Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2024 2:03:20 PM EDT
These things are god awful . Grow everywhere . Terrible thorns .

Some kinda spray to use ?. I don’t have hours to dig out one bush . Way too many .

I’ve heard that back in the day peeps actually planted them to supplement fences .
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a brush killer spray and a sprayer from your local farm store. There are several brands and they vary in price.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#2]
The wife spends a goodly amount of time and money to get the damn things to grow down here and you tell me they grow wild up there?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R2point0] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
The wife spends a goodly amountt of time and money to get the damn things to grow down here and you tell me they grow wild up there?
View Quote
Texas is a tough place to grow roses. For a lot of the US, Rosa Multiflora was introduced as a wind break and erosion control measure and whoops! it's invasive. The only thing it's good for is providing rootstock for commercial grown roses in the northeast US.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Iowa state flower
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Goats will kill it but they also are hard to keep contained so only do goats if you have good fences.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I rented a house here with them and they never died even after no water for a couple years. Tough bastards.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Remedy- excellent. 2,4 D will work well in the spring when they are tinder.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
If you spray them, just bear in mind that they are going to be dead, brittle thorny SOB's you're still gonna have to remove.

I'd rather remove the branches green while they're not as wicked, then spray the crowns so they don't come back. Then pickaxe the crown out when they're dead and brittle.

Any 2,4D or glyphosate will kill them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15Texan] [#9]
Rabbits seem to eat my rose bushes.  Then the spotted leaf disease takes care of the rest.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:
Rabbits seem to eat my rose bushes.  Then the spotted leaf disease takes care of the rest.
View Quote
Black spot is hard to control, but it can be done. Fungicide plus meticulous housekeeping under the plant. The infected leaves that fall absolutely need to be cleaned up, as they form a reservoir for the fungus and will infect new leaves as they grow out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Goats will kill it but they also are hard to keep contained so only do goats if you have good fences.

View Quote

That's what my neighbor used.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
That stuff is everywhere here too. I've never tried to kill all of it as we have it all over the place. But when I'm mowing the trails or the fields, if I see the stuff off to the side I pretty much always take the time to back the rotary cutter over it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm almost 60 and remember walking the same acerage w my.Grandpa . ( rip )

Hell of a man .
Anyways he carried what he called a.Corn knife . Machete to me .
But any way as we.were.walking he hack at every baby yearling one he saw . (Rosebush .)
Maybe they'd be 12-18 inches tall
Now I know why .

Thanks all . I LL lookin to some 24d .
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Crossbow herbicide, with a surfactant, will kill it.  

If it isn’t too tall, you can back a rotary cutter over it, then spray what comes back.  

I had a small area that was multi flora rose, poison Ivy and autumn olive-the devils salad I called it.  Cutting, spraying and mowing and now it’s a decent grassy area.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Get some triclopyr basal spray.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Most effective means is a shovel to the rootball.....way less effort than the others too
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Saw it down to a stump.

Paint stump with Round Up (glyphosate) concentrate.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Chop it off and tordon the stump.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]
After you’ve wasted money on everything else
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:46:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#22]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Cut and treat...

Cut with a blade on a brush cutter, or a saw. Then treat the stump with a mix of 25% triclopyr, 75% basal oil or diesel fuel (red dyed fuel let's you see what you covered...

This is THE method used by invasive control professionals.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
Cut and treat...

Cut with a blade on a brush cutter, or a saw. Then treat the stump with a mix of 25% triclopyr, 75% basal oil or diesel fuel (red dyed fuel let's you see what you covered...

This is THE method used by invasive control professionals.
View Quote

This is the way except I would start with an 80%-20% mix. I always start at the low manufactures recommended rate and work up to the max on retreating anything that didn’t die the first time. It is almost impossible to get complete coverage on the large bushes the first time. I use the stronger mix the second time to overcome any resistance. Remember to follow the label to cover your butt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#25]
tebuthiuron

But you must be very very careful. It kills everything it touches, and is absorbed by the root system. So you might not put it on a plant, but if it reaches that plants roots, it's game over.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Imazapyr is used for total vegetation control, so it's going to smoke stuff around the undersirable plant AND it's not only has a long residual (meaning its effects are going to remain in the soil) but it also moves easily THROUGH soil to contaminate adjacent areas and water.  

