Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2024 10:01:13 PM EDT
When I started reading ARF in 2006, the after effects of Hurricane Katrina were still making its presents known and people were gearing up for a political change that we haven't seen before in D.C.

You couldn't go an hour without someone asking a question or commenting on: Bug-in vs Bug-out, when to Bug-out, what do I need in my DD, what do I need in a Get Home Bag, what is in your GO-Bag, how important is it to have an INCH bag and various other topics of what gear is needed, how to train with the gear and why you need it.  

There was always a ton of other topics up for debate, but at least there was some discussion moving the community forward around having to "GO" somewhere.  As noted in other threads, the online forum boards are dying off and being replaced with Facebook discussion groups; hence the fall off of the discussions here.

So, for a week, lets bring it back...GO-Bags

(Bubba from Forest Gump)
You have your:
Go bag
Get home bag
Bug Out bag
INCH bag
Messenger Bag
Computer Backpack Bag...

Two instances I can recall I saw pop culture mention GO Bags; one was in an episode of Law and Order (post 9-11); NYC family puts together a bag about the size of a large softball equipment bag.  It had a change of clothes for everyone, bottle of water for everyone and $5,000 cash.  Dead beat family member stole the five grand.  
The other instance was in the HBO show Newsroom.  A Junior producer wanted to cover the Boston Bombing, the Senor Producer told her to grab her GO-Bag and get going.  The junior has the most blank - WTF look on her face; the Senor reaches under her desk, pulls out a bag, holds it up in the air, points at it; "GO Bag", throws it at the Junior and yells "GO".  Upon inventory of the bag; full set of makeup, full set of bathroom overnight things, change of business casual work clothes, passport, a Little Black Dress and the shoes to go with the dress.  (for both examples, going off of memory so don't sue me if I missed a few items or have them wrong).

Quite the difference on what has been discussed here over the years.  Does it go to show, people only care about certain things (buy your way out or look a part); and count on skill / luck for the rest.

Or

Is this relevant anymore with the popularity of EDC (Every Day Carry)?

Or

Is this whole topic suffering the same fate as "minimalism" where; you do it once, you know what it is, but you don't do it a second time until it becomes important?

For me, I have only needed to use a GO-Bag three times.  Two different instances of needing to take a family member to the hospital and not knowing how long I would need to stay (and not wanting to leave) and one instance where I was traveling and I needed a handful of quarters to run a laundry machine (no attendant or change machine to help).  
On the hospital trips, I was ripping out all the knives, fishing hooks, etc to pass through the metal detector and x-ray machine (and then I just ate some of the food so I didn't pay $3 for a candy bar) and the third time was I outside in the rain for four hours and it was the only way to get the clothes packed up in 30 minutes to get back on the road without making a bigger mess.

Since 2019, my car get home bag has been in the basement and my bug-out bag has been striped of its gear and the pack is only used a few times a year for scouts.  Crappy, I know.

It was nice to have them, but still not sure they were the difference maker people made them out to be in the 2000's.

So, are you still Pro "GO Bag" or has it fallen off your radar?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Bags?

I’ve had them by the score.

My current set up which oddly has gotten used more than I ever thought consists of 2 bags.

Tue smaller bag is a Kifaru E&E bag that basically contains what most folks would have in a GHB except pared down in size.

Tue other bag is an old Lightfighter Tactical RAID pack. Thr pack has been with me to africa several times on safari and once there becomes my day pack for throwing on the Land Cruiser.

At home this bag contains list of things I just like to have with me.

A complete charging kit for everything and several small power banks as well as a small light that powers off them. When I travel the charging kit gets sued for phones and o several times that light has gotten used such as twice when the Hilton I was staying in lost power. Amarillo needs to up its game.

General snacks. I seem to get caught in road closures a lot here in CO. Last year I saw a wreck on eastbound 70 just before Vail Pass. Backup was over 20 miles so I stopped at my client west if there 90 min and then took the long way home. A lot of places I would have stopped at were pretty full so I just filed at the pump, and headed on and the snacks got me home after a total of 17.5 hours on the road. All but 1 of that driving.

I keep a couple of extra pairs of socks in there as well as a polo shirt and several times over the years where u expected weather or just sheer exhaustion had pushed me into a hotel for the night a clean shirt, underwear and socks and well as a small personal hygiene kit has made a huge difference.

