Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2024 12:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB]
Almost 2 years ago we bought a new place on some land. The property had a manufactured home and a shed we dubbed the "meth shack" with a well room in it.

3 days after we moved in, the well went down, and I had to pull off the roofing metal and cut a hole into the well room, so the pump could be replaced. We were kind of up in the air on what to do with the shed, but had a pretty good idea we wanted to tear it out and build a new one.

What started off as a "summer project" is still on going (to my wifes delight) and the scope of it changed quite a bit from the original design.

Meth shack:
Attachment Attached File

Torn down:
Attachment Attached File

After we tore it down, we liked how much more open space there was by the house, and decided to move the location... and make it bigger.

Original design was a 20x20 building, with 10x10 being an open patio area. After picking the new location, that grew to a 20x30 building with an open 10x20 patio area at one end.

Did some footing sizing before digging holes:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:52:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#1]
Used an 18" auger on the back of a tractor to drill out holes. The center post for the interior part was quite a bit larger, so I drilled 4 holes for it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After the holes were drilled I used a shovel and breaker bar to open the base of the holes up to the needed size. The middle hole I squared off.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah!

That is looking like quite the project!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
No pictures of the footings, but I tamped in 4 inches of gravel and then put in 6 inches of concrete reinforced with rebar. The center hole got 2 layers of concrete, one at 3x3, and one at 2x2.

All of the internal posts are treated. The center ones are 6x6 and the outer ones are 4x6:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also have 3 poured footings that 8x8 posts will mount to for the patio area:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
With the internal posts set, the next step was to put up the wall girts... oh, did I mention I'm also milling the majority of this wood from trees I'm clearing from the property?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I put bookshelf girts on everything but one corner, where the new well room/pantry will go:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Shade of "Andy's Little Homestead "!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
After getting the posts and beams milled:
Attachment Attached File

I set the patio posts:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:04:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#7]
With all posts up, next step was the beams!

I used an excavator to set the beams... also found out the swivel lock on the excavator didn't work, so if it wasn't level, the arm would start to rotate.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After making a bad cut on one of the beams, I decided to square up one end, and wait to cut the other end until everything was set (center beams i just triple checked before making both cuts):
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Needed to make repairs on the beam with the bad cut by gluing an extension on it and using a bunch of structural screws. I also added an angle support.
Attachment Attached File

After that, I put up the rafters:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#9]
For the roof decking, I used 1x6 boards:
Attachment Attached File

Had a very heavy frost one night that didn't melt off. I wasn't able to walk on that side of the roof at all while I did the decking on the other side:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#10]
That frost made it VERY difficult when it came time to tarp the roof... so I did what I could from the one side, and from the ground:
Attachment Attached File

The plan is to put a metal roof on the shed at the same time we put a new roof on the house... which should happen this spring/summer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:31:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chadnutz] [#11]
At what point in this project did the 5065E become FWA and get a loader?

Just kidding...  Do you have two tractors of the same model?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chadnutz:
At what point in this project did the 5065E become FWA and get a loader?

Just kidding...  Do you have two tractors of the same model?
View Quote

The tractors are borrowed from my parents. They're about a mile and a half down the road. They've got 2 5065's without loaders for pulling hay implements, and one with a loader.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:41:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#13]
With the roof temped up for the winter, I framed in the doorway:
Attachment Attached File

Framed in the pantry/well room floor:
Attachment Attached File

And framed in the rest of the pantry/well room:
Attachment Attached File

Besides the treated posts, this is the only place I used store bought lumber. I insulated and sealed this room, and didn't have time to let the wood dry.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Our temp carport ended up collapsing after a heavy snow followed by a windstorm, so I got to spend a night moving everything into the shed... without walls, it's not ideal... so I got started on the siding from the windward side.
Put up tyvek first to try and keep this thing as waterproof as possible:
Attachment Attached File

Followed up by 1x6 boards:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And I'm currently putting up the battens/trim:
Attachment Attached File

I have enough wood milled to finish up this side, but the ground has become to soft to pull logs out and drop them on the mill... so my next steps are going to be using the old firewood tarps to use as temp siding (meth shack 2.0!) until the ground firms back up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Fantastic thread, the meth shed is transforming into a classy joint!  
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PalmettoState:
Fantastic thread, the meth shed is transforming into a classy joint!  
View Quote

Meth shack to a meth mansion
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

Meth shack to a meth mansion
View Quote

@BMSMB
Thats a hell of a nice meth mansion. I miss that part of Idaho - custom milled lumber for projects and board and batt for siding

Are you building a separate wellhouse ?  did you replace the downpipe with something more user friendly than pulling the roof apart if you have to pull it again?

