Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2024 5:16:31 PM EDT
I placed my deposit to go and hunt South Africa for April 2025! THe culmination of a 15 year long dream is gonna happen.

My package includes 7 days with a Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Impala, and Warthog. I may add a Kudu but have plenty of time.

SO DAMN EXCITED!!!!

I will update as I go and cant wait to post a hunting report when done.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone once wrote that the average age of such hunters was fifty.  Before that you can't afford it and after that you're too old.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That's awesome! What are you taking for a rifle(s)?
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Please add the kudu and tag me in the thread. I will live vicariously through you because there is no shot I will ever make it there
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Seven days is a good stretch. Save as much money as you can before going because there will be opportunities you never expect once you get there.

I had six hunting days and ended up with oryx, springbok, black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, blesbok, kudu and giraffe. I still would have had time for more if I'd had the money. Waterbuck, impala, roan, sable, zebra, warthogs and hartebeest were there for the taking. We saw plenty of ostrich but instead of shooting one we scavenged a lone ostrich egg and ate that. It was good.

FWIW the zebra in our area were very skittish. We never saw any baboons but it was made clear to me it was "weapons free" on baboons and I would not be charged a penny for any I could kill. They hated them. They didn't even care if I made clean kills on them. They really hated them.

My giraffe was not part of the original plan and turned out to be the hunt of a lifetime. Be prepared for opportunity.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Code_Name_Eric:
That's awesome! What are you taking for a rifle(s)?
View Quote

Right now I am thinking a CZ600 Lux with a 2.5-8 scope should do most of what I want. I was thinking of bringing a 6.5PRC also.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
What caliber?

FWIW most of my shooting was done at 6X. It just provided the sight picture I was most comfortable with.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sumo6:
Seven days is a good stretch. Save as much money as you can before going because there will be opportunities you never expect once you get there.

I had six hunting days and ended up with oryx, springbok, black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, blesbok, kudu and giraffe. I still would have had time for more if I'd had the money. Waterbuck, impala, roan, sable, zebra, warthogs and hartebeest were there for the taking. We saw plenty of ostrich but instead of shooting one we scavenged a lone ostrich egg and ate that. It was good.

FWIW the zebra in our area were very skittish. We never saw any baboons but it was made clear to me it was "weapons free" on baboons and I would not be charged a penny for any I could kill. They hated them. They didn't even care if I made clean kills on them. They really hated them.

My giraffe was not part of the original plan and turned out to be the hunt of a lifetime. Be prepared for opportunity.

View Quote

The outfitter I am going with is one that the president of my local SCI chapter and a number of members have been on before so I have faith the outfitter will continue to be good. The package included the four animals but I am definitely saving up for more targets of opportunity.

Though, I do find myself now thank you but any purchases in terms of animals. Such as a kudu would be a set of NVG.

But I do plan to go back in a few years after that with my son who will be 15 or 16 at the time and have a family trip .

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sumo6:
What caliber?

FWIW most of my shooting was done at 6X. It just provided the sight picture I was most comfortable with.
View Quote

.30-06 with 180gr copper TTSX

I like my rounds old, fat, and slow like me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

The bottom rifle was what I took. CZ 550 in 9.3x62.

Attachment Attached File

I was at Gordy and Sons this week and really want that rifle second from bottom.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:34:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hasher1] [#10]
Add the Kudu trust me.

Thy rifle and bullet combo is perfect. Zero at 200 yds and verify when you get there.  

Take as much extra money as you can because great targets of opportunity pop up sometimes.

For example I got to do some culling once.

On my first safari my very first animal was a Bushbuck. We literally tripped over him while taking a quick familiarization drive after zeroing the rifles.

Later in the safari we saw a monster bushbuck so I took him as well.

My first safari was s14 1/2 hunting days and 1/2 a day refereeing a rugby game. I shot a total of 17 animals.  15 trophies and 2 for camp meat.

An eland is a magnificent trophy as well. So is a waterbuck.

Go live the dream.  And be sure to tell us about it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations! Look forward to hearing about it!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll be kicking yourself when you get back if you don't take more than those 4 animals, I did after my first trip and I took 7. For what it costs to get there plus the daily fees a few more successful hunts gives you more memories than the money you think you'll be saving is worth.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
You'll be kicking yourself when you get back if you don't take more than those 4 animals, I did after my first trip and I took 7. For what it costs to get there plus the daily fees a few more successful hunts gives you more memories than the money you think you'll be saving is worth.
View Quote

From reading all the testimonials of how awesome the experience is, it also sounds like you're guaranteed to kill what you're after.

Is that accurate?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Africa is pretty much that way on the common game.

On my first safari I had 14 hunting days (plus one day refereeing rugby in Rustenberg).

I had 16 animals on my list. I got 15 of them and had to leave the Black Wildebeast off because I shot a second Bushbuck. I also got to shoot a couple of cull animals for meats for the lodge and a pair of Impala that had deformities and he didn’t want them breeding.