Now there is a 3rd bag that rides in the trunk as well and it will get swapped out to summer configuration May 1. That’s the one with the stove and shelter and warm stuff in it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:56:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taft] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I think as I've gotten older and learned what does and what doesn't work, I've focused less on gear and supplies and more on what I can do with what I have. I have been through a ton of natural disasters, from blizzards to tornados to floods, and had an active shooter in my yard. I have upped what I carry all the time, so there's less emphasis on GTFO after grabbing specific supplies.

I work in a no-carry by federal law facility, but I have a knife, light, my phone, 2 cards, $100 cash and ~$5k in PMs on me. I'm wearing clothing I could walk home in from work. My work bag behind me has backups of all those things, plus more cash, first aid, water, and instant coffee. If I can get to the truck it has a full complement of my EDC gear and enough food/supplies to comfortably live out of for a week. If I can get to my house it's the same, plus more. I know from practice that I can go 3 days without food. I am grumpy but otherwise OK.

In every event once the initial action was over, what I needed most was time and money. I have generous PTO from work and emergency cash/accounts and access to credit. If I have to grab the kids and "escape" to a better place, it's likely a hotel within an afternoon's drive. From there I can order room service and have amazon deliver more stuff that day, if needed. If my work explodes and my profession becomes illegal (both unlikely) I have put enough into accounts that I could still retire when I'm old enough without eating cat food. If my house is decimated with everything besides what I have on me or with me, insurance will kick in. And honestly I'd be sitting better supplied than like 90% of the world's population.

I do have supplies and stuff organized, that if I had a minute to grab from the house I could be really well equipped. if I had 10 minutes I could basically move out.

I'd rather use and have my stuff with me generally than living in a bag in the back of the closet. I've also stashed copies of gear and back up guns at a number of friend/families houses so if I did lose it all, I could resupply quickly.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll have a more verbose reply as we are sitting in an empty campground (no power hooked up or water at the site) with my wife's "go-trailer". Actually, it's been a good test for off grid...

Back to bags. I have too many.

For normal times, your go-bag is likely your EDC or work bag and it can do double duty.

My truck or get-home bag is my primary. Much of bug-out bag prep is disorganized totes right now, but my patrolling bag is set up.

Lately, I've been working on a minimalist pack that is low enough profile to be unassuming, but just enough to sustain me for 24 hours and/or an immediate evac.

More later...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
I'll have a more verbose reply as we are sitting in an empty campground (no power hooked up or water at the site) with my wife's "go-trailer". Actually, it's been a good test for off grid...

Back to bags. I have too many.

For normal times, your go-bag is likely your EDC or work bag and it can do double duty.

My truck or get-home bag is my primary. Much of bug-out bag prep is disorganized totes right now, but my patrolling bag is set up.

Lately, I've been working on a minimalist pack that is low enough profile to be unassuming, but just enough to sustain me for 24 hours and/or an immediate evac.

More later...

ROCK6
View Quote

There comes a point where you just have too many bags. I've crossed it, although, in fairness, most all of them are just empty bags acquired when the "good idea fairy" came to visit.

I'm starting to think that perhaps I should organize a set of bags with specific capabilities. Like, one for food for a week. Ordinarily, if we just have to leave due to power being out because some drunk plowed into a power pole, that wouldn't require taking a week's worth of food. Same with clothing. Overnight to 3 days, normal go-bag. Need two weeks? Grab the "clothing add-on" bag. Need shelter? Grab the "makeshift shelter" bag. And so forth. That way, when you go to load up, you don't try to carry either 87 bags with you all the time or one ginormous bag with 87 items bulging out the seems.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a "oh shit bag" but it's different from a "bug out bag".

We put it together in case we need to flee the house, ie. you have 60 seconds to get out of the house in the middle of the night, in your underwear. Mostly geared towards an unavoidable house fire.
It's a un-missable bag staged by our window. I try to encourage everyone to have something like that. It doesn't have to be fancy. Just enough to get you out and clothed.

clothes for the Mrs and I and the child.
Hygiene items
Spare truck keys
cash, ID Scans, Insurance paperwork, USB's
shoes
knife, flashlight, batts,
winter clothes
pens, notebooks etc.

We repack it about every quarter. It's designed to get us clothed and to a hotel/friends house and keep us going for 72-86 hours.

