Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2022 2:58:29 PM EDT
I absolutely love the 308 and I really want to kill a bull elk.  Assuming my 308 groups well with it, is the Hornady superformance 150 or 165 GMX reasonable out to 400?  Box claims 3000fps on the 150.

I wouldn't hesitate inside 200, its the longer shots that concern me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
My only experience with Elk was at ~305 yards with a 300 WSM. It did the job, and (this is key) the animal dropped within 20 yards of where it was hit. The bullet I used (Fed. Trophy Bonded 180 grain) was recovered and it did a superb job. Regarding 308, I'd strongly recommend staying away from 150s...look at something more viable like the Federal Trophy Bonded 165 grain. (Hornady has a similar but slightly heavier load in their ELDX line). Elk are tough animals...and bullet construction is everything! As for me, I'd also limit my shots with a 308 to around 300 yards (FWIW I brought a Kimber M84 in 308 as my back-up gun).

Good luck!

dh

PS...Whatever you bring, be prepared to fire several follow-up shots if needed (lots of times they are based discussions with guides over multiple years of elk hunting).
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
My uncle killed elk for years with a 30-30 AI and 170 gr flatpoints.   I would suggest the heavier bullet just to be on the safe side, but it'll work fine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dan_h:
My only experience with Elk was at ~305 yards with a 300 WSM. It did the job, and (this is key) the animal dropped within 20 yards of where it was hit. The bullet I used (Fed. Trophy Bonded 180 grain) was recovered and it did a superb job. Regarding 308, I'd strongly recommend staying away from 150s...look at something more viable like the Federal Trophy Bonded 165 grain. (Hornady has a similar but slightly heavier load in their ELDX line). Elk are tough animals...and bullet construction is everything! As for me, I'd also limit my shots with a 308 to around 300 yards (FWIW I brought a Kimber M84 in 308 as my back-up gun).

Good luck!

dh

PS...Whatever you bring, be prepared to fire several follow-up shots if needed (lots of times they are based discussions with guides over multiple years of elk hunting).
View Quote

Good advice here, expect I would say you are fine at 400yrd. As long as you practice and know your drops.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
My one experience with elk involved a 325 yard shot that I took quartering away.  Hit him back near the liver.  He did not even react to the shot.  300WSM.  I was lining up for a second shot when my buddy's 7Mag blew his heart up
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:26:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#5]
I’ve killed 2 bulls with a 16” .308.  That velocity sounds suspect though.

I load 165 gr accubonds to 2600, and that is near max charge.  I guess a long bbl gun would do better, but those elk never moved more than 10’.
Close range tho, 40 and 80 yards.

This was the only bullet recovered.  Smashed through one shoulder and was under the hide on the far side.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]
300 fps on a 150 still seems high.  I think they are closer to 2800 in the 165.  Kinda close to 30-06 in both cases if I remember right.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Your 308 is fine. Double check the ballistics and confirm them. Put the bullet in the lungs/heart and they will die. Be selective and patient and take high percentage shots. You’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
Your 308 is fine. Double check the ballistics and confirm them. Put the bullet in the lungs/heart and they will die. Be selective and patient and take high percentage shots. You’ll be fine.
View Quote

Yep, .308 should be just fine within those parameters. Know your dope, be able to read the wind, take your time, and practice.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
I’ve killed 2 bulls with a 16” .308.  That velocity sounds suspect though.

I load 165 gr accubonds to 2600, and that is near max charge.  I guess a long bbl gun would do better, but those elk never moved more than 10’.
Close range tho, 40 and 80 yards.

This was the only bullet recovered.  Smashed through one shoulder and was under the hide on the far side.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/A90EF88F-2BEC-4C2A-B066-8C5BAC0B159A_jpe-2586575.JPG
View Quote

I have always liked how the accubonds shoot and perform on target. I may even use a 308 on my elk hunt next year!
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
OP I went on my first elk hunt this year and was successful.  I'm going to post the pic because I'm still happy about it:

The distance was later ranged at 220 yards so not far and basically where I sighted it in at.  308, 150 grain Federal Power-Shok ammo.  One hit, ran the bolt, saw a spike that was standing with this bull run down a hill, and then didn't see the one I shot anymore.  