Some animals are ridicoeasy such as a Blesbuck.

Other s like the Kudu, Bushbuck and Eland can be. Very difficult.

Not going to lie both of my Bushbucks were easy. The first day we had sighted in the rifles and we were driving around to let me get acquainted with the area and the animals and were going to head to lunch. We just saw him in a treeline and kept going so as not to spoil him. We drove several hundred yards past. Walked back using the road. Moved into the treeline and stalked a couple of hundred yards. He was still there browsing so we put up the sticks and shot him. I know people who have done 4 safaris to get one.

My Kudu who eventually went 56” we started out at about 430 am drove about 30 minutes over rough 2 track and then stalked in toward a huge watering hole thw PH wanted to sit over at daybreak. We say dozens of animals including several nice Kudu. To my PH none were good enough. We struck out there and hiked through several areas and about 130 after a nice lunch we had packed with us we spotted my Kudu. We took over an hour to get into position and I i promptly put my shot into his liver.  We tracked him for almost 4 hours in a great circle before we found him dead less than 200 yards from where we started.

The next evening we had both Kudu Carpicao as an appetizer as well as his Filets for the main course.

My Eland we hunted for 5 days and got busted by them numerous times. I probably walked between 50-60 miles. I cannot even put a number to the stalks we made. He is one of my favorite trophies.

I also know folks who have seen a heard of eland or so w other hard to hunt animal and put a stalk on them and 30 min later had one down.

The quantities of game are incredible. When I hunted in the Karoo for the Springbok slam I saw numerous herds in hundreds and several more over 1000. With the open terrain there you still have to get into a good position to make a shot.

Iff all goes well I am headed to Tanzania in 25 for my lifetime dream hunt.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Hasher1:
Africa is pretty much that way on the common game.

On my first safari I had 14 hunting days (plus one day refereeing rugby in Rustenberg).

I had 16 animals on my list. I got 15 of them and had to leave the Black Wildebeast off because I shot a second Bushbuck. I also got to shoot a couple of cull animals for meats for the lodge and a pair of Impala that had deformities and he didn’t want them breeding.

Some animals are ridicoeasy such as a Blesbuck.

Other s like the Kudu, Bushbuck and Eland can be. Very difficult.

Not going to lie both of my Bushbucks were easy. The first day we had sighted in the rifles and we were driving around to let me get acquainted with the area and the animals and were going to head to lunch. We just saw him in a treeline and kept going so as not to spoil him. We drove several hundred yards past. Walked back using the road. Moved into the treeline and stalked a couple of hundred yards. He was still there browsing so we put up the sticks and shot him. I know people who have done 4 safaris to get one.

My Kudu who eventually went 56” we started out at about 430 am drove about 30 minutes over rough 2 track and then stalked in toward a huge watering hole thw PH wanted to sit over at daybreak. We say dozens of animals including several nice Kudu. To my PH none were good enough. We struck out there and hiked through several areas and about 130 after a nice lunch we had packed with us we spotted my Kudu. We took over an hour to get into position and I i promptly put my shot into his liver.  We tracked him for almost 4 hours in a great circle before we found him dead less than 200 yards from where we started.

The next evening we had both Kudu Carpicao as an appetizer as well as his Filets for the main course.

My Eland we hunted for 5 days and got busted by them numerous times. I probably walked between 50-60 miles. I cannot even put a number to the stalks we made. He is one of my favorite trophies.

I also know folks who have seen a heard of eland or so w other hard to hunt animal and put a stalk on them and 30 min later had one down.

The quantities of game are incredible. When I hunted in the Karoo for the Springbok slam I saw numerous herds in hundreds and several more over 1000. With the open terrain there you still have to get into a good position to make a shot.

Iff all goes well I am headed to Tanzania in 25 for my lifetime dream hunt.
View Quote

Great read.

Almost gives me the wants for that experience.  Too much I need to experience here in the US yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I said the exact same thing.

I could have done my first Safari at age 31.

There was always another rifle or 3 to buy, another elk hunt to take.

I waited 13 more years before my first one and the prices just kept going up.

Wish I could get a do over on those decisions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

From reading all the testimonials of how awesome the experience is, it also sounds like you're guaranteed to kill what you're after.

Is that accurate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

Is that accurate?

There are no guarantees but the success rate is very high. Common animals are abundant but there are trophies of each species. If you just want an impala, for example, you will have no problem finding one. If you want one that qualifies for an SCI or Rowland Ward acknowledgement you may or may not be successful.

I've yet to take an eland, the last sub-Saharan spiral horn on my list. I have passed on several that weren't anything special knowing that it costs the same to take a trophy as it does a lesser animal. We chased eland for 4 days in Zimbabwe once, they run more than Forest Gump once they get started, only to get close enough to put good glass on them and realize there wasn't a shooter in the bunch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top