Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2023 8:43:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: garyd]
A group of men from my family, brother, cousins, uncle and a few others met in Texas to take out some hogs.  I built a purpose built 300blk AR for the hunt.  14.5 inch barrel with permentaly attached muzzle brake/suppressor mount. The sight is an AGM Rattler TS19-256. I used barnes 110 black tip instead of my usual sub rounds.  Distance was 100yds.

Attachment Attached File

This is me and my much younger cousin after we tagged a few.  He got a much bigger one a few hours later.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Friend of mine is trying to go hog hunting in Texas.  Turns out these are domestic pigs releases specifically for hunters after paying the fee.  Typical is $300 to shoot one plus feed and processing costs.  They'll tell you to go to a certein point in the road and then they'll release one in front of you.  Not what I'd actually call hunting.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:
Friend of mine is trying to go hog hunting in Texas.  Turns out these are domestic pigs releases specifically for hunters after paying the fee.  Typical is $300 to shoot one plus feed and processing costs.  They'll tell you to go to a certein point in the road and then they'll release one in front of you.  Not what I'd actually call hunting.
View Quote

This was a friend of a cousin that has a large ranch with 3 feeders and box blinds.  We shot about 8 or 9 in total.  I only shot the one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

There are plenty of hog hunts in Texas that are not high fence type hunts.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
He needs to find another outfit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like several people had a good time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By weekender7:
Sounds like several people had a good time.
View Quote

We did, had a great time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:
Who's cows were you shooting right into?

This is why folks hate hog hunters.
View Quote

Your concern is noted.  I will let the owner know that he should have not been OK with the video where I did not shoot his cow.  I will also pass along to the owner that he should hate people eradicating the hogs on his place because a random internet guy says so.

Thanks much.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#10]

You posted a video to the internet, so that one landowner, who evidently hasn't YET had a cow shot by someone with poor gun safety, isn't the only person forming an opinion.

Think of it this way.  Would you have taken that shot if your grandkids were standing where the cows were?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By garyd:

Your concern is noted.  I will let the owner know that he should have not been OK with the video where I did not shoot his cow.  I will also pass along to the owner that he should hate people eradicating the hogs on his place because a random internet guy says so.

Thanks much.

You posted a video to the internet, so that one landowner, who evidently hasn't YET had a cow shot by someone with poor gun safety, isn't the only person forming an opinion.

Think of it this way.  Would you have taken that shot if your grandkids were standing where the cows were?

Cows and grandkids, got it.  
Your comparison is absolutely outstanding and shows you are without a doubt the superior hunter and man.  Thank you for humbling me so.  I wonder if maybe we should just stop shooting anything in the wild, because there is a chance, albeit it small, that a round can ricochet and travel a lot farther than we think and impact in an unsafe area.

Of course now I do wonder, are you sure enough of your shooting that if your grandkids were standing alone in a field unsupervised at midnight and a group of coyotes were sneaking up on them, would you take the shot?  Or let your grandkids get mauled so that you can still claim you are a more ethical hunter because it would have been an unsafe direction to shoot.  

I can what if it this thing all day.

In the end.  I took a shot I felt 100% sure was a good shot, and I was correct.  You do not agree, I can respect that even given my sarcasm, and if you were ever to grace me with permission to hunt on your property and your rule was do not fire if cows are in the picture, then I would abided by that rule.  

The owners rule was, don't hit the cows, and if you do, we will have some awesome BBQ but it will cost you.

Again, thank you for your concern.

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By garyd:

Thanks much.
View Quote

You shouldn't be shooting anywhere near his cows!  You can't be this stupid?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Where is the video with the cows?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Sorry,  is this GD? How are you helping the discussion? Or did you just come to troll the membership?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Not GD.  Tech forum rules apply
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top