Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 11:38:28 AM EDT
Just some data for those who care:

Gas type: ethanol blend, 87 octane
Storage container:  metal, nato fuel cans. No air in container after filling.   55 gals stored.
Storage condition: non-climate-controlled garage in south Texas (mostly hot)
Treatment: double shot of Stabil gas treatment (not the special alcohol product)

Three years examination:  Gas looked and smelled like new.

Used in ford f-150 v8 and a Toyota sienna minivan mixed with 1/4 to 1/3 of fresh fuel already in the vehicle's tank.  

Results:  Ran like fresh gas. No obvious issues. 'Maybe' a little rougher idle (maybe just be in my head)

btw: I was assured by my BIL that all the gas would be brown, useless crap.  He stores in the common, vented, red plastic containers for around the house use and his goes bad in 6-8 months.  I have encountered the same in those types of containers. Sealed metal is the way to go!  I wonder how long it would last in the metal jerry cans, but I don't want to risk having 55 gal of bad gas around, so I am swapping for fresh before hurricane season.

Just a little data for the fuel storage guys.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By roa:
Just some data for those who care:

Gas type: ethanol blend, 87 octane
Storage container:  metal, nato fuel cans. No air in container after filling.   55 gals stored.
Storage condition: non-climate-controlled garage in south Texas (mostly hot)
Treatment: double shot of Stabil gas treatment (not the special alcohol product)

Three years examination:  Gas looked and smelled like new.

Used in ford f-150 v8 and a Toyota sienna minivan mixed with 1/4 to 1/3 of fresh fuel already in the vehicle's tank.  

Results:  Ran like fresh gas. No obvious issues. 'Maybe' a little rougher idle (maybe just be in my head)

btw: I was assured by my BIL that all the gas would be brown, useless crap.  He stores in the common, vented, red plastic containers for around the house use and his goes bad in 6-8 months.  I have encountered the same in those types of containers. Sealed metal is the way to go!  I wonder how long it would last in the metal jerry cans, but I don't want to risk having 55 gal of bad gas around, so I am swapping for fresh before hurricane season.

Just a little data for the fuel storage guys.
View Quote

I have done the same thing with untreated 87 E10 gas but have gone as far as 4 years. Currently have stored gas that is almost 2 years and I’m rotating it slowly as I use it. Just as fresh as the day it was pumped.

Minor suggestion….if you buy gas to store, try to get gas from a station that sells a lot of gas. It’ll be fresher than a low volume station. But, hands down the most important thing to do it good, air tight storage. My favorite method is NATO cans. They aren’t cheap but there is nothing better. Maybe some as good but nothing better.

If you need bulk storage, that’s a different topic all together.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I buy from stations that sell no ethanol for storage.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for putting that together OP.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I did similar, but I think it was mainly Ethanol Free.  No Stabil added.

Was GTG, no problem.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Same but 91 ethanol-free, 4 years with an ounce of PRI-G per 5gal Jerry Can. Runs fine in both 24yo vehicles and all of my small engines.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I buy rec-fuel (allegedly ethenol free) for my outdoor equipment. I have 4 cheap plastic 5-gallon cans of various origins. A couple are less than perfectly sealed. I know I've had gas well over a year old. I've never had any fuel-related issues, even after more than a year of not using it.

I'm not saying fuel issues don't exist, but sometimes it seems like quicksand and ninjas - I used to think they would be problems I'd face frequently as an adult, but it just hasn't been the case.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Same.

I routinely use 3-year-old PRIG-treated gas in my 2009 truck and haven't had a hiccup. Usually do 1/2 stored gas and 1/2 fresh gas when I fill the tank. Always stored in new NATO-style Wavian cans.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Same result here - I have a few jerry cans close to 4 years in my long rotation.  Probably will not have issues.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#9]
OP thanks for your post

It is all so tiresome

On page one of the tacked thread here about fuel cans there is a post where I directly quote a fuel engineer about gas storage.

TLDR is...
Airtight.

Use airtight NATO cans or airtight 55 gallon drums or airtight quart cans.

Airtight works.

Not airtight and no amount of add on stabilizer will stop the inevitable march of time chemistry and physics.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PA22-400:
OP thanks for your post

It is all so tiresome

On page one of the tacked thread here about fuel cans there is a post where I directly quote a fuel engineer about gas storage.

TLDR is...
Airtight.

Use airtight NATO cans or airtight 55 gallon drums or airtight quart cans.

