Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2023 2:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIDeerHunter]
If anyone is looking for a very reasonably priced cow elk hunt, this is where I went the last 2 years.  All of us got cows and had a great time.  
Tag is $950 and guide fee is around $450.  Includes the guide boning out the elk for easy transport home.  I can recommend a great guide.  
https://www.jicarillahunt.com/

Bull hunts are over $7000 plus guide fee but they don't let you shoot anything under 320" so it's more of a trophy bull hunt.  We saw a ~400" bull (magazine cover size!) while cow hunting.  

We aren't going this year as I booked a whitetail hunt in the midwest but will go the following year.

I'm not on this site every day so feel free to email me if I can help with questions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks man!.  Great resource.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice! That is a great price for a cow hunt.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]
NM cow elk hunting is a great way to fill your freezer and learn about elk habits at the same time!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Hunted with them 3 years ago. Great guys. Still keep in touch with my guide.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. Passed this on to a friend.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Looking at this now. How far in advance do you have to start the process? How much are the other fees like processing the elk? What other expenses should one expect? What are the accommodations like, camping? Lodge? Other? What type of hunting would it be? A stand, stalking, something else?
@WIDeerHunter
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
A couple guys have PM'd me asking for more info so thought I'd share here:
The guide's official fee was $450 per person.  I gave him $550 plus a bottle of whiskey and I'm pretty sure the other 2 guys did the same.  There were 3 of us hunting together.  Got 2 cows the 1st day and the last cow the morning of the 3rd day.  The guides have everything scouted ahead of time and know the land like the back of their hand.  Guide fee includes the guide deboning the elk.  In Dulce, the tribe has a skinning/deboning facility with walk in coolers/freezers you can leave your meat in until you leave.  It was a blast hanging out at the skinning shack seeing the other elk and mule deer that were coming in all day and night.  The success rate for cows has got to be over 90%.  We took shots of 150-550 yards.  The guide has range finder along with a tripod.  

If you get tags for the south, then we stayed in Cuba at a motel. For Horse Lake, probably Chama.  The guide will say for sure as he will pick you up at the motel.  

Horse Lake is amazing.  I'd say this would be the order:  horse lake, res, and south but any of them would be cool.  The hunt dates were more important to me.  

If you are on facebook, check out the Bucks of the Jicarilla page.  The guides that I've used basically run that page.  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100048607457560

This the site that has the information and application.  
https://jicarillahunt.com/hunting
You can submit a group application if there is more than 1 of you.  

Basically you submit application and they will call you after the drawing with your results.  There are 3 different areas.  Horse Lake Mesa is a high fenced game preserve but don't let the notion of a fence scare you off.  They basically high fenced an entire freaking mountain.  It's awesome.  I've hunted there and in the south area.  There are lots of oil pumps all over the res so the guide basically drives you around the dirt trails used to service the pumps in order to scout the elk.  If you are mobility impaired you can shoot the elk from using the hood of the truck or jump out of the truck to try and jog to cut off the herd.  Basically the guide can tailor the hunt to what you can handle physically.  Happy to provide guide references but here is the official list:   https://jicarillahunt.com/uploads/file_1701119468.pdf
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WIDeerHunter:
A couple guys have PM'd me asking for more info so thought I'd share here:
The guide's official fee was $450 per person.  I gave him $550 plus a bottle of whiskey and I'm pretty sure the other 2 guys did the same.  There were 3 of us hunting together.  Got 2 cows the 1st day and the last cow the morning of the 3rd day.  The guides have everything scouted ahead of time and know the land like the back of their hand.  Guide fee includes the guide deboning the elk.  In Dulce, the tribe has a skinning/deboning facility with walk in coolers/freezers you can leave your meat in until you leave.  It was a blast hanging out at the skinning shack seeing the other elk and mule deer that were coming in all day and night.  The success rate for cows has got to be over 90%.  We took shots of 150-550 yards.  The guide has range finder along with a tripod.  

If you get tags for the south, then we stayed in Cuba at a motel. For Horse Lake, probably Chama.  The guide will say for sure as he will pick you up at the motel.  

Horse Lake is amazing.  I'd say this would be the order:  horse lake, res, and south but any of them would be cool.  The hunt dates were more important to me.  

If you are on facebook, check out the Bucks of the Jicarilla page.  The guides that I've used basically run that page.  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100048607457560

This the site that has the information and application.  
https://jicarillahunt.com/hunting
You can submit a group application if there is more than 1 of you.  

Basically you submit application and they will call you after the drawing with your results.  There are 3 different areas.  Horse Lake Mesa is a high fenced game preserve but don't let the notion of a fence scare you off.  They basically high fenced an entire freaking mountain.  It's awesome.  I've hunted there and in the south area.  There are lots of oil pumps all over the res so the guide basically drives you around the dirt trails used to service the pumps in order to scout the elk.  If you are mobility impaired you can shoot the elk from using the hood of the truck or jump out of the truck to try and jog to cut off the herd.  Basically the guide can tailor the hunt to what you can handle physically.  Happy to provide guide references but here is the official list:   https://jicarillahunt.com/uploads/file_1701119468.pdf
View Quote

Thats a lot of fantastic info. I dont have anything to add except that you mentioned Chama. I have been there doing some winter fishing and it is a beautiful place. I would love to back to that region and do some elk hunting. I stayed in little motel that was about $100 a night and was nice enough. But everyone has different hotel standards. If it helps someone arrange a trip i can find the name.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting.  - OST
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have the name of a good guide there?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top