Humped it up to the spot I shot and lo and behold he went about 15 yards and dropped dead behind a downed tree (to the left and not in my photo) on this timbered land.  Shot placement was just behind the shoulders.  Bullet expanded and did not exit the animal.  Missed the heart, shredded the lungs, and that was that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:34:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ggibbs] [#11]
Originally Posted By -Sabot42-:
I absolutely love the 308 and I really want to kill a bull elk.  Assuming my 308 groups well with it, is the Hornady superformance 150 or 165 GMX reasonable out to 400?  Box claims 3000fps on the 150.

View Quote

I've only killed four bulls (and been present on the killing of two others); one with a 7x57 and three (and two) with a 35 Whelen, so my experience is limited.

Note the almost lack of expansion at 2000 fps.

If I were in your shoes using my .308 for elk and I weren't a handloader, I'd find a factory load with a 165 gr. Nosler Partition. The Nosler Partition is a nice blend of penetration and expansion. The bonded bullets are nice, but their wide frontal area after expansion limits penetration which could be a problem on shots other than broadside on something as large as a bull elk.

Another to consider is the Barnes TSX which they claim expands down to 1700 fps. One of the bulls I shot with my Whelen was taken at 360 yds. and the bullet was a 225 gr. TSX with a MV of about 2650 fps. The bullet penetrated completely on a slightly angled shot and would've impacted at around 1850 fps. While I didn't recover the bullet, expansion was obvious when the wound track was examined.

More important than your bullet and load is hitting them in the right spot. Nothing lives very long with a hole through their lungs. Also make sure, doubly sure you fire your rifle at 300 and 400 yds. from field positions. Talking about shooting game at these ranges is easy, dealing with gravity and wind are another matter entriely.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#12]
At 400 you need to pay attention mostly to how that bullet performs at impact velocity and how much impact velocity it’ll have. I wouldn’t want to use a low BC copper solid. A high BC copper solid or a high BC cup and core, sure.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 3:02:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: renegade509] [#13]
Originally Posted By ggibbs:

I've only killed four bulls (and been present on the killing of two others); one with a 7x57 and three (and two) with a 35 Whelen, so my experience is limited.

https://i.imgur.com/fdPLZmPl.jpg

If I were in your shoes using my .308 for elk and I weren't a handloader, I'd find a factory load with a 165 gr. Nosler Partition. The Nosler Partition is a nice blend of penetration and expansion. The bonded bullets are nice, but their wide frontal area after expansion limits penetration which could be a problem on shots other than broadside on something as large as a bull elk.

Another to consider is the Barnes TSX which they claim expands down to 1700 fps. One of the bulls I shot with my Whelen was taken at 360 yds. and the bullet was a 225 gr. TSX with a MV of about 2650 fps. The bullet penetrated completely on a slightly angled shot and would've impacted at around 1850 fps. While I didn't recover the bullet, expansion was obvious when the wound track was examined.

More important than your bullet and load is hitting them in the right spot. Nothing lives very long with a hole through their lungs. Also make sure, doubly sure you fire your rifle at 300 and 400 yds. from field positions. Talking about shooting game at these ranges is easy, dealing with gravity and wind are another matter entriely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ggibbs:
Originally Posted By -Sabot42-:

https://i.imgur.com/fdPLZmPl.jpg

I will second this recommendation for the Nosler Partition.  

.308 at 300-400 yards isn’t going to have the velocity needed to get good expansion with monolithic or heavy bonded bullets.

The Nosler Partition is my favorite hunting bullet.  They expand easily and have excellent penetration.  Work well on both deer and elk.

The only downside to them is that they don’t have the BC of bullets the the Accubond or ELD-X.  So not the best choice for really long range.

I never shoot game beyond 350-400 yards, so this isn’t an issue for me.  Within 400 yards or less, the lack of a really high BC bullet isn’t really a concern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top