Airtight works.

Not airtight and no amount of add on stabilizer will stop the inevitable march of time chemistry and physics.
View Quote

Chill out.  OP posted his experiences.  It could be in the tacked thread or it could be in a new thread.  Either is perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Been planning on getting more fuel vessels, guess I'll go with metal Jerry cans. I have 4 5-gallon and 2 6-gallon plastic cans that I added vents to. Of course I stabilize it, but once it hits a year I burn it up. Forgot about my 6 gallon cans, now that stuff is 4 years old. Not sure what to do with it, but I'm scared to even mix it with fresh gas.

So moving forward: Jerry cans.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:16:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#12]
I’m using 5yo gas in the mower this tank. Was stabiled and put in one of the new plastic nonvented cans.

ETA: probably mixed it 50/50 when I added it. Didn’t know if I should risk running it straight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:23:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#13]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:
I’m using 5yo gas in the mower this tank. Was stabiled and put in one of the new plastic nonvented cans.

ETA: probably mixed it 50/50 when I added it. Didn’t know if I should risk running it straight.
View Quote

I have done both when running old gas but don’t think it matters either way.  Mixing 50/50 or straight there has been no efficiency or running difference for me.  I think we feel better mixing it 50/50 so that’s probably why we do it!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By texmarine0331:
I buy from stations that sell no ethanol for storage.
View Quote

This. It keeps longer than the internet “experts” think.

Most on here thinks it lasts only a month or two.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

I have done both when running old gas but don’t think it matters either way.  Mixing 50/50 or straight there has been no efficiency or running difference for me.  I think we feel better mixing it 50/50 so that’s probably why we do it!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Good to know wonder at that age how it will do in a more modern system.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Good to know wonder at that age how it will do in a more modern system.
View Quote

I have run 2 yr old gas in modern fuel injected vehicles without issue. That 2 yr old gas is stored well though. I usually mix it with newer gas but not for any particular reason other than the vehicle already has newer gas in it. I don’t try to get any specific mix though. Just pour it in. It might be a 50/50 mix but have run on almost all 2+ yr old gas without any issues. Smells just like fresh gas when I open it two years later too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#18]
3 years old gas means I screwed up my rotation, but I did just that not long ago. Burned fine, but I am smart and mix it 50/50 with new/newer gas when burning in my truck.  

Stored gas always gets stabil, always non-ethanol.

My kid once messed things up with stored gas that was maybe 1-2 yrs old but he didn’t understand that 50/50 meant 10 gallons of stored gas, plus 10 gallons of new gas.  He tried doing a full tank of old gas, then a full tank of new gas, that did not work for too long.  And he found some that looked a bit suspect, but used it anyhow…..  holy hell - what a pain.  Had to siphon it all out, change the plugs, clean the fuel injectors with a lot of cleaner, and dilute the hell out of what we could not siphon out.  

If it doesn’t look and smell right- don’t use it.  And mix old gas in with fresh for best results if possible.  I think a 1 year rotation plan is ideal, 2 years is doable, but beyond that is too long for me to be happy about it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#19]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
I've been using the Euro surplus metal cans since the early 90's.

When you get them, hopefully NEW, buy some spray undercoating for cars and hit the bottom of the can and the seams heavily. Ideally the whole can, but if your short on undercoating the bottom is the point where I've seen the most failures in 30 years.

Try to store diesel in them first if you have the option. When I get new ones I pick up some fresh off road diesel for my heavy equipment in them and fill the backhoe, bulldozer and excavator up. Diesel being a lubricant. Don't know how much this "really" helps but I've tried to do it every time.

The seals on the mouths will tend to go bad over time, but not in large quantity. We usually have about 20 cans in rotation and usually only 1 or so has a leak that you will only notice if you put the can on it's side instead of straight up.

Remember the cans will use special nozzles, and there is both a wide mouth and a smaller sized version. Get at least 2 nozzles if you have say 5 cans. They don't seem to be a perfect fit on every can, so being able to change one out to find the right fit is nice.

You WILL over time, start to find small bits of rust in your fuel-  again I'm not talking about six months or maybe even a few years- this is from the cans. About 2 years ago I had a rash of fuel issues on a tractor, a bulldozer and a backhoe. I changed fuel filters, purged lines, etc. Had to have a couple of fuel injectors rebuilt. Guy said "do you fill from cans or from a tank?" When I said cans he frowned and showed me some of the gunk that had accumulated.

