am both sad and happy that I did not find this thread until now, because I didn't get to give any feedback till now, but I got to read all of it up to here at once, instead of having to wait for all those parts.

I really like your writing style, too, where you are teaching the reader by explaining what the character is doing.   Reminds me of another great book about the coming bad times.

And maybe this book will wake up another chunk of America to what has been going on.

Bravo, OP.  Don't ever feel alone; many of us are thinking of you and this story, non stop.  There are always lots of us with you every second of the day.

Please keep us posted about buying it!
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:53:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#28]

Ok, lots of comments, will catch up shortly.

mounger, thanks, good to see you!

joker99, thank you.

Ron45, thank you.

JP/STL, still at least two months from publishing.  I will reboot some of my earlier posts,

and start a count-down to publication date at least a month in advance.

AHGSA, thank you.

BLG, I look forward to your posts.  On Sylvia/Brian, this scene will be edited at some point, to be less threatening, and more about...capability?  Also I might have Mary Elizabeth fill in some tone on the Gehr family.  Describing/justifying the difference between not giving a shit, out of principle, and being an active threat, is one of my big

problems with this story.  The Gehrs have zero interest in being an active threat.  But

they sure as fuck want to be left alone.  Sound familiar?  Yeah, I thought so.

RevolverRO, much thanks.  Your avatar massively cracks me up.  Perfect.

Shawnson, much thanks.  Just getting started here, I hope.  Would be very easy to Colleen McCullough/Masters of Rome the Gehr family.  Hope I will be able to.

KOW, much thanks.

Piddler, another good overview.  Problem for me is complexity, what will audience tolerate in world of multiple characters/overlapping stories.  Also economics.  So far this is 41,000 words, about 160 pages.  Structurally I could easily make JUST THIS STORY 160,000 word/5-600 pages.  That is at least one thousand hours of additional work.  Think 100, ten hour days.  And I have noticed with absolute certainty on Amazon/BN/etc. that people are much more willing to pay 2.99-3.99 for a 'competent' genre story of 60,000 words/240 pages, think EMP, Zombie, Plague, Joe Blow walks fifty miles with his backpack and a Glock--than they are willing to pay 4.99-5.99 for a book that is 2-3 times as long, vastly more complex, and frankly, interesting.  If I put both stories in same book, writing in this style, I would have a 200-250,000 word book at the minimum.  Very hard to price relative to time spent writing, and probably damned hard to sell.
grwlf Brian is going to be one, but not the only, window into a developing conscience.  Mary Elizabeth will play a very large role in this process.  Soon.  And thereafter.  Fantasize about Brian and Mary Elizabeth teaming up some day in their own series and kicking the shit out of corrupt...corrupt...well, just, corruption.

KeepShooting, much appreciate comments, lots of insight.  Hoping to be entertaining, but also have a few tips/hints on how people/tribes/institutions

evolve under stress.  You bring up several points I hope to address in the future, either directly to you, or you will see resolution of your questions/observations in the text.  A lot of you are picking up that Brian Distrop is our view into 'every man'--the basically decent guy who is gradually cluing into the idea that the world is fucked, and all the major institutions in his life have been lying to him, pretty much since he was born.  Technical note: I have no idea how many individuals are looking at this.  Clicks/views might be 100 people picking their refresh key like a crack-whore fingernailing her carpet, or a thousand people checking once every three/four days.

Ok, back to work, hope to get another story scene up tonight/tomorrow morning.

DCB

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I am absolutely tickled that I made it into your sigline.  I am not worthy.  Thanks so much for your work man.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Holy cow! This is an awesome story! I can't stop reading!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Is this available in print?  So my dad can read it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Camu:
Is this available in print?  So my dad can read it.
View Quote

The author is still in the process of writing it, he's posting it here as he writes it. I know his goal is to publish in ebook format first, but many here have asked for a print version also, hopefully this works out as I wouldn't mind an autographed copy myself
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Outstanding read.  I'm checking for updates at least 5 times a day. I feel like an addict looking for a fix.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#34]
As your aware myself and others have made structural comments
and have proposed prospective marketing ideals and/or incentives
for your consideration.