I used wellhose when I replaced the pump at my last house, it was reasonably priced then (its gone up) but I wanted to be able to pull the pump by myself without a lot of hassle if I had to do any work on it again. I'm sure you could source a potable water flat hose and fittings for a lot cheaper than buying directly from wellhose.

https://wellhose.com/

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NWRed:

@BMSMB
Thats a hell of a nice meth mansion. I miss that part of Idaho - custom milled lumber for projects and board and batt for siding

Are you building a separate wellhouse ?  did you replace the downpipe with something more user friendly than pulling the roof apart if you have to pull it again?

I used wellhose when I replaced the pump at my last house, it was reasonably priced then (its gone up) but I wanted to be able to pull the pump by myself without a lot of hassle if I had to do any work on it again. I'm sure you could source a potable water flat hose and fittings for a lot cheaper than buying directly from wellhose.

https://wellhose.com/

View Quote

The pressure tank (and new filters/manifold system) will get moved into the shed. The existing well room will get torn down after that, and I'll insulate a wine/whiskey barrel or build a small doghouse with an insulated portion for the wellhead that will make it easily accessible.

The pipe comes out of the wellhead above ground, so I have to keep it insulated/heated
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#20]

The pressure tank (and new filters/manifold system) will get moved into the shed. The existing well room will get torn down after that, and I'll insulate a wine/whiskey barrel or build a small doghouse with an insulated portion for the wellhead that will make it easily accessible.

The pipe comes out of the wellhead above ground, so I have to keep it insulated/heated
View Quote

Real heat or just a halogen work light in an insulated doghouse?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By NWRed:

Real heat or just a halogen work light in an insulated doghouse?
View Quote

I'll probably just wrap the pipe and wellhead with heat tape, then insulate the ground and whatever covering I end up going with.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Sweet
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#24]
You are an industrious little mammal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
You are an industrious little mammal.
View Quote

It helps when I know my labor is "free"
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Much respect.  Just out of curiosity, where did you learn to do something like this?  And thanks for the pictures and the accompanying narrative.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:
Much respect.  Just out of curiosity, where did you learn to do something like this?  And thanks for the pictures and the accompanying narrative.
View Quote

Youtube/Google mainly. I watched/helped my dad do some construction while younger, but nothing like this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Youtube/Google mainly. I watched/helped my dad do some construction while younger, but nothing like this.
View Quote

Well done!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#29]
All of the batten is installed on this side
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Awesome job...lol, I'll have to post about my shed extension....it's going to be very methy
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bansil:

Awesome job...lol, I'll have to post about my shed extension....it's going to be very methy
View Quote

The other 3 sides are currently built with used tarps from old wood piles... I might post a picture of it at some point as a thread bump until I'm able to make more progress!
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#34]
do it so it doesn't archive! Your work looks great, at times I wish I was 30 years younger again with the skills I have now...the body didn't keep up I can blame part of it on M1A1 Tanks and 180 pound Alpacas the wife wanted
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#35]
That looks really nice OP.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
That looks really nice OP.
View Quote

Thank you! It has surprisingly been a lot more work than expected. To many times I've thought one aspect of it would go by really fast... and then it would take forever
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Bump for a great thread, thanks OP, the detailed pics of the process is very helpful, will be doing some building myself as soon as it warms up a bit more here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Mine is age and post-covid lack of energy, two years later.

Kinda coming back to life (hope it holds this season) but as a result, our entire property has become very "methy."

That's a new term I'll start using from now on.

I do wonder, if I put a Little Free Library down near the road, if I would have any takers.

Maybe I could build it to look all ramshackle, with a tarp on one side, just to match.
View Quote

Methy I know that look , for us its been a farm since 1970, I moved here in 1999 and her dad didn't throw anything away he passed in 2017 so 50 years of stuff...you never know when you'll need it

Hyjack off

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Good thread OP! Love to see more!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Ok, in the meantime, I'll share another project that I threw together last spring.
It was a "temporary" shelter for the goats... only expecting a few years of life out of it, so im wasn't to worried about using treated posts. It was built using peeler cores for the framing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#44]
I've been working on fencing in a yard by the house as well. It's going to be made of field fencing, so I put together H braces.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I love the style your putting in each PC of your homestead puzzle
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#47]
WOW!! Great Job buddy! Both of the structures look incredible! Subscribed for more!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Good job!  I enjoy projects like this, as long as I'm not the one paying for them
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice work, sir.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:44:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#50]
Thanks everyone!

Have the posts installed on the longer yard fence line now.
Attachment Attached File

Have 5 more to still install on other sides before I can start putting up the fencing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top