Last year we had fires nearby. So we packed wife a specific bag for getting out:
masks, water, food, notes, pens etc.
pet beds, food etc
child care stuff
clothes, cash etc.
plan was for wife to flee long before mandatory evacs with pets and child.

Tagged it with flagging tape and stacked it in a corner so it could be grabbed quickly.

mine looked a little different as I was prepared to stay until mandatory evacs hit and would secure the house/property and help neighbors' with theirs. possibly being snarled in traffic, no gas etc.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]
The “house on fire” bag is one I need to revisit.  It’s one bag I don’t have and would be a real difference maker if needed.

It’s one reason why I don’t empty out my pants at the end of the night.  They normally have: house key, car keys, cash, credit cards, flashlight, pen, knife, id.  No time to set it up and very grab and go when needed,  at least I would have something.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I think bags are still very much relevant, maybe people are finally having that epiphany that they're not going to take a 72 hour bag and run into to the woods and live forever. For me, I keep a 72 hour bag for sustainment in case I need to be away from home for a few days. I try to keep everything in 3's I have three ways to light a fire, three sources of light, three means of comms, three pair of socks, etc. At least twice a year, I get out and put this to practice and then take notes on how I can improve.

I also keep what I call my "truck bag". This is my means of defense, water procurement, light and food to get me home. This is always in the truck when I'm outside of ~20 miles of home. Beyond these, I think I focus more on making my home defensible and sustainable more than I worry about adding more stuff to a bag anymore though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:57:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wesr228] [#9]
I have a get home bag in the car and a "go bag" for work also. Wife hates all the stuff, but I work in ER and need to be able to get to a site to see what's going on before the crew shows up with the trucks and trailer.

As far as the get home portion, it's more for if say the Interstate is closed down because of flooding or I'm stuck and need some general preparedness things. The get home bag is modeled after NutNFancy's "Urban Survival Kit." I've used lots of things in it and have to make sure I replace it when done using stuff.

Rope's been invaluable. The first aid kit saved my bacon when I had a bad fall with lots of superficial bleeding. Knives... needed those. Flashlights, yep, needed them too. Tools. I haven't had to rely on the water or water filtration or food, but it comfort me knowing it's there.

I made my wife a get home bag also, but it just sits in storage. I also had an extra bag I filled with MRE's and Mountain House. It's a grab and go food bag that'll last a week for each of us. I don't have a need for it, but had the bag so thought, why not? It's climate controlled, so I'll check it in 5 years and see how's it doing.

No real plans to bug out, but guess food is ready if we need it. If we evacuate for a hurricane, we'll add clothes and documents to the list. It's arfcom, so there are also "minute man" bags, but it's more for an ease of transportation thing.

So I guess plenty of bags, it really just helps organize things.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I still carry a Maxpedition over the shoulder bag with me every day.  It has most of what I need in an urban environment.  If traveling,  I always have basic tools, a long gun,  extra ammo, food, water.  Considering my advanced age and poor health,  that's about the best I can do.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:33:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pav56C] [#11]
I think it's hard to have a dedicated "Go Bag" because no one knows why, when, where, or how your going.

A Mystery Ranch pack loaded up with my house food, tents, fire starting tools and a pack axe, great tools and a great
to have, but worthless when your relative 5 hours away calls you with a medical emergency. Or if some sort of low level disaster forces you to relocate for a few days.

My preference is to have bags, have gear, have it centrally located, if it takes you 5 mins to load a bag with what you need for the specific scenario it's worth it.

I travel rather frequently between work and personal life (spending the weekend at this one's house, flying down to such and such for a few days, etc). I have a small black gym bag I got off Amazon (it was intended for the gym), which has been a work horse for me. In about 5 mins I can toss in a few days shirts, socks underwear. Additional shoes if needed. I have a hygiene bag already assembled, so throw that in. Phone and watch chargers, and daily meds and I'm ready to go.

If it's a SNAFU, I can add additional armament as needed, and I have cash stocked away as well.

If were talking the coveted societal collapse scenario frequently discussed here, I have appropriate internal frame packs, and it's a question of loading them what I think I'll need. Although I will admit I do keep my wife's loaded because I know she won't be able to do it, and she doesn't really have durable clothing anyway. So I bought what I thought she would need and loaded the bag. Don't think she even knows about it 😄.

