Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2024 2:23:33 PM EDT
What do you all use and like?

I have been very pleased with my Klein tools, but, unfortunately, they don't make fencing pliers.  Channellock is the only US-made product I see, but they seem small and underwhelming.  What else should I consider?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
A pair of Dewalt Lineman's pliers. Not a fan of fencing pliers, and the lineman's pliers are more versatile.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had the Chanellocks for a couple years and they've been fine.  Over that time we've installed about 1,000 feet of woven wire and demolished about 1.5 miles of electric.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Lineman pliers and Knipex CoBolt Robust mini bolt cutters. These bolt cutters are great, a definite wrist saver.

8" Bolt cutters

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lew:
A pair of Dewalt Lineman's pliers. Not a fan of fencing pliers, and the lineman's pliers are more versatile.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The red handled are Crescents, made in Taiwan, the other pair I found on my property no markings and a lot of sandpaper to bring them back to usable shape, maybe made in USA.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#7]
The crescent fence tool...get the made in USA ones (still available on ebay)...they are the best designed fence pliers ever made.

ETA, people that say they don't like fence pliers probably haven't used the crescent pliers with the wire wrapping groove in the top...it makes all the difference and I'm surprised all the Chinese knockoff artists haven't copied it...

ETA, apparently they also make a version without the groove. You want the version with the groove down the top. The ones on the left in the photo the next post up do not have the groove.

ETA2, part number 1934 and variations means no groove. 936, 1936, 193610, and variations means groove...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By abnk:
What do you all use and like?

I have been very pleased with my Klein tools, but, unfortunately, they don't make fencing pliers.  Channellock is the only US-made product I see, but they seem small and underwhelming.  What else should I consider?
View Quote

I too bought the the Channellock brand because I saw the "Made in the USA!" labeling, and I would agree with your underwhelming review.  At some point I may have abused them, I don't recall, but the cuttering "blades" have nicks in them and now they won't cut through barbed wire on the first cut every time.  Not a deal killer, but annoying.  They're not junk, but I was hoping paying a little extra for US made would have avoided that issue.  That said, my neighbor builds a shitload of fence and loves his Channellock pliers, so maybe I just abused mine?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sublimeshooter:
Lineman pliers and Knipex CoBolt Robust mini bolt cutters. These bolt cutters are great, a definite wrist saver.

8" Bolt cutters

View Quote

With all the Knipex hype I've read on ARF, I bought a small set of Knipex linesman pliers at a pawnshop.  They're nice, but they're just too small for barbed wire cutting.  I'm tempted to but one of their big linesman pliers to try.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:05:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckshot4U] [#10]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
The crescent fence tool...get the made in USA ones (still available on ebay)...they are the best designed fence pliers ever made.

ETA, people that say they don't like fence pliers probably haven't used the crescent pliers with the wire wrapping groove in the top...it makes all the difference and I'm surprised all the Chinese knockoff artists haven't copied it...

ETA, apparently they also make a version without the groove. You want the version with the groove down the top. The ones on the left in the photo the next post up do not have the groove.

ETA2, part number 1934 and variations means no groove. 936, 1936, 193610, and variations means groove...
View Quote

Can you do some more explaining on the "wire wrapping grove"?  I don't think I'm following you.

I've got my Grandpa's old Crescent fencing pliers.  They are the cat's ass for pulling steeples out of old posts.  They do a decent enough job driving steeples into wood posts that I normally won't take the time to go get a hammer.  They are great for stretching wire.  The killer for me is that for me they are to big/long to be very useful for tying off barbed wire or clipping fence.  Admittedly, I'm sure there are techniques where my issues could be overcome.  In any case, an 8ish" long linesman pliars is the sweet spot for me when it comes to 1 tool that can fit in the pliars pocket of my pants and do just about everything needed for fencing duty (assuming that I'm not using wood posts that require steeples - which I am not).
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Not to spam the crap out of the thread, but one last review: Back in HS, I spent 1 summer working for a fencing contractor full time.  At that time I bought nothing but US made Craftsman tools, so I bought 2 pair of their linesman pliers - a 6ish" and an 8ish".  Those things were total POS's that you couldn't cut warm butter with.  I was too hard headed to buy something else, so I stuck it out all summer, but cutting barbed wire meant attempting to make a cut, then using the jaws to snap off the wire.  0/10 stars, would not recommend to a friend.  And that was back quite a few years before they sold out to the ChiComs and completely bastardized their name.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
The red handled are Crescents, made in Taiwan, the other pair I found on my property no markings and a lot of sandpaper to bring them back to usable shape, maybe made in USA.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0386-3196869.jpg
View Quote

