Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2023 11:36:30 PM EDT
Anyone had any luck using calls to bring hogs in?
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Last call usually brings in all kinds of hogs
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a FoxPro caller with several hog sounds.

I've never had hogs respond and I hunt a very heavily hog populated area.

I've also played the caller with hogs present, zero reaction.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Never even thought about it and I've never heard anyone say they tried.

I can draw in all the hogs within 20 miles using a 5 gallon bucket of rotten deer corn mixed with strawberry soda.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
You have to remember the hogs that run survive the hog’s that stayed to protect their piglets died. I gave it a try several years ago and my experience is they leave. Thirty years ago when we caught hogs and were selling them to the Texans hogs would charge you. Now that doesn’t happen often. Flight instinct is the predominant instinct now. Used to you could wound a piglet and the sow would stay and fight now she’s the first one gone.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
My thoughts exactly. Never tired it, but I didnt think it would work either.   Thanks for saving me some time.  Ok, how about this one…
We have large boar that has been around for 2 years.  All the neighbors have seen him for 2 years now…..only at night.  But NO other hogs. Not a single one for 2 years but him.  There has to be females around, but not a single one seen.  Ideas?
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Texasupton1:
My thoughts exactly. Never tired it, but I didnt think it would work either.   Thanks for saving me some time.  Ok, how about this one…
We have large boar that has been around for 2 years.  All the neighbors have seen him for 2 years now…..only at night.  But NO other hogs. Not a single one for 2 years but him.  There has to be females around, but not a single one seen.  Ideas?
View Quote

Bar pig. Probably caught cut and released.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Cut? As in nuts? Nope you can see them
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Texasupton1:
Cut? As in nuts? Nope you can see them
View Quote

He could have an injury that prevents testosterone. Sometimes I think they get too hot being chased by dogs and it messes up their ability to reproduce and that leads to them acting like a bar pig. Then again he may just be wise like an old buck deer…
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

View Quote

This has been my experience as well, with several different types of pig calls.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

This has been my experience as well, with several different types of pig calls.
View Quote

Personally I think a lot of the videos you see showing hogs running to a call are staged BS for commercial purposes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:30:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cemac] [#11]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

View Quote

I recently had the opposite happen, I spotted a sounder with 40-50 hogs at 700-800 yards, when i turned that caller on, every single hog in that sounder started running in every direction, some in circles and some went completely out of sight, about 15 came within 150 yards and were getting closer, when i started shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top