Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2024 6:50:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: caduckgunner]
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001

Don't have a lot of lumber or time. Just looking for a easy way to keep 4-6 chickens. Not expecting great quality, but at least serviceable.  They are $300 already assembled at my local TSC.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Trash….will last 1 maybe 2 seasons if not kept under cover.

After that I just built my own out of 2 inch tubing and sheet metal….will last 20+ years
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to have two layers of wire with at least 3-4 inches of spacing between the layers or you will wake up to headless chickens. So no, as-built I would not use that for chickens.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By heat762:
Trash….will last 1 maybe 2 seasons if not kept under cover.

After that I just built my own out of 2 inch tubing and sheet metal….will last 20+ years
View Quote

After looking at them onsite at my local tractor supply I'd have to agree. If you can't to metal you would be better going to Lowes or Home Depot and buying 3/4 inch pressure treated plywood give them the size and they will cut it for you. Use landscape timbers and pressure treated 2/4 for the frame with hardware cloth for the cage.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what you guys are talking about.  

I’ve had one for two years and it’s been just fine.  No real wear or damage. No reason it won’t last many more years.

It was a bit small for our 6 chickens so what we did was build a wood extension maybe 4’x6’x6’ tall that has some poles to roost on.   with chicken wire and took the end wall off the TSC coop.  

The chickens lay all their eggs in the TSC coop but they sleep outside on the roost even in 0* weather. (So we put a heat lamp out there for them)
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep one as a grow house for new birds.  It is NOT predator proof.  I keep the babies in the garage in an old water tub and move them out during the day after they start to feather up.  Works fine to keep the birds in, but not great at keeping other critters out.  My main coop (free ranged during the day) is a DIY job made mostly from 1x4 reclaimed from pallets.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
You need to have two layers of wire with at least 3-4 inches of spacing between the layers or you will wake up to headless chickens. So no, as-built I would not use that for chickens.
View Quote

Like above, I would drive T posts in each corner say 8 inches away and another in the middle so raccoons cant reach in and pull their heads off

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#7]
No way in hell would I dump $300 on a coop.  It also does not do a damn thing for predators.  Esp snakes.

There is a reason the wife calls our coop Fort McChicken.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001

Don't have a lot of lumber or time. Just looking for a easy way to keep 4-6 chickens. Not expecting great quality, but at least serviceable.  They are $300 already assembled at my local TSC.
View Quote

I bought one of them online last week ($299) and got my money back when I went to pick it up.   It simply sat too low to the ground for my liking.    I think it would be OK - if - and I considered doing this - It was mounted on a large pallet or a few 4x4s to build up the base and raise the chicken roost house up to eye level.  

They have good reviews online and I believe they'd work for at least a couple seasons.  

For now, I bought one of the poultry cages for around $450 and trying to homebuild a roost box using pallets and some wood I have sitting around.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:21:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#11]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:57:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#12]
Actually on our big coop, I'm thinking about using a linear actuator to open it remotely, say 8 or 9 am so they can free roam during day light, and I can close them up in evening.

Big coop has a walk-in door and a chicken shoot into to fenced in area with a quilitine type door.

A 12v battery, small solar panel and Bluetooth remote solenoid should work, will check out some power window actuator also.

For those? Does door swing or slide? Either way easiest would be to have door held shut with a spring, and maybe a simple UV safe rope or stranded electrical wir to pull it open and then secure it. Figuring out spring rate and longevity made be an experiment.  A longer spring with lots of coils so when it's closed there is still tension but not slack, then when open it still has travel so spring isn't in constant stress
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#13]
how much land do you have op?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#15]
They make coop door controlers
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't have one but this one looks to be a favorite at TSC. Timer and light sensor

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/manna-pro-automatic-chicken-door-1031118
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd be ok with using one for a temporary solution while you build a proper coop.  It may even be beneficial to do that for a season before you build your own, so you can see what features you like and what you don't, and how you'd do it differently when you do.  Make it as predator proof as you can and roll the dice.

And if in the long run you decide you don't like raising chickens after all, you're only out a few hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Harmonic_Distortion:
how much land do you have op?
View Quote
Little less than half an acre, but not a ton for chickens to roam. My dogs will most likely kill them. The coop would be in a fenced off area. I am looking for something on craigslist/offerup/etc now as I passed on this one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:15:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#21]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:55:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#22]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#23]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#24]
If you're not handy, no time, tools etc. The following is probably what I would start with. Easier to move also. Ain't cheap with the run.

https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/portable-chicken-coop-eglu-go-up/

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:29:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankW134] [#25]
I had one similar that I had to stain/seal, put it on blocks otherwise it'll rot fast...if you buy two you can connect them end to end on the cage side.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#26]
Originally Posted By KillerDyller:
If you're not handy, no time, tools etc. The following is probably what I would start with. Easier to move also. Ain't cheap with the run.

https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/portable-chicken-coop-eglu-go-up/

https://www.omlet.us/images/cache/1560/878/90/X017_Eglu_Go_UP_2m_Run_Green-2d292.webp
View Quote

talk about being the Jones's in your subdivision...insane people...okay people like me wouldn't buy that....I'm sure they made a killing on rich suburb-----...