Indispensable on the farm. I have a couple of pairs I’ve had for years. Probably Crescent. Keep them in the farm truck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I like these for wrapping wire.

Pictured Wire wrapper
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Klein lineman’s pliers and a good flat screwdriver. I have have an ancient set of USA made Redbarb pliers that I used to use. I’m not sure where my wife has hidden them. But with steel tpost they are more cumbersome than useful. A good pair of flat jaw vice grip pliers is actually more useful with a flat screwdriver for twisting ties. A good set of cable crimpers is also nice for tight splicing broken wires. Especially when you don’t have extra wire on you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:

Can you do some more explaining on the "wire wrapping grove"?  I don't think I'm following you.

I've got my Grandpa's old Crescent fencing pliers.  They are the cat's ass for pulling steeples out of old posts.  They do a decent enough job driving steeples into wood posts that I normally won't take the time to go get a hammer.  They are great for stretching wire.  The killer for me is that for me they are to big/long to be very useful for tying off barbed wire or clipping fence.  Admittedly, I'm sure there are techniques where my issues could be overcome.  In any case, an 8ish" long linesman pliars is the sweet spot for me when it comes to 1 tool the can fit in the pliars pocket of my pants and do just about everything needed for fencing duty (assuming that I'm not using wood posts that require steeples - which I am not).
View Quote

Do they really call them steeples where you are from? Or did you mean staples? Really am just curious not being mean.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:32:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: abnk] [#16]
Originally Posted By trlrdrdave:

Do they really call them steeples where you are from? Or did you mean staples? Really am just curious not being mean.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've got my Grandpa's old Crescent fencing pliers.  They are the cat's ass for pulling steeples out of old posts.  They do a decent enough job driving steeples into wood posts that I normally won't take the time to go get a hammer.  They are great for stretching wire.  The killer for me is that for me they are to big/long to be very useful for tying off barbed wire or clipping fence.  Admittedly, I'm sure there are techniques where my issues could be overcome.  In any case, an 8ish" long linesman pliars is the sweet spot for me when it comes to 1 tool the can fit in the pliars pocket of my pants and do just about everything needed for fencing duty (assuming that I'm not using wood posts that require steeples - which I am not).

I was not going to say anything because I didn't want a lighthearted comment to be mistaken for ingratitude, but now that you opened the can: Or (c) do your fences actually have steeples?

Joke aside, thanks to all for the posts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I've always heard them called steeples here. Steeples are for fences, staples are for play.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I used the Crescent pliers with the groove, not the knockoff. The problem isn't the wrench itself, it's the concept: I can not only do more around the property with the lineman's pliers- carrying around just one tool- I can do the intended fencing-related operations easier and faster with the lineman's pliers. I can even do those operations faster than my buddy who's been using fencing pliers most of his life. I am not alone in my thinking around here, either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#19]

I used the Crescent pliers with the groove, not the knockoff. The problem isn't the wrench itself, it's the concept: I can not only do more around the property with the lineman's pliers- carrying around just one tool- I can do the intended fencing-related operations easier and faster with the lineman's pliers. I can even do those operations faster than my buddy who's been using fencing pliers most of his life. I am not alone in my thinking around here, either.
View All Quotes

This, I use fencing pliers occasionally, but generally I'm better off with vampliers and bolt cutters.  One of the things I do the most with actual fencing pliers is untwist slick wire to get tie wire for other things.  But then I didn't have that much land and use a lot is cattle panels on metal pipe fencing.

