BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2024 3:41:42 PM EDT
This year’s experiment:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh cool, I have seen alot of.videos on that, looks pretty cool.
I never tried it because of time and potatos used to be cheap.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By deerranger:
Oh cool, I have seen alot of.videos on that, looks pretty cool.
I never tried it because of time and potatos used to be cheap.
View Quote
"Regular" potatoes are still pretty cheap; I grow odd varieties that aren't common in grocery stores. These are fingerlings that are purple inside, called "Magic Molly".
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I had good success with them in boxes last year - my first year growing potatoes in any way
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew some in a 5 gallon bucket.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Whamo:
View Quote
That's what I did last year, and that was what made me decide to try bags and boxes this year. Largely because Lady Rodent didn't like the look of buckets in our yard; she's okay with the bags.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Whamo:
View Quote
We use food grade five gallon buckets.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
That's what I did last year, and that was what made me decide to try bags and boxes this year. Largely because Lady Rodent didn't like the look of buckets in our yard; she's okay with the bags.

View Quote
where are those bags from?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:32:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#9]
Originally Posted By penrod72:
View Quote
The brand is "Root Pouch". I bought them at Lowes or Home Depot, I can't remember which.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:53:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#10]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
I have an honest question for everyone.

Why do YOU, personally, choose to grow potatoes in containers rather than in the ground (or in raised beds, built on the ground)?

I'm interested in this.  It seems like a really popular thing to do, but I've never understood it.  

(I grew up on a farm and we had a big garden.  My dad and grandfather raised our potatoes for the year in those gardens, and stored them in bins in our (respective) basements).

Everyone now seems to use some kind of container, and I'd like to know why.

Is this always folks who are not able to garden in-ground for some reason?
View Quote
They're easy to move.

Planting is really simple: take them to my buddy's farm, put a potato in the bottom, fill them with compost, and bring them home.

Soil warms up way earlier in containers - I can plant weeks earlier in the spring.

They look nice on the deck and patio.

No tilling, virtually no weeding.

No matter how much it rains, the soil doesn't get waterlogged.

To harvest, I carry the bags to where I want the dirt, and dump them out. Couldn't be simpler.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]
what rodent said, plus the soil  on the top of this mountain is teh suq.  buying a few bags of soil type stuff and putting it in bags/boxes is just more efficient and concentrates and keeps nutrients around the plants.

plus, i really haven't decided where to put a garden, and i'd like to build a small greenhouse and will prob find it convenient to carry dirt in the bags
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm trying mine in 7 gallon nursery pots this year.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I planted in boxes last year because I have 2 very small raised beds, and not enough room for potatoes and the other stuff I wanted to plant.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I planted in boxes last year because I have 2 very small raised beds, and not enough room for potatoes and the other stuff I wanted to plant.
View Quote
How did it work out?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I planted one time in a 5 gallon bucket for the grandson. It was an easy way to plant at his house.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried this last year, I guess it worked fine, was my first time growing potatoes so I don't really have much to compare. I got what I guess was a decent enough harvest for the time of year planted, potatoes used, and my inexperience.

The one minor issue with grow bags is that they dry out a lot more quickly than pots, so you have to keep on top of watering them if youre somewhere hot and dry. Last year I buried a shallow container inside the bottomish area of the large 7 gallon bags to help retain moisture, and that seemed to work ok. Smaller bags I just put in a large plant saucer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rodent:

You can get them off Lowes and HD, as mentioned. Best bang for your buck used to be buying Root puch in bulk off greenhouse megastore, though I dont know if that still the case. They're worth the trouble to get, they're much better quality then the other bags I've gotten.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top