Sometimes also you will see bits of whatever the red'ish coating inside the cans float while filling. Last fill up on off road under pressure at a station I watched what seemed like a big paint chip float around while the can was filling. I tried to float it out while filling but it didn't work. I marked the can and was sure to use a filter funnel on that one- never saw the piece come out.

I sometimes use one of those funnels with a screen, but not always. Those would be crucial to have post SHTF as you may be forced to use really old fuel and/or barter for fuel that you haven't totally vetted.
After those incidents I added in line disposable fuel filters also to the equipment and put about 20 in storage along with a roll of rubber fuel line and some hose clamps for repairs. This was all heavy equipment and tractors.  These things plus some starting fluid would be handy to keep as extras.

View Quote

You need some of the “Mr Funnel” filtering funnels.  Designed to separate out any water in the fuel, but they also stop any rust and crud (or dirt/dust coming off the outside of the can).

Another thing is that if I am using a jerry can and spout, (because those Mr Funnel filter devices don’t work great at an angle) never pour the whole can into the vehicle- the rust and junk will be at the bottom of the can, be smooth and gentle with how you handle it so you don’t mix it up.  You can pour out most of the fuel but the last quarter gallon or so without much danger of junk going into your vehicle.

Then you can basically use the Mr Funnel, dump out one can completely thru it and into a second can, so you have a clean and emptied can.  Next then use the funnel again, pour all the remaining amounts of fuel from various cans into that clean can, this essentially will mean the Mr Funnel filter will catch all the crud from all those cans.  So you now have some clean fuel in one can, and your empty cans are fairly clean and ready to be refilled.  

Or just do like I do- mount the funnel on my boat’s fuel fill, and pour all the left over gas with crud in it thru the filter.  Catches all the crud, cleans out the cans.  Works pretty well.  

Keep that rust and crud out of your fuel system to begin with if at all possible….

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/4D75BBFC-ED48-4A7E-8E17-705C8551F489?ingress=2&visitId=cd4b16f7-2661-46a8-812b-c304bed83254&ref_=ast_bln
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I do my best to rotate but my oldest cans have a year or more old gas in it.  Doesn't bother me in the least.

I also have a mix mash of different cans I have got over the years, even some cheap china jerry cans that suck.  I still use them though.  

I have often thought about buying a dozen of the good jerry cans from rover parts as they are not far from me, but I still haven't.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I just used some from June of 2020. 100% gas stored in a jerry can with stabil. I missed using this one and recently found it. Gas smelled good so I used it in a mower and 4 wheeler with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks OP!

I love this site. After learning as much as I could from the Fuel Can Oracle, I moved to the NATO cans exclusively for storage. No more leaking cans and the peace of mind knowing I have some gas stored safely for a rainy day.

I did keep the old red plastic cans for surge capacity or for loaners.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:11:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#24]
Originally Posted By wesr228:
Thanks OP!

I love this site. After learning as much as I could from the Fuel Can Oracle, I moved to the NATO cans exclusively for storage. No more leaking cans and the peace of mind knowing I have some gas stored safely for a rainy day.

I did keep the old red plastic cans for surge capacity or for loaners.
View Quote

I have some old cheap gas cans I could use if needed but I keep them empty. I also have 6 MFC cans I could use if needed but I can’t rely on them since the caps have some damage and don’t hold pressure as needed. But, I could easily fill them in the event there was some natural disaster and fuel is in short supply and I would just use the gas in those cans first.

I think it’s worth keeping some cheap gas cans around but just don’t use them as primary fuel storage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, my boat has been sitting up about 2 yrs.....

Hopefully I won't have a survival story about getting stranded in the middle of the lake!!!

Doc
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I ordered another four of these.

NATO Jerry Cans By Wavian, 20 Liter, Set of 4

and,

Donkey Dick
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 1975:
I ordered another four of these.

NATO Jerry Cans By Wavian, 20 Liter, Set of 4

and,

Donkey Dick
View Quote
This is the way. I have 12 from the early 2000s have paid for themselves in plastic can replacements.  I've yet to have one fail.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Avramel:
This is the way. I have 12 from the early 2000s have paid for themselves in plastic can replacements.  I've yet to have one fail.
View Quote

Same experience. I have had cheap cans fail years ago and have even had some MFCs fail (the caps break). The NATO cans keep working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top