I should also mention that as part of my EDC I generally have a compact 9mm that holds 15 and a spare mag, weapon light, small rechargeable flashlight in my pocket. A folding blade of some type, a Bic lighter, and a compass on the band of my smart watch. Definitely not going to thrive and solve every problem but some tools is better than none.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#12]
May not exactly be what this thread is talking about but it’s related. I have become a big fan of the Earth Pak bags. Durable, dust and water resistant (dust and water proof if you roll them down enough). They make multiple sizes for whatever your needs are.

Also really like the Piscifun waterproof bags. Appears to be the same material as the Earth Pak bags.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:59:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#13]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
I think it's hard to have a dedicated "Go Bag" because no one knows why, when, where, or how your going.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is where I think many get stuck or lost going down the rabbit hole and when they ask for opinions they can be all over the map as everyone has different environments, requirements, situations, experiences and priorities.

I do think a home SHTF bag with essentials to grab if there’s a house fire, hurricane/tornado, flood, or wildfire threat is pretty damn important. Essentials being stuff to document and facilitate your insurance claims.

I do have a patrol bag setup for simply patrolling the back of the property. It’s a mission-specific bugout bag, but it gets used.

Where I’ve shifted a little recently is focusing more on smaller footprint packs (and sling bags) as a short-term sustainment pack. A mix between an EDC pack and problem-solving pack. While my focus has been on more urban areas (where we visit for certain events), it can adapt to other environment. It’s not a bugout, bug-home, or large contingency pack. It won’t solve every problem, but it does provide several options and the ability to adapt and improvise. These are really just 72-hour bags, something to get me away from a crisis or sustain me long enough to get to my vehicle, hotel, or campsite where I’ll have more substantial kit. The challenge is to keep it small and low profile to sustain your mobility and maneuverability.

I should also mention that as part of my EDC I generally have a compact 9mm that holds 15 and a spare mag, weapon light, small rechargeable flashlight in my pocket. A folding blade of some type, a Bic lighter, and a compass on the band of my smart watch. Definitely not going to thrive and solve every problem but some tools is better than none.

This is a good philosophy. I see my EDC and my small sustainment pack as a minimalist approach to having options on your person. No, the combination won’t solve every problem, but they can handle the vast majority of “high probability” contingencies.

My more recent experimentation is with a low-profile “urban/sub-urban” pack. I have the awesome, svelte Viktos Upscale 2 sling bag, but it’s just too small to adequately address (or carry) water even a light wind or rain shell. I wanted a flatter, narrower profile to essentially just “hide” on my back. I was considering packs between 10-18 liters. The other challenge was that some of the really minimalist packs had zero structure (something like my old REI Flash), so any amount of weight made them absurdly unstable. Adding a couple spare magazines becomes very apparent.

Compression straps become more important when you don/doff your wind, rain, or softshell jacket. I didn’t get overly concerned, but was looking for thinner shoulder straps, not bulky, heavily padded ones. A removable waist strap was a nice feature, but not expected to be used. A sternum strap can help stabilize a hip-belt-less pack pretty good, so it was a top consideration.

I wasn’t concerned about the versatility to MOLLE, but I didn’t want a pack covered with it, just to keep from looking too militaristic. Some of the laser-cut MOLLE actually does a good job of being utilitarian looking more than military.

To keep a narrower profile, I didn’t mind side pockets, but planned to keep a water bottle/filter inside the pack to keep it streamlined.

I didn’t want any camo or bright colors, so I stuck with mostly black and gray. With a similarly colored jacket, they blended well without sticking out.

I’ve been switching between:

Recycled Firefighter Battalion 12-Hour pack

Eberlestock Bandit

5.11 12-liter MOLLE Packable pack

Osprey Katari biking pack

Found an older Marmot Kompressor  pack that’s back in the mix…

I really like the versatility of the Bandit, but it’s just a tad large for some excursions, but I plan to use it more as it really tick a lot of boxes for me.  What’s surprisingly capable is the Osprey Katari (hydration) pack; the form is great and I’m able to squeeze in my kit, water bottle, and shell/layer.

I thought I had some pictures available, but they’re not uploaded yet. Essentially, something in-between my small sling bag and my travel/truck-get-home bag that expands my capabilities without increasing size too much and the double shoulder straps make dynamic stuff much more feasible when worn:

ROCK6

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
May not exactly be what this thread is talking about but it’s related. I have become a big fan of the Earth Pak bags. Durable, dust and water resistant (dust and water proof if you roll them down enough). They make multiple sizes for whatever your needs are.

