Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 8:29:54 PM EDT
So I'm finally starting to take prepping seriously and I want to start stock piling things like dry oatmeal, pasta, and rice.

Once you buy it, how do you keep it from going bad? Vaccume sealing? Oxygen absorbers? Storing them in sealed containers?

What's a good resource for the basics?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:41:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Terriblis] [#1]
Mylar bags with O2 absorbers is the standard for home packaging dry goods for long term storage.
Survivalist Boards has a lot of info on food storage.   SurvivalistBoards

I also dry can rice, pasta, oats, etc. in half gallon Mason jars. These leave the contents easy to identify for medium term storage and regular use.

My mylar bags of food in go clear waterproof storage bins and those go on shelfs in the basement.

https://www.target.com/p/ezy-storage-52-8qt-ip67-waterproof-storage-box/-/A-81967134#lnk=sametab

Augason Farms and LDS are a good source for staples that are already canned.
Azure Standard is also supposed to be a good source but I have not ordered from them myself.
Most of the basic dry goods I buy in bulk at Costco and then seal in mylar. Rice, beans, pasta, salt, sugar, oats, lentils. etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Terriblis:
Mylar bags with O2 absorbers is the standard for home packaging dry goods for long term storage.
Survivalist Boards has a lot of info on food storage.   SurvivalistBoards

I also dry can rice, pasta, oats, etc. in half gallon Mason jars. These leave the contents easy to identify for medium term storage and regular use.

My mylar bags of food in go clear waterproof storage bins and those go on shelfs in the basement.

https://www.target.com/p/ezy-storage-52-8qt-ip67-waterproof-storage-box/-/A-81967134#lnk=sametab

Augason Farms and LDS are a good source for staples that are already canned.
Azure Standard is also supposed to be a good source but I have not ordered from them myself.
Most of the basic dry goods I buy in bulk at Costco and then seal in mylar. Rice, beans, pasta, salt, sugar, oats, lentils. etc.
View Quote

When you use mylar bags, do you use a vacuum sealer to suck out all the air?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:34:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Terriblis] [#3]
Originally Posted By Skyler2000:

View Quote

No. I add an appropriately sized O2 absorber and squeeze out as much air as possible. Then use an impulse sealer to seal the mylar bag.
A flat hair iron or a clothes iron and metal yard stick also works for sealing the bags.
But I seal enough mylar that I spent the $35 for a dedicated sealer. This also means I'm not using my wife's hair iron to seal mylar.

Mylar bags do not have the air channels like vacuum bags have.
The air channels are the bumpy texture on one side of the plastic vacuum sealer bags.
Which means that all of the air cannot be sucked out by an external vacuum sealer, like a Food Saver.
Cheaper vacuum sealers do not have a temperature or time controller which means that thicker mylar bags are not going to seal. Higher end ones like the Avid Armor A100 do have adjustable controls and can seal mylar (see YouTube video linked below).

I also have a chamber vac which removes the air then seals the bag. Chamber vacs can be a bit expensive starting at around $300 and going above $1,000 for the larger ones.
An O2 absorber is supposed to be unnecessary when sealing mylar bags this way but I toss one in anyways.
This works for smaller mylar bags.

Here is a picture of rice in 6"x8" mylar bags done in a chamber vac.
I use the small bags for when I want a few cups of food for things like camping trips or when making my own backpacking meals.
Then larger bags, O2 absorbers, and an impulse sealer for bulk food storage.

Attachment Attached File

Can You Seal Mylar Bags On Your A100 Vacuum Sealer? | Avid Armor

Random food storage pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#4]
O2 Absorbers in cleaned out 2 Liter bottles has always worked for me, at least for rice and beans.  Just finished cycling through some 12 year old rice, and it was fine.  If you, or anyone you know, drinks out of 2L, it's a pretty cost effective and easy to stack method too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#5]
We did the gallon sized mylar, O2 absorbers and a heat seal.  Then we stacked the bags in 5 gallon food grade buckets that a local bakery used to donate to us.  I'd write on the bucket what was inside, and with the handle its a nice way to stack, store and transport.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
FPNI, exactly what we do. We do use a vacuum sealer to pull a lot of air out of the bags, but definitely
not all, the rest is done by the O2 absorber.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]

No. I add an appropriately sized O2 absorber and squeeze out as much air as possible. Then use an impulse sealer to seal the mylar bag.
A flat hair iron or a clothes iron and metal yard stick also works for sealing the bags.
But I seal enough mylar that I spent the $35 for a dedicated sealer. This also means I'm not using my wife's hair iron to seal mylar.

The air channels are the bumpy texture on one side of the plastic vacuum sealer bags.
Which means that all of the air cannot be sucked out by an external vacuum sealer, like a Food Saver.
Cheaper vacuum sealers do not have a temperature or time controller which means that thicker mylar bags are not going to seal. Higher end ones like the Avid Armor A100 do have adjustable controls and can seal mylar (see YouTube video linked below).

I also have a chamber vac which removes the air then seals the bag. Chamber vacs can be a bit expensive starting at around $300 and going above $1,000 for the larger ones.
An O2 absorber is supposed to be unnecessary when sealing mylar bags this way but I toss one in anyways.

I use the small bags for when I want a few cups of food for things like camping trips or when making my own backpacking meals.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/551902/20240403_231506_jpg-3177587.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsry1upY9ug

Random food storage pic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/551902/20240403_232438_jpg-3177588.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skyler2000:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/551902/20240403_231506_jpg-3177587.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsry1upY9ug

Random food storage pic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/551902/20240403_232438_jpg-3177588.JPG

i still use my chamber vac on items that don't use an oxygen absorber but have went to oxygen absorber only on everything else

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Gamma Seal is your friend.  Rodent and insect proof.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Riter:
Gamma Seal is your friend.  Rodent and insect proof.
View Quote

Yep. You can get the buckets in 5 gallon or i think 2.5 even for smaller things, and get the gamma seal lids.  Super secure and easy to open and close.

I like to vacuum seal and put in oxygen absorbers and then place into the buckets with the gamma seal lids.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Any links to a good place to buy Mylar bags and O2 absorbers?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
Any links to a good place to buy Mylar bags and O2 absorbers?
View Quote

https://packfreshusa.com/
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Great way to get started; only two tools required:  A check and your pen.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/new-category/food-storage/food-storage/5637169327.c

@Lowdown3 is our resident SME on long term storage of food.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top