Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2024 11:03:58 AM EDT
Good morning,

I recently picked up a Champion Duel Fuel and had a question on whether or not to ground.  I was told no because modern generators don't require it.  However, the manual states to properly ground with 12AWG copper and copper spike.  Is this still common?  

Champion Dual Fuel
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Generac 12k and used to just push it out the basement walk out. Now it resides in its own shed outside. No grounding required nor desired.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Grounding is never a bad idea, but millions of these things run everywhere without it.
Up to you, but without a solid grounding connection there is no benefit.  That means tying onto an established ground rod, grounded metal building, copper pipe, etc.

An 8” spike is unlikely to get to “ground”, an 8’ rod should.

A good ground connection should protect from shock IF something goes wrong and energizes the generator frame.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Grounding is never a bad idea, but millions of these things run everywhere without it.
Up to you, but without a solid grounding connection there is no benefit.  That means tying onto an established ground rod, grounded metal building, copper pipe, etc.

An 8” spike is unlikely to get to “ground”, an 8’ rod should.

A good ground connection should protect from shock IF something goes wrong and energizes the generator frame.
View Quote

Grounding and bonding: Generator sources and transfer switches
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Grounding the generator is cheap insurance. If your not running it constantly you'll probably be ok.

That being said grounding in very dry soil does nothing. Make sure you go down into moist soil and add water to it regularly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Will it be connected to the house? If so, it’s grounded.

If not, then it’s not a bad idea to drive a rod but it’ll work without it too
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Roll out? No ground.
Whole house permanent? Yes ground.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Champion 4000 hybrid.  I would carry it out to the driveway and run extension cords from it directly.  Can I ground to the exterior of the house?  Utility pipes?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:21:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#8]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Champion 4000 hybrid.  I would carry it out to the driveway and run extension cords from it directly.  Can I ground to the exterior of the house?  Utility pipes?
View Quote

If you want to ground it, figure where you plan to run it and drive a ground rod there. Leave a copper wire, 6-12 ga connected to it with the appropriate clamp. There should be a ground point on the generator. When you use it, wheel the generator out, connect the ground wire, and run it.

Depending on the grounding point on the generator, you might need to install some sort of connector on the grounding wire.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

If it is anywhere near the meter there should be a ground rod already there.  Don’t ground it to the gas line.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes. the meters (Electric and gas) are right next to the garage door.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes. the meters (Electric and gas) are right next to the garage door.
View Quote

Then it is easy.  There should be a ground wire right there.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:37:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Recorderguy] [#14]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Will it be connected to the house? If so, it’s grounded.

View Quote

Not if ran through a transfer switch, if you're using an interlock to feed the panel then it would be.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Recorderguy:

Not if ran through a transfer switch, if you're using an interlock to feed the panel then it would be.  

View Quote

Your transfer switch has to be wired to the house panel neutral and ground so when you plug the generator in, it's connected to the house neutral and house ground.  It switches the hot legs from grid power to generator power.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#16]
One of the advantages to feeding the normal house wiring is the connection to normal house ground with the bonded neutral.

Inverter generators typically have the "hot" and "neutral" both floating so neither is grounded. There are some types of electronic equipment, and especially UPSes that complain when the neutral line isn't grounded... so if you bond the neutral to ground, now your generator chassis has voltage potential unless it's grounded to a suitable ground somewhere in the chain. One could make a "suicide cord" with only the ground terminal wired to connect your generator circuit to the house ground if nothing else was available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top