Also really like the Piscifun waterproof bags. Appears to be the same material as the Earth Pak bags.
View Quote

Great suggestions. My wife and I spent a week down in Ocala, FL, partially boondocking, but doing a lot of kayaking and paddle boarding. I used a dry bag inside a small day pack, but a dedicated dry-pack would likely be a better option.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Great suggestions. My wife and I spent a week down in Ocala, FL, partially boondocking, but doing a lot of kayaking and paddle boarding. I used a dry bag inside a small day pack, but a dedicated dry-pack would likely be a better option.

ROCK6
View Quote

I have both and multiple sizes of both. I have done overnight kayaking trips and the Piscifun bags keep everything dry, even after a tip over.

When I go out camping in the Jeep, I do a lot of trails and dirt roads. Dust gets inside the Jeep. It’s nice to keep everything dust free. The bags get plenty of dust on them but the contents are nice and clean.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Finally getting around to reply to this thread!  Good posts so far and it's nice to see the down to earth realistic info.

I also have more packs than I could ever wear out and quit bothering with a dedicated bug out bag years ago.  Once my wife and I were able to go from apartment dwellers to a house in the woods my focus shifted towards various kits for specific purposes.  Just over a decade ago we moved from our first house in the woods to our second which is setup much better for off grid living.  Since then, my focus has been geared more towards self-reliance, and being able to weather realistic situations and hardships that have historically occurred in my AO.

In the next week or so I am going to revisit my general purpose 72-hour grab pack which is really the only bag I keep ready to go anymore.  I keep it light, simple and it only contains the basics.

While my gear room is busting at the seams everything is organized, and I know where all my different gear is stored and kept.  Same with my clothing, boots, guns, ammo.  Give me about 10 minutes and I can have a pretty good loadout for whatever the situation is, to include camping without resupply for a solid week.

IF I don't have 10 or even 5 minutes then I probably only have business carrying my light ready to go 72-hour bag.  That with my EDC messenger bag and I will have more then I need to be carrying in a quick reaction situation any ways.

I think having your gear organized so you can cherry pick what you might need with short notice is just as important as having a live off the grid too heavy to carry BOB.  

Over the years my EDC bag/ get home from work bag has shrunk.  I keep extra stuff in my office, and work car but in a situation where I need to walk, I probably won't take it all with me anyways because I don't like carrying weight for long distances.  35 miles on foot and it will only be what I need to get me home.  It would have to be an end of times type event to get to that anyways so it's pretty low on my list at this point.  Hopefully I can grab a bike if needed but if not, I know I can walk it with a minimal amount of gear so that's what I would do.  If it's during a large snow event, then I will have to wait for better weather which I can do.  Back to being self-reliant I know I have the knowledge, and ability to make things work when others just shrug their shoulders.

Last fall we bought a camper and this spring we will start outfitting it with our gear.  Everything that goes in it will live there.  Knowing I can grab a box or bin of food and go survive off grid in relative comfort wherever I can tow it to is a game changer.  Now I just need to wrap my brain around which/ what gear will live in it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:15:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#17]
Lots of good ideas in this thread and some good motivation for me to go back through and update my flash drives of personal docs, picture documentation and so on for insurance purposes. That is one time I've neglected in my bags.

That aside...I wouldn't call it a system exactly but currently I'm organized in "layers." Bare minimum is a kit bag with essentials for defense, trauma, nav and a small amount of survival type stuff. Next layer is my outdoors bag which builds upon the kit bag and adds more stuff like a SPAX, hydration bladder, more tools, small item like zipties, spare batteries, etc. I have dry bags to organize clothing, woobies and stuff like that, molle med kit that can attach to any of my other bags, ultralight cooking kit, comms, food rations and so on. A couple other bags that are covert defensive bags with a kitten more room for additional stuff if needed; one of those goes with if leaving town for the day a ways away from home or overnight. Other bags get packed and unpacked as I go on different trips and adventures. I have two locations with gear staged that I can walk into and stock only what I need. Those locations alo are additional supplies of dry and canned food, ammo, defensive tools, etc.