So with these comments made I would like to propose a proposal!
It's completely one-sided and is prospectively a giant wind-fall for
your 1% Reader's i.e. Fanboy's........ Meaning "Me"

I would ask that you think about marketing 25 to 100 Soft Copies
Un-Corrected Proof' First Editions Signed & Inscribed by
you the Author.  The edition should state for the sole purpose
in assisting the author meet the finical means to compile the
necessary prerequisites to finish the book in Ernest.

I'm unaware if NDA's and NOC's will be sufficient to quell your
publishers', but it should be able to assist you in getting funds
freed to help you finish and get you needed supplies that you
maybe lacking.

Thanks in advance!  
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Very sorry delay in updates.  A bit hectic here.  

Very likely will get something up next 24/48.

DesignatedMarksman/sig line, I owe you.  You gave a serious boost to a deeply obscure

skandic poem/mission statement/war story.  Much obliged, sir.

LukeDuke, thank you.  Hopefully this process is just starting.

Camu, there is much more interest in print versions that I anticipated.  I would very much like for your dad to read it.  Personally, as a blood sack animal that likes good tools in my hands, I fffing love books, real books, leather and gilt and offset pages where you can tell the printer was getting tired, or there was too much play in the screw on his press, and sometimes you can see margins compressed, because guess what, paper was expensive.  If things go ok to well, I hope to do print versions of everything.  At some point here I will...Ok, thinking now.  Deeply uncool not to keep up with everybody's posts.  I will try and post an update, or a whiny simpering story to explain why there is no update, every day.  Once a week until publication I will review past posts and distill a "this is what is happening now," so that people don't have to squint through all ten pages.  And print copies....

Yeah, I think it will probably happen.

JohnnyB01, much thanks.  Please step in anytime if I miss a question, or you have something to add.  And another vote for print.  I hear you.

KOW, much thanks.  I promise you that this and many thousands of pages in this domain will be written if I can scratch out at least a lower-middle class living at it, or I die.  And I am extremely durable.  Also, updates date and time will show on the first page/first post title, no need to refresh all day.  I wish like hell I knew who else/how many were looking at this thing.  Very real concern that I'm picking up a self-selected crew of 1 percenters, the readers who might make it through War and Peace (actually a mind-blowing book, should have been titled "Peace and War" because for hundreds of pages you live with upper class Russians going about their business, an extended empathy beat...and then their entire world gets burned down.  But Peace and War just don't sound so good, does it?)

11C_ABN--another sterling post--I'm ok here, it is the time competing with compensated time, that will eventually be the problem here.  Also existing biz/other relationships.  But your recommendation will be taken as a firm ffing vote to get my ass in gear, as well as

further interest in hard copies.  Or a Paypal button on a website.  Shit, just not a lot of free time.  (Writer's note: mistakes, missed opportunities, actually hurt the ffing eyes, ears, mind.  The idea of launching them out into the world uncorrected feels like a train horn howling at the base of the skull.  On the other hand, for forensic readers, it would be probably be fascinating to see a text grow.  Something to think about.)

Ok, back to work.

DCB
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:08:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#36]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Great way to start my morning thank you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Another great update. Thanks

Ron
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#39]
"Shut up, Sylvia."  :D

That sun dial is a neat memorial, something that more families could do. But we neglect and forget our history.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#40]
You know, DCBourone, it's getting tough to come up with adequate adjectives to describe just how good this story is and how much I'm enjoying it!

I'll put it this way: no matter what I'm doing at the time, as soon as I see there's a new installment, I stop what I'm doing and read it - without fail!

Then, I take a few minutes to digest what I read.

I've even found myself going back and rereading portions - or, the whole new chapter! LOL

You are indeed a story-teller, my friend. Please! Keep up the good work - and be sure to let us know the minute it's available for purchase!

Thanks again for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#41]
You know, DCBourone, it's getting tough to come up with adequate adjectives to describe just how good this story is and how much I'm enjoying it!

I'll put it this way: no matter what I'm doing at the time, as soon as I see there's a new installment, I stop what I'm doing and read it - without fail!

I've even found myself going back and rereading portions - or, the whole new chapter! LOL

You are indeed a story-teller, my friend. Please! Keep up the good work - and be sure to let us know the minute it's available for purchase!

