Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2023 8:53:45 PM EDT
I know this is a stupid question. But how are you guys utilizing flip up scope covers on you hunting rifles? Are you only keeping them closed during storage and transport? Or do you keep them closed whe hiking in to spots?

I feel like keeping them closed while walking is asking to  miss a shot on a sudden target or forget to open them. Personally I think it would be best to open them as soon as you get out of the truck. But if that is the way they are being used then doesnt a bikini style cover or scope coat work just as well? Is there an advantage to the flip up covers that I am not seeing?

Honestly just trying to see what the standard practice is. I have used all style covers on range guns but not hunting setups.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless it's pouring down rain, generally any time I'm actively hunting the scope covers are off.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You answered your own question if you don’t want to use them as soon as you get out of the pickup.

I only hunt coyotes but I leave mine closed until I get to my spot. A coyote will spot me walking in before I would have a chance to jump and shoot one without knowing he was there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Open in the field, out here that means once you start walking.

600 yards from the tent, but not mine. Guy in my tent.

Attachment Attached File

Mine, all less than 1k yards from the truck.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sometimes we get snow.  A lot of it, and when it is falling and visibility is short, I will pull the glass off this 45/70.  Glass is useless to me in heavy snow and the shot will be close and fast.
Return to zero is close enough for that gun.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#4]
For me it depends.

Deer hunting in the US I flip them open when I get to the stand. In 35 years hunting I have never once jumped a deer walking from the truck or walking down to a stand.

Some years I am sitting on an exposed tripod stand and covers are really handy.

In Africa they are there to protect the scope in transit only. I pull them off when we go verify zero in Day 1. They go back on when I am packing to leave
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The solution is the Blizzard scope cap made by Butler Creek. They are transparent.

When hunting, set the scope to low power and leave the caps "down" and in place.   A shot can very easily be made right thru the cap lenses.  No need to lift the caps if a rushed shot presents itself.  When needed, you can lift the caps...

I find that in extreme cold, a poorly timed breathe can fog you scope.  If the caps are down, you've just fogged the caps.  Roughly line up the shot, inhale, pop the cap, hold your breath, anchor the deer or caribou.  Its worked for me.

I've used the Blizzard caps for roughly 30 years.  I love em
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the idea of using the blizzard covers to mitigate the risk of fogging the scope, unfortunately, I hate the covers themselves.  Maybe someday Leupold will introduce their Alumina covers with windows in them.  A bit of durability would be lost, but the tradeoff would be worth it for some.

As far as my use, the only time both covers are closed in the field is walking into or out of the woods in the dark.  If it's raining or snowing, I'll close the objective cover and leave the ocular open.  It's quick and easy to pop that cover open as I raise the rifle.  In good weather I just leave both open.  Realistically, I'd be fine with just using a cover on the objective, but somehow I always end up putting them on both ends.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I used Butler Creek caps for years then suddenly started breaking them all the time.  I quit buying them.  

The Leupold came with nice caps.  

I leave caps closed when walking.  If it’s nice out I may pull them off entirely.  Nothing to break or making noise when momentarily caught.

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
If I'm out and about, I typical leave the rear cover (Vortex Defender) open and the front closed. I can easily hit the tab on the front cover with my thumb and with no additional other hand movement while my support hand is getting into position.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
I used Butler Creek caps for years then suddenly started breaking them all the time.  I quit buying them.  

The Leupold came with nice caps.  

I leave caps closed when walking.  If it’s nice out I may pull them off entirely.  Nothing to break or making noise when momentarily caught.

View Quote

Leupold Alumina covers on every Leopold I own.
I wish they had a clear option but they're fantastic.
Not exactly cheap though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:

Leupold Alumina covers on every Leopold I own.
I wish they had a clear option but they're fantastic.
Not exactly cheap though.
View Quote

Im trying to get them for every one of the newer leupolds I have, but they have not had them in stick for a while. Or I just keep missing them.

I found them for sale at a retail store but they wanted $120 each. NO WAY!

OP- OH and PA open unless there is rain/snow.  2 Elk hunts in Colorado - Closed until we are on an animal and moving in to try to get a shot.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I do a lot of hunting in the coast range of Oregon. We get some torrential rainstorms during the deer season. When I use the flip up scope covers, it only takes one time to open them & I'm dealing with moisture/steam/fog inside the cap for most of the day. So, I'm not a fan. I do like the simple slip over covers for transport, especially on a quad or the back of my utv, & snowy weather.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 3BP:

Im trying to get them for every one of the newer leupolds I have, but they have not had them in stick for a while. Or I just keep missing them.

I found them for sale at a retail store but they wanted $120 each. NO WAY!

OP- OH and PA open unless there is rain/snow.  2 Elk hunts in Colorado - Closed until we are on an animal and moving in to try to get a shot.

View Quote

You’ve just been missing them probably. I got some from Leopold directly a few months ago. One was backordered and took like a month to ship.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I looked recently and they were back in stock. They were out for a LONG time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#14]
If its dark out I leave the scope caps closed.  When its light out and I'm walking in/out or wherever, I'm hunting so I open the covers.

If its raining or snowing bad, Ill leave them down and hope I dont need a quick shot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know if this is a good answer or not, but I moved away from flip up caps. They aren't faster to get off than a cover, if anything they are slower. The clear caps are a waste of time to me. If it's really raining or snowing, you can't see squat out of the clear covers. You can at least see somewhat through a scope. If I'm carrying the rifle in a sling or tied to the backpack, the cover or caps are on. If it's in my hands, the caps are open or cover off, so no difference. I haven not tried some really high end caps like Aadland engineering. In my experience the Butler and Vortex caps are flimsy trash. They flip open when you don't want, and break if you aren't careful. I'm not sure which covers I like best. Honestly the rubber ones Leupold sends with their scopes are quite useful. My favorite is probably the Scopeshield neoprene though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top