Biggest downside to actual fencing pliers is the inability to easily stuff in a random pocket
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

You'll have to excuse my native Ozarkian dialect!  They are refered to as "stee-pulls" in my neck of the woods.  Luckily, everyone in my area has used steel oilfield pipe for set posts for past 25 years, so the only time we use "steeples" is when we're out servicing a crappy old fence that runs through the woods and is still stretched to trees.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:27:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckshot4U] [#21]
I was putting away tools and misc. equipment, so I went through my various tool buckets and tool chest, just to see what all I had.  Most of the pliers without any coating on the handles are hand me downs from Gramps.  
Attachment Attached File

I took a closeup of the damaged Channellocks I refered to earlier, as well as the Crescents.  They were rusted up enough that I couldn't quite make out the model #.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Not to derail, but Evaporust is the answer to rusty tools. Works amazingly well.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Indispensable on the farm. I have a couple of pairs I’ve had for years. Probably Crescent. Keep them in the farm truck.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

I tried something similar.  I found them to be a little too small for 12.5 gauge.  I carry an 11mm box wrench now.  Get a bit more leverage and I can run it over the barbs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

This pic sort of shows it. The top of the pliers is squared off with a groove cut in it. That groove is deep enough that you just hook a tail of wire over the fence, close the pliers around it and spin and the groove guides the wire into a neat wrap. The method is much like the above pictured wire wrapping tool but better leverage and you don't need multiple tools.

If I were in the business of building fence I would have a truck full of specialty tools, but I'm in the cattle business and repairing fence when I find it is what I'm doing. Thus, the key is having the tool on me when needed so a multi-purpose tool in each truck & ATV suits me better than a whole box of tools back at the barn. I've never found another fence pliers that does a darn with wrapping wire and that's why I like the Crescent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the Channellock pliers. I was gifted them. They are underwhelming. They cut great but for twisting and bending a pair of vice grips are easier and quicker to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:42:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DADGAD] [#26]
About the only thing I find them good for is pulling staples, but in general I think they are mostly useless. I just carry a hammer and a few different pliers.

ETA - All I ever really work with is wood posts with metal Ts between and rolled fencing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#27]

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFeMnsDOH3I0AOTp65BezxqJNV9liW1_41kXdYCTOPEA&s
This pic sort of shows it. The top of the pliers is squared off with a groove cut in it.
View Quote

Thanks for the explanation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#28]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:56:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#31]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#32]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TexCorriente:
A buggy will be bare of screwdrivers, bolt cutters, post drivers and every other useful and necessary tool but the fence pliers always turn up.
That is mostly because they are always handy enough in a pinch, but not very appealing otherwise and don't get grabbed for projects not out fencing in the pasture so they don't walk off.
View All Quotes
A buggy will be bare of screwdrivers, bolt cutters, post drivers and every other useful and necessary tool but the fence pliers always turn up.
That is mostly because they are always handy enough in a pinch, but not very appealing otherwise and don't get grabbed for projects not out fencing in the pasture so they don't walk off.

I guess I never thought of it like that but there's definitely some truth to that. Fence pliers are mostly useless for other tasks so they don't walk off very often.

I do have to say, if you're thinking of moving to Indiana you will have to reprogram your brain on what a "buggy" is. Here buggies are pulled around by horses driven by people in plain clothes and a hat...

@SigOwner_P229 :

Could I pick your brain about running cattle in Indiana?
Wife and I went to Purdue and she is from Elkhart, and I'd like to move up there one day. I miss the big trees and colder winters.
Gotta be 60 miles from Elkhart so her mother is too afraid to drive over.

Ag land in the flat lands of Northern Indiana is far too expensive to make money running cattle unless you'rea feedlot located there for the close proximity to feed products. In the rolling hills of Southern Indiana we are more like Kentucky with lots of perennial pastures and thus a large cattle industry. You won't see much cattle up around Elkhart except for small family farms that do it either for homesteading/self-sufficiency reasons, 4H/youth reasons, or family farms that do it just because that's what they have always done.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Vise grips
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top