Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2023 9:33:41 AM EDT
Well it finally happened, something with my RV I can't repair. Last week I got a call from the campground that the trailer next to mine was on fire. The fire department was able to get it put out before it burned to the axels. But it was close enough to crack the smooth siding on my rig, and melt the roof. This is a 2020 Grand Design and I'm getting ready for the insurance adjuster to come out. One local repair guy said to call the factory, it might not be repairable.
if anyone has any advice I could sure use it.

thanks   Jim
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#1]
No advice, but sorry that happened. I hope they had insurance and they make it right.
What model GD?
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FOX_OSCAR_hook:
No advice, but sorry that happened. I hope they had insurance and they make it right.
What model GD?
View Quote
My insurance is going to cover it, they are listing it as a no fault. But it's a ST390RK, it was also my retirement plan. But I guess we'll see what happens I guess. I just wish I could get somebody from GD to return my call.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If it got hot enough to melt stuff, you do NOT want it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It was hot enough to melt the foam insulation below the outer layer. I think the walls are vacuum formed so they would have to replace the entire side of the camper. If that's the case I think they will total it.

I guess we will see.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Cybercop:
It was hot enough to melt the foam insulation below the outer layer. I think the walls are vacuum formed so they would have to replace the entire side of the camper. If that's the case I think they will total it.

I guess we will see.
View Quote

Even if the walls “could” be repaired and it made monetary sense for the insurance company to do so, I’d fight as hard as possible to have it declared a total loss as it will never be the same. Luckily that’s a model GD still makes and there are quite a few around the country. If you want to replace it with a like unit that is.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:

Even if the walls "could" be repaired and it made monetary sense for the insurance company to do so, I'd fight as hard as possible to have it declared a total loss as it will never be the same. Luckily that's a model GD still makes and there are quite a few around the country. If you want to replace it with a like unit that is.
View Quote
The answer to that would be yes, as the wife loves this camper. I just hope if they total it they don't rape me with depreciation because it's 3 years old.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Cybercop:
The answer to that would be yes, as the wife loves this camper. I just hope if they total it they don't rape me with depreciation because it's 3 years old.

Jim
View Quote

I hope they take care of you as well. Sad situation. Don’t know if this is allowed, but if you need help locating a replacement or any info that can help you with your claim let me know.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]

I hope they take care of you as well. Sad situation. Don't know if this is allowed, but if you need help locating a replacement or any info that can help you with your claim let me know.
View Quote
Thanks, I might take you up on that. The insurance adjuster hasn't been out yet, but I'm expecting it anytime. I guess I'll start looking around for a replacement just in case it swings that way.

Jim  
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear that, definitely hope they total it out and do right by you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought I should finish this up as it seems to be a done deal. The insurance totaled the trailer out, Grand Design did an outstanding job on estimating to repairs needed. Lets just say it was extensive and expensive! And apparently with the value of everything going up their giving me just a bit less for it than I paid for it three years ago.

And during this I had to make a trip to the original dealer to get a copy of the build list, and my wife saw another GD she liked. Well they offered a price that I couldn't say no to, it's being delivered in about a week. So now I get the fun of watching how much it goes for on COPART, at least thats who is picking it up. And thanks for the advise and just letting me rant a bit.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Even if the walls "could" be repaired and it made monetary sense for the insurance company to do so, I'd fight as hard as possible to have it declared a total loss as it will never be the same. Luckily that's a model GD still makes and there are quite a few around the country. If you want to replace it with a like unit that is.
View Quote
This, the walls and roof are among the things that if Compromised, I'd rather replace the whole camper as its more than likely going to end up giving you serious problems.

Over the last 20+ years, I've only had two campers,  (one pop up and one 17footer)  but the group I camp with most of them have hard 5 or 6 units and between them, I've seen some shit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By smullen:
This, the walls and roof are among the things that if Compromised, I'd rather replace the whole camper as its more than likely going to end up giving you serious problems.

Over the last 20+ years, I've only had two campers,  (one pop up and one 17footer)  but the group I camp with most of them have hard 5 or 6 units and between them, I've seen some shit.
View Quote
Oh I know that, I had a Trail Bay fifth wheel that the front fell off! Apparently it was made on a monday because while it had adhesive at the joints ... the fasteners were missing! Then there was the Open Range that the floors in the slides rotted in 24 months, the list seems endless. I'm hoping this is the last one I need to buy (HA!).

Jim

Top Top