Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2023 10:29:15 AM EDT
Stepped out back last night with the 22 Creed to see how thermal looked and to see if I could spot any coons that have been raiding the bird feeders.

Saw this guy walking down the property line about 50 yards away, he then promptly jumped into our woods in the back yard.  Spent about 10 minutes lip squeaking him and moving trying to get a shot on him in the woods.  Finally got him stopped while standing on the backstop in my backyard range.  Dropped him at about 140 yards.

First one I've shot out of the yard and was in my pajamas to top it off  He died about 3' from my AR500 coyote target

75gr ELDM at 3,400 is hard on them

Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice! We have very few coyotes here. I heard they were released on Aberdeen Proving Ground decades ago, to control the groundhogs, but they ended up not eating them! Now, they’ve spread beyond APG, but not far.

I’ve always wondered, is there any value in them? Are the pelts worth keeping? Or is it not worth the effort & just easier to toss the whole thing? I see fresh ones at work, along the railroad all the time…
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Morlok:
Nice! We have very few coyotes here. I heard they were released on Aberdeen Proving Ground decades ago, to control the groundhogs, but they ended up not eating them! Now, they've spread beyond APG, but not far.

I've always wondered, is there any value in them? Are the pelts worth keeping? Or is it not worth the effort & just easier to toss the whole thing? I see fresh ones at work, along the railroad all the time
View Quote

Fur prices are extremely low right now.  Not worth messing with unless we get a real pretty one that we want to keep for ourselves.  They usually just get tossed into a dead pit on a farm.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice! We have very few coyotes here. I heard they were released on Aberdeen Proving Ground decades ago, to control the groundhogs, but they ended up not eating them! Now, they’ve spread beyond APG, but not far.

I’ve always wondered, is there any value in them? Are the pelts worth keeping? Or is it not worth the effort & just easier to toss the whole thing? I see fresh ones at work, along the railroad all the time…
View Quote

@morlock

Northern Maryland has a ton of coyotes.  I hunt them on a bunch or farms just south of the PA border.  I have an Amish farm where I drop off coyotes and foxes at, they process them and make some money off em.

Link Posted: 11/23/2023 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on the pajama hunt. As already mentioned, most coyote hunters are not selling their coyote pelts at this time due to low prices. Most get left where they are shot or dumped in a pit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By rgaper:

@morlock

Northern Maryland has a ton of coyotes.  I hunt them on a bunch or farms just south of the PA border.  I have an Amish farm where I drop off coyotes and foxes at, they process them and make some money off em.

View Quote

Good to know! I rarely see them in my area (Harford County). I see them everywhere in Cecil County, across the Susquehanna. Then again, Harford County has been pretty much overcrowded for a while, and Cecil is still a lot of country…

Took me a while to see your response…you added a C to my name!
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
You are way way ahead to see if you have a taxidermist who is interested in buying them for mounts that people buy.  

Another option is to have the hide tanned fur on and sell them yourself.  You will find the right person to buy where you can make a small profit versus selling them to a fur buyer. I have to say many local fur buyers will low ball you because they can.  I have seen where guys would send their kids to the furbuyer as the furbuyers like to encourage the kids a bit and not downgrade all their furs.  

Sending out furs for tanning is not cheap anymore either.  Sometimes you can strike a deal with a taxidermist to add yours to his next batch.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Good to know! I rarely see them in my area (Harford County). I see them everywhere in Cecil County, across the Susquehanna. Then again, Harford County has been pretty much overcrowded for a while, and Cecil is still a lot of country…

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rgaper:

@morlock

@morlok

Sorry bro, for some reason my phone continues to auto correct that.

Yes, Cecil is loaded, can't speak for other counties.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Were they flannel, the pajammies?
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KoreyKirsch:
Congrats on the pajama hunt. As already mentioned, most coyote hunters are not selling their coyote pelts at this time due to low prices. Most get left where they are shot or dumped in a pit.
View Quote

Thanks!  Got another one off the porch in my pajamas tonight

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By weekender7:
Were they flannel, the pajammies?
View Quote

Flannel lined
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Wife spotted a coyote in the back yard while we were cooking dinner last night.  Ran and grabbed the 22 Creed and smoked him out the kitchen window

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Spotted this guy with a flashlight right at the end of the driveway when taking the dogs out last night.  He made the mistake of hanging around long enough for me to get the dogs in and grab the rifle.  Dropped him at 280 on the adjoining property I have permission to hunt.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on your success. It's rewarding to get some on your own ground, I know that feeling.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats on your success. It's rewarding to get some on your own ground, I know that feeling.
View Quote

Definitely!  Even better when it's with a rifle I built using ammo I loaded.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Very nicely done, congratulations.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Can you do a topic on your 22 creed?

Seems like an awesome round and I would like to know more....

Red
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By badredfish:
Can you do a topic on your 22 creed?

Seems like an awesome round and I would like to know more....

Red
View Quote

Definitely!  I'll try to write something up this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Another one from the yard.  191 yards.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top