BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
I’m waiting on my first can, but it’s a .22.   Tired of wrecking arrows on grouse.
View Quote

I learned that after my first grouse cost me a $15 arrow. Suppressed 22 ftmfw!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:31:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RePp:

Imagine reading what you quoted and thinking it was true.
View Quote

No kidding. It seems there's always those who hunted elk electronically, and those who actually hunted them. I'll be honest, I don't know about those really big Roosevelt elk like they get on the west coast, apparently those can get like 1200 pounds. The elk I see in South Dakota and Wyoming, they are not giants. I'm guessing a cow is ballpark 400-500 pounds, and a bull maybe  up to 700 pounds? I don't know that I've ever met anyone who weighed one, unless you carried a livestock scale and a come along with you, how could you? They are nowhere near as big as a moose.

I'm willing to bet if you surveyed Wyoming residents, the top calibers for elk you would get are 30-06, 308, and 270. Tons shoot 300 win mag, I'm sure plenty shoot 6.5 creedmoor too. I've never heard any complaints from the guys using a little 243 winchester either. I probably wouldn't recommend a 223, it might not even be legal in Wyoming. My own choice is a 308. I shot a cow with my 22" barrel with a 180gr Hornady 180gr SP, about 2550 fps MV. Shot was at 180 yards, hit center lungs, double lunged here. She went down on the spot and kicked a little bit, but that was it. The bullet did like it always does, punched a 3/4" or 1" hole all the way through. I don't know how you could ask for better. I don't know that I've met an elk hunter shooting a 338 anything, but you certainly could if you wanted.

I think there is this misconception that the ONLY way to hunt "west" is to be glassing miles and stalking and taking a relatively long shot. You could do that, it is fun. You don't have to do that if you don't want to. That's probably the most effective if you are after a certain size trophy. I don't spend hours and hours on a ridge watching. I do a lot of walking and watching. Half the time I don't even stalk, I just happen across some animals. I don't see why long shots have to be a requirement, it's not that hard to get inside 300 yards. Having that extra range never hurts, but if you only feel comfortable taking up to a 250 yard shot, then by all means, you won't be that limited. Especially in the mountains it's kind of a trip for flatlanders like me. What appears to be a LONG ways to the next ridge is often only like 350 yards. You have to get pretty high to see 1 mile in the mountains and there's plenty of topography to sneak closer.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top