My biggest layers aren't bags but totes. The totes are organized into smaller sub-totes inside. This is my camping and overlanding kit, so the totes will be things like flashlight, batteries, radio, another with food prep stuff, another with medical stuff, fire starting, water filtration ad purification and so on. A two burner grill fits in there with a couple fuel canisters, tarps, hammocks, bug net, etc. Tents and additional tarps are staged nearby. The plus to this is since I actually use it throughout the year I know what is there and practice using everything so we can modify as needed and ditch extra stuff.

If I really need to get out of town I can have the family loaded in a 4 wheel drive with enough stuff ready for food, shelter, water, cash, defense and so forth in 20 minutes tops. If it is something where we just need to go now I can be out the door much, much more quickly. All vehicles stay loaded with basics all of the time plus tools and recovery gear.

It's not perfect but I feel pretty prepared. I should make a bag of just essential grab and go stuff to walk out with if needed too. The only type of pack I still really need is a framed pack for hauling heavy loads. It would be rare that I'd use it but need to get one eventually. Analysis paralysis haunts me there.I also ascribe to buy once/cry once but hate overpaying for complicated (heavy) features that aren't needed. It will be a lifetime purchase when i find the right one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bowmanch:
The “house on fire” bag is one I need to revisit.  It’s one bag I don’t have and would be a real difference maker if needed.

It’s one reason why I don’t empty out my pants at the end of the night.  They normally have: house key, car keys, cash, credit cards, flashlight, pen, knife, id.  No time to set it up and very grab and go when needed,  at least I would have something.
View Quote

Yeah that is a good idea.

By my bedroom door we have a big fire extinguisher, the dog’s crate, and a spare leash so we aren’t having to chase after a loose dog in an emergency.  But we don’t really have a go bag for the house is on fire set up…

Packed go bags and vehicles due to nearby wildfires a few times.  Last year I also spent an hour photographing everything mildly valuable so that if the house did burn down it would be easier to figured out the contents.  That included guns and related items which are on a separate insurance policy.  

Then I ordered a bunch of sprinklers, additional fire retardant mix, and such.  This year will have a setup capable of spraying water all around the house, plus the fire retardant foam, so it might still be around if we have time to prep it before fleeing.

Anyhow, gonna have to work on the bag situation.  Have plenty of bags and backpacks at least.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Also- at one point we had a few different evacuation checklists:

0 minutes/get out now- grab the kids and dog, run!

5 minutes to leave list- had all the stuff to grab. Go bag, wallet, phone, keys, etc.  

15 minute list- had more stuff added to the list such as old photo albums.  

1 hour list- started to add valuables, hooking up the boat, guns, etc.

2 hour list- you get the idea.  This was also where adding defensive firefighting methods started happening, if it wasn’t started on the 1 hr list.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's a really solid article on pack selection requirements: Integrated Skills Group (ISG)

I kind of align to their philosophy and purpose for how they perceive the importance of what a back is (or isn't):

So, let’s start out with a quick word on what your backpack is *not*, and then move on to what to look for:

Your backpack is not to hold everything you can imagine. Keep it lean, and remember that weight has a dramatic affect on your mobility and task efficiency. The rule of thumb here is 20-25% at most.
Your backpack isn’t a way to store tools that are required to solve Type I emergencies off your body, unless for specific circumstances. For example, if at all possible, things like your defensive tools, lights, and tools to treat bleeding should be on your body. In the case of Type I emergencies (High intensity, short duration), we rarely have time to go collect those tools and rush them back for a good outcome. Since we can’t *always* be carrying a backpack, but we can *usually* keep an EDC on us, the backpack should expand on the EDC and pick up where it leaves off. If we ditch our pack, we should still have all our EDC items on us.
Your backpack isn’t to live out of indefinitely – but we should pack it in such a way that we address the non-negotiable, prerequisites to staying alive, such as water and shelter. That means having a high quality water filter of a proven design and sufficient supplies to make shelter (to include sleeping equipment).
View Quote

Another excerpt on what they think are important aspects of a backpack:

1.Does the backpack seamless integrated with our EDC/1st line, or does it make accessing those tools difficult/impossible?

If the backpack cripples our ability to access tools we might need for instantaneous emergencies (Type I), we end up with a problem that reduces our options. The goal of selecting a proper backpack is that it should allow you access to all of your equipment worn as a part of your EDC without interruption. For example, is your waist strap covering your CCW? Does your backpack block access to your multi-tool, handgun, or flashlight? If so, do you have a more accessible alternative? How immediately are you likely to need the tools, and how difficult are they to get at when wearing your pack?