Sorry forgot this was outdoors, that doesn't fit most people's needs on the site I don't think,

Sorry kittie...you can smack me if out of line....but that's made for people who don't have a clue other than good Google hits and advertising,  I just want save folks that money., and have healthy chickens

Also killerdyller no disrespect towards you...just my .02
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
I had one similar that I had to stain/seal, put it on blocks otherwise it'll rot fast...if you buy two you can connect them end to end on the cage side.

https://i.imgur.com/qFhjZxi.jpeg
View Quote

Good upgrades
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bansil:

talk about being the Jones's in your subdivision...insane people...okay people like me wouldn't buy that....I'm sure they made a killing on rich suburb-----...

Sorry forgot this was outdoors, that doesn't fit most people's needs on the site I don't think,

Sorry kittie...you can smack me if out of line....but that's made for people who don't have a clue other than good Google hits and advertising,  I just want save folks that money., and have healthy chickens

View Quote

Not offended, don’t own one. Built mine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I have one that’s probably 3 years old. I did have to replace the hinges on the door as they rusted.it’s sitting on concrete pavers and so far no issues with predators. We have plenty of raccoons around and though they’ve dug around the perimeter a bit the birds are fine. The grid size seems far too small for a raccoon to reach through to grab a bird. I did add an additional perch in the open area
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#31]
This is the 1st one I built because I wasn't done with the bigger one. It was to get them out of the basement boxes and into moar space, biggest mistake?

The size of chicken brains, they would run around on the 4x4s which kept them close at arms reach...learned alot only lost 2 birds

Attachment Attached File

Back opened
Attachment Attached File

Full walk in door to service the birds
Attachment Attached File

Moving it last weekend to repair incase needed, have to work on old coop.
Attachment Attached File

It is 10+ years old

OP!

Make sure to postpictures of the chick's at new HOME!

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Attachment Attached File

2 weeks ago....
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Last night....going to need a bigger box..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

So...$700 with a 6' run.  That's more expensive than a similar size at TSC HOWEVER it appears to be built way better, so maybe a little longer-term investment.  

View Quote

That was my thought as well. The TSC one is already $300, from what I've seen of them they are absolutely not sturdy and probably not long lasting, and they don't have much of a run.

My single SIL thought she wanted chickens about a year ago, the Omlet was what she was going to settle on. Moveable, washable, basically maintenance free.

Her schedule was not conducive to having birds so she ended up backing out of the whole deal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been thinking about building one of those Quonset huts type of coop that a lot of people are building on youtube using cattle panel, it also looks like you can make them to be moveable like a chicken tractor.  I'm thinking its going to cost a couple hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I have that one as a backup coop.  I have raised several young birds in it and it has done OK.  Never lost one to predators in it.  I don't see how they could reach through the hardware cloth.  That said, after three years the roof over the little run area is starting to leak.  If I bought another I would put a metal roof on right off the bat.  While it may technically "hold" six full-grown birds, they would be a bit cramped.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got back from TSC and saw the $399 coop, it's like 3ft tall and assembled looks like it would fit in a Ford ranger bed....did I see a "miniature model" like Colman and they did with tents so you could see it setup in the store?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:42:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: haveTwo] [#39]

So...$700 with a 6' run.  That's more expensive than a similar size at TSC HOWEVER it appears to be built way better, so maybe a little longer-term investment.  

Honestly what I've found is that with anything you build yourself (unless you have a shop full of old stuff sitting waiting for a purpose) will cost close to that if you have to go out and buy all the parts.  Anything you BUY that is less expensive, you're gonna put that price again into hardening it, and for EITHER of these options, you're going to have a lot of time in it.  AND you've gotta have some skills for any of that.  I see folks who don't know how to put their car in neutral so it can be pushed off a road, so I'm constantly surprised at the  general level of incompetence at basic tasks which exists in the general suburban and city populations.  

So I can see the appeal for somebody who wants a plug & play setup.  I don't like the design of the henhouse, but the ability to blast it with the jet setting of a hose is nice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bansil:

Honestly what I've found is that with anything you build yourself (unless you have a shop full of old stuff sitting waiting for a purpose) will cost close to that if you have to go out and buy all the parts.  Anything you BUY that is less expensive, you're gonna put that price again into hardening it, and for EITHER of these options, you're going to have a lot of time in it.  AND you've gotta have some skills for any of that.  I see folks who don't know how to put their car in neutral so it can be pushed off a road, so I'm constantly surprised at the  general level of incompetence at basic tasks which exists in the general suburban and city populations.  

So I can see the appeal for somebody who wants a plug & play setup.  I don't like the design of the henhouse, but the ability to blast it with the jet setting of a hose is nice.

I have some expensive quail cages that I could have built cheaper, but I'm still happy with.  Not entirely sure I could have built them cheaper, and they are plastic that clipped together in an afternoon.

If you want to make a business, or don't have the money, you need to watch costs more.  But for me, I had more money than time, relative to what I spent with hatching times.

ETA: I'll probably build my own chicken coop eventually, as I doubt I'll free range them, and will likely build to match the area I have.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Seeing the price of these coops might make you decide to build your own. Who would have thought a coop could cost $30,000
https://carolinacoops.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top