View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll 2nd all of the above, and up the ante. Several times now Brian has made mention of a constellation, and going back to an earlier reply of mine ,regarding history, am I missing something here ? Star struck maybe ? WAIT !! Here I go again, I'll shut up !
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#43]
My familiarity with some type of series and/or long generational stories would comment that your going
to be adding another branch of the family in a different continent soon?  This may throw some reader's
somewhat but just ad's another layer of flavor's and/or side dish to the meal.

It would be conceivable to say that while many of the mannerism's of the primary
charters "American decent' "Following the Teddy Roosevelt / John Wayne Mannerism"
it would be incredibly awesome see the German Tectonic / English Dry Humanism
written in to the second branch of charters.

Please note that I'm thinking it's going to be more Serbian / Russian well be seeing but please help by
correctly portraying these mannerisms' that make them the protagonist / Hero complex in these nations?
We rarely have it introduced to us in a manner that also helps us understand and educates us to better
understand our hero's Leander.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 11C_ABN:
My familiarity with some type of series and/or long generational stories would comment that your going
to be adding another branch of the family in a different continent soon?  This may throw some reader's

It would be conceivable to say that while many of the mannerism's of the primary
charters "American decent' "Following the Teddy Roosevelt / John Wayne Mannerism"

Please note that I'm thinking it's going to be more Serbian / Russian well be seeing but please help by
correctly portraying these mannerisms' that make them the protagonist / Hero complex in these nations?
We rarely have it introduced to us in a manner that also helps us understand and educates us to better
View Quote

Kinda' like the Sacketts and the Talons, ya' mean . . . Pardner?  
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Another +1.... I've come to understand that all I can do is shut up and read because I'm loving the story so damn much that I'm burning up my ways to say how much it fucking kicks ass!

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#46]
If you continue to write this as you have, I would just lobe it to become a movie with all of the detail and as you have written it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for another awesome chapter sir!!

I am thoroughly addicted and keep checking in like a fiend lol.

Very much apreciate your sharing your talented writing with us!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Just another guy checking in.  Great story so far!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KOW] [#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11C_ABN:

I agree. I believe that I have read all of L'Amour's books and I do see a resemblance in the historical writing style. I also find this story as compelling as any story thst L'Amour wrote.

So please don't leave us hanging.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:32:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#50]
Shawson, thanks.  Will try to keep the pace up.

Ron4569, same same.

Sixgunner455, I have acres of history I would love to pack into this.  Probably pushing the boundaries pretty far as it is.  Somewhere between 25-50 percent of the Hessian mercenaries payed by the British took a good look around.  And signed up with us.  This will be featured in some dialogue pretty soon.

Former11B, thanks cubed.  Doesn't matter what I think.  If it doesn't make sense, intrigue, inspire, than I've blown it.  Look forward to your posts.

Piddler, thanks dude.  Hopefully, we're just getting started.

BLG, no you haven't missed anything, a particular constellation is a very specific message from the Gehrs, I'm trying to figure out how/when to work it in.  Think Deep History.  Nuff said.

11C_ABN your posts seriously amaze.  You tend to anticipate by about 20-40 pages a 'reveal' I have planned.  Next installment we have a discussion about the family Gehr, and how they became what they are.  Relates very specifically to Germany, Colonial America, who got here, did what, and why.  Be careful in your speculations.  You could blow up some really big surprises for the rest of us.  On the other hand...good fucking job.

FORMER11BRAVO--also good fucking job.  Louis L'Amour is/was awesome, and like many 'serial' writers, much deeper than contemporary New York literati would give him credit for.  Zane Grey, likewise.  You are definitely seeing some influence.  And the concept of generational feuds?  Oh yeah.  Good eye.

2T2_Crash--you've been here since the beginning.  I notice these things.  Thank you.  Stay ground bound now, if you can.  It is time for everybody to go home.  You follow?

grywlf52--movie, we wish.  Unlikely, and I don't want their money, unless it will buy me my own aircraft carrier, a Shiloh Sharps 50-90, and Freedom.  I fear the subject matter would be unpopular.

Mounger, you also have been here since the beginning.  I see these things.

ragedracer1977, good to see you.  I will be depending up you and those like you at some point.  Not yet.  But soon.

Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top