2.Does the pack have storage options that allow us to prioritize access?

The pack’s layout is crucial in that we want to be able to access items we use frequently more quickly than those that only get used when you’re setting up a camp, or similar. For example, water is something you’ll need to access throughout the day. Medical equipment isn’t needed often, but when it is, it’s needed quickly. Bedding and shelter construction are typically only needed once you’re stopped for the day. Are there bright internal sections for easy visibility in low light?
We want to lay our pack out to reflect this, and certain designs facilitate this, while others make it more difficult.

3.Does the design keep the backpack and internal equipment secure when moving?

This is a wildly underrepresented aspect of choosing a good pack – you want something that will distribute the weight of your pack as symmetrical as possible, so that the load balances well on your back.
In addition, security applies to the items in and on our backpack as well; for example, it’s really common for good quality packs to have a couple pouches on the side that fit 32oz Nalgene bottles nicely. However, they often don’t have a way to secure the bottles, so if you run, jump, or take a spill, those bottles get banished to the burning nowhere if they’re not dummy-corded on.
The interior and exterior pouches should provide secure access points that provide dummy cording via d-rings or flap pouches that can be secured by Fastex buckles, straps, or even zippers.

The second part of this section is that you don’t want to take a jump and have the backpack trailing behind you by the strap length. More often than not, the way people keep the pack secure is hip belts and sternum straps, which complicate point 1 (as it usually occludes/prevents access to the belt).

4.Is the size sufficient to maintain necessary gear, allow for some addition, and still allow you to move through tight spaces?

Generally those that work best for lightweight bags that can be used equally well around town or in emergencies are between 20-35 liters. However, if you’re in an extremely cold climate, and can’t get away with lightweight shelter/sleeping options, you may need something larger.
Likewise, while we typically want something that’s as comfortable downtown as it is in the woods, if you live in a predominantly urban or rural area, your needs might change to reflect your location.

5.Signature

Signature is a concept that defines how much a backpack makes you stand out. There are a million takes on signature and most pay lip service to neutral colors and clothing that don’t make you look like a tactitard, but like all things, there are fads that just can’t be escaped, and the backpack is probably the least of your concerns, as military style packs have begun to permeate society, from college campuses to rural drifters. In short, not standing out generally means being comfortable and looking natural. If you’re following the tactical industry trends, you’re never going to be ‘gray‘, no matter what backpack you choose.
Here’s the good news: most people really don’t care, and the ones who know are going to spot you either way unless you’re a 65-year-old female librarian.
View Quote

ROCK6

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I can only speak to my personal situation. I was really into the various level of bags in that time frame from bug out to inch. Back then I lived in a tiny apartment in a very urban setting. It made sense to un-ass the area at the first signs of trouble. I was young, single, and most relevant: mobile. Fast forward to today: I find myself having a family, owning a house on rural acreage, and having accumulated resources that significantly shift the calculus towards staying put. And if leaving is required, we are pretty well equipped as is in our vehicles (which speaks to your EDC theory) that we could leave at a moments notice and make it through most things. So to sum up my thoughts, I still see value in a get home (or get to other safe location) bag for my situation, but more long term options like a bug out bag or i'm never coming home bag have become impracticable as my resources and needs have outgrown a man portable system
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#22]
As I've gotten older and am retired now, most of my discretionary spending goes towards hiking gear. Some of that could double as a GHB if needed. My day hiking bag is closer to what we used to call an assault pack in my Army days. I just bought a newer version of the same bag I've used for about three years mainly because they redesigned the bag and brought it out in a ranger green  color I prefer over the old bags sand color....plus I had some discretionary funds available after an aborted thru hike attempt this year.
Unless my village becomes uninhabitable I don't see myself evacuating to become a refugee.
There are always ideas floating around my head that I'd implement if I came into some larger amounts of cash, but I'm pretty happy living simply these days
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bowmanch:

View Quote

For that I took three of my old duffle bags and filled them with an assortment of gear. One bag lives in the garage, one in the shed I used as my FFL location was until last year, and another lives in a closet in my bedroom. The theory is that if the house was to go up in flames it's not likely that all three buildings are going up simultaneously. I can toss the bag in the bedroom out the window if I have only seconds. If I don't even have that time I can at least rely on the two bags not in the house
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top