It is a scorched-earth option, and if you don't care about the residual or the contamination of surrounding groundwater, it will almost certainly kill the target pest.

I would much rather use something that does not have so much potential for collateral damage.

ETA:  OP, if you choose to use Imazapyr, there are generics for a lot less money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
After you’ve wasted money on everything else
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443141/IMG_0621_jpeg-3189684.JPG

Imazapyr is used for total vegetation control, so it's going to smoke stuff around the undersirable plant AND it's not only has a long residual (meaning its effects are going to remain in the soil) but it also moves easily THROUGH soil to contaminate adjacent areas and water.  

It is a scorched-earth option, and if you don't care about the residual or the contamination of surrounding groundwater, it will almost certainly kill the target pest.

I would much rather use something that does not have so much potential for collateral damage.

ETA:  OP, if you choose to use Imazapyr, there are generics for a lot less money.

I don't care for herbicides like that, most of them are extremely toxic to fish. Living on a hill above the lake and streams make me more aware of potential problems from runoff. Plus drawing my water from a well leads me to research groundwater contamination possibilities.  Weeds are a pain in the ass to deal with but I don't want to risk poisoning myself or all the critters because of them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Pramitol mixed 50/50 with diesel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

View Quote
A single wire electric fence will keep goats in.  After a few months, you just need the fence without any power.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#29]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#31]

So there is another option...it's Tordon (Active ingredient Picloram).

It's "non-toxic"--to a LOT more things than some of the chems listed by folks here (including me).  It's a "paint-on" herbicide.  Basically cut the plant down, paint this on the cut, and the pest is GOING TO DIE.  

The positive is that you aren't going to hit stuff around it, because it's so targeted (like a basal bark spray--both treating cut surfaces and basal spray are excellent choices) EXCEPT...

And this is the big "except"--if you've got a big tree right next to your pest plant, and the roots of the rose have even *thought about* root graftting with the tree, you're going to kill the big tree.   Tordon is capable of killing plants with roots that are close to the target.

This is not quite as big hairy scary as it sounds, but you need to be aware of it.

I use Tordon a lot. I just use it really carefully.   And I don't put it on targets that are within the main dripline of a tree I care about.

Anything that you "spray" on the entire plant, is going to be more likely to leach into ground water, run off, and kill non-target pests around the rose.

Painting it on the cut is going to to keep it WITHIN the target plant (or within the roots it crosses to, per my caution above) and out of the soil.  You also use a smaller quantity of the pesticide, and it is not dispersed in air.  Small drops, dispersed all over the place, are the worst option for pesticides *usually*.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

I don't care for herbicides like that, most of them are extremely toxic to fish. Living on a hill above the lake and streams make me more aware of potential problems from runoff. Plus drawing my water from a well leads me to research groundwater contamination possibilities.  Weeds are a pain in the ass to deal with but I don't want to risk poisoning myself or all the critters because of them.

So there is another option...it's Tordon (Active ingredient Picloram).

It's "non-toxic"--to a LOT more things than some of the chems listed by folks here (including me).  It's a "paint-on" herbicide.  Basically cut the plant down, paint this on the cut, and the pest is GOING TO DIE.  

The positive is that you aren't going to hit stuff around it, because it's so targeted (like a basal bark spray--both treating cut surfaces and basal spray are excellent choices) EXCEPT...

And this is the big "except"--if you've got a big tree right next to your pest plant, and the roots of the rose have even *thought about* root graftting with the tree, you're going to kill the big tree.   Tordon is capable of killing plants with roots that are close to the target.

This is not quite as big hairy scary as it sounds, but you need to be aware of it.

I use Tordon a lot. I just use it really carefully.   And I don't put it on targets that are within the main dripline of a tree I care about.

Anything that you "spray" on the entire plant, is going to be more likely to leach into ground water, run off, and kill non-target pests around the rose.

Painting it on the cut is going to to keep it WITHIN the target plant (or within the roots it crosses to, per my caution above) and out of the soil.  You also use a smaller quantity of the pesticide, and it is not dispersed in air.  Small drops, dispersed all over the place, are the worst option for pesticides *usually*.

Good to know, thanks. I've heard of Tordon but never used it unless it's available in another name. Some pesky privet that kept coming back I treated the stump after a fresh cut with something I bought at Tractor Supply that did the trick, I can't remember what it was called though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top