Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 10:52:44 AM EDT
Monday I took the Z930M out to the acreage to knock down the heavy growth areas for the first mow of the year (& ended up doing the whole area).  

While mowing I found the area that drains into the pond to be saturated to the point of multiple areas of standing water.

Attachment Attached File

The pond itself was clearly overfull.

Attachment Attached File

It was, in fact, overflowing at the low end of the dam.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Clearly the overflow intake was blocked & not visible, probably 12"-18" below the surface.  The outflow pipe was running, but at a very low rate.  

Fortunately I had placed a removable guard on the intake, connected to a limb on the bank with a cord.   I located the line & gently pulled until the guard was dislodged & pulled up on the bank.  It was covered with a mat of sticks & leaves.

Attachment Attached File

Continued in next post

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:53:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#1]
continuation ...

The flow from the outflow pipe picked up immediately.

Attachment Attached File

At that point I went back to mowing & finished up all areas around the pond that weren't soggy.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Part of the concern about the pond was the prediction of heavy rains coming Wednesday & Thursday.

I went back Tuesday & although the water level had dropped 8" or so, the intake was still below water & not visible.  

I used a cultivating rake to move debris & search for the intake.  When I finally found it (under a tiny whirlpool) I used the rake to clear more debris & pond weed from the intake mouth.  The whirlpool got much larger & the outflow from the pipe below the dam doubled.

After a bit, the intake was visible through the water. It was clear of debris so I ended up putting the rim guard back on (even though still submerged) & called it a day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Ost
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a strainer for the top of it, it will stop debris from getting into your pipe and clogging it while still allowing all the water to flow through it.
I used to have mine clog with corn stakes every spring. I put one on my overflow pipe years ago and and haven't had a clog since. Just remove the stuff that gets around it and your good to go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Pond pipe clogs can be huge headaches, this will fix your future issues.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Post 10 (YouTube), is that you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're referencing this,
Clearing Blocked Pond Overflow Pipe

Yep.  Right after moving back to NC & starting recovery of the acreage.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hotdog250j:
Post 10 (YouTube), is that you?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:34:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the pics, always nice to see country living.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the comments!

I printed a better guard for the 6" overflow intake. In normal times, most intake will be from underneath the ring.  We'll see how it holds up.

Done in ASA, a bit over 10 hours print time on the Xmax3 using about  4/10 of a spool of filament (~$10 worth) & 12 M3 screws.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Beavers?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ropin4gold:
Beavers?
View Quote

That has happened in the past, which resulted in lot of mud in the pipe, but I think this time it was high winds & rain pushed debris into the intake's corner of the pond.  The majority of the  material coming out with the water was leaves & pond weed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:29:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#13]
I screwed up the screen, assumed the pipe was 6" & it was 4".   Drew up a new version & printed it the other day.  Installed it today.

Attachment Attached File

Fits well.  Sits a little crooked because the pipe end was not a clean, straight cut, but should work OK.  The top edge of the ring is a bit above the water line & bottom is below so flow is up & in rather than just across & down.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:37:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#14]
Originally Posted By nikdfish:
If you're referencing this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ug_TEjWOOk

Yep.  Right after moving back to NC & starting recovery of the acreage.
View Quote
No, he's referring to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=post10

Good job with the drain screen!

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Might want to dip and clean around your out flow.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Just call post10, he will take care of all your drainage issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top