Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2024 4:57:36 PM EDT
I debated if I should post this information as I don't want AR15 members to stop watching my videos. However, this was circulating around Facebook, so I decided to post it here as well.

I set a personal goal of removing 500 coyotes this season while hunting solo. Although I have shot over 300, 3 of the last 4 seasons, 500 was a stretch as I had never crossed the 400 mark before. I just wrapped up my coyote season. I sent a message to my landowners thanking them for access to their land. I pulled together the numbers and thought I would share them with all of you as well.

2023/2024 Korey Kirschenmann Coyote Season (All Solo #'s)

552 Coyotes
48 Days/Night
11.50 Coyote Average Per Day/Night

Miles Driven: 16,542

# of Coyotes Killed On A Stand:
Singles 170
Doubles 87
Triples 34
Quads 12
Quints 9
Sextet 1
Septet 1

Average Shot Distance:
September 141 Yards
October      151 Yards
November  168 Yards
December  173 Yards
January      175 Yards
February     181 Yards
March         236 Yards

I have always guessed my average shot distance gets farther the later in the season, but it really did work out that way this year.

Sound Types:
Distress  191
Vocals    345
No Sound  16

Those who know me, know I don't talk about the sounds I use or the sequences, etc. I always tell people I kill more coyotes with vocalizations than distress, but I actually tabulated the numbers this year. I track this type of information and more every year, but I hadn't ever put it together and shared it before.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the goal has to be 600 for next season.  Congratulations on a wonderful season, truly remarkable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow Korey, thats awesome. Well done.
Do you sell the skins?
An average of $30 per skin is $$$$
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DoubleUp2:Looks like the goal has to be 600 for next season.  Congratulations on a wonderful season, truly remarkable.
View Quote
Our day season doesn't end but our night season is now closed. I am sure I could keep hunting and get to 600. However, my February and March numbers continue to get lower. This is a combination of my losing my energy as well as I am truly depleting the local coyote population. I need some months for my body to recuperate and my drive to get after it again.

As for 600 for next year, I will never say never. However, we had the mildest winter on record with very little snow. All this was extremely helpful to get to the number for this year. Once I got to 500, I kept hunting as I wanted to hit a number that I will most likely never try for again. If I keep removing this many coyotes, if I don't keep adding a lot of land eventually the numbers are going to go the other direction. You can't kill coyotes that aren't there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
Wow Korey, thats awesome. Well done.
Do you sell the skins?
An average of $30 per skin is $$$$
View Quote
Historically yes. Nice quality Northern, pale heavy coyotes were bringing $60-100 in the carcass around 3 years ago. The coyote market absolutely crashed 2 years ago. A really good coyote is worth around $5-$10 now, and they are the exception, not the rule. It isn't even worth the gas to take them to a fur buyer.  I haven't kept a coyote in the last 2 years. I even know a fur buyer who hunts coyotes himself, and he won't even pick up his own coyotes as they aren't worth his time to pick them up and store them. Driving 16,000+ miles hunting coyotes, plus the high cost of ammunition, means I must love coyote hunting a lot to do this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazing

Hats off to you Sir for a truly amazing run.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, this is an absolutely incredible feat, the kind of thing hunting magazines will talk about 50 years from now (unfortunately they won’t exist anymore). This is simply unparalleled.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to ask… approximately how many were bagged in the Sandhills?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:04:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KoreyKirsch] [#8]
Originally Posted By SlimBlundt:I have to ask… approximately how many were bagged in the Sandhills?
View Quote
Historically, I don't hunt a lot in the Sandhills. This area is the closest decent coyote hunting to where I live but often sees so much hunting pressure. However, this year I did spend more time there. I shot around 10% of my total number in this area. It is very heavily hunted public ground, so I was very surprised. I will send you some numbers on this area via PM.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]
That's quite a feat and very impressive! I have said it before but you sir, are a "killer".  Good job and congrats on busting your target number. Keep the videos coming.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
All I can say is thanks for taking the time to put all the videos together. Putting yardage on most of them really adds to it for me as I never get to hunt the wide open spaces you do. I would struggle a lot to judge yardage where you hunt. You have had an awesome season and shared it here. THANKS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all. You are all very kind. I posted this in some other places and not everyone else was as supportive as this group. Lots of egos getting in the way. I appreciate you all.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had a few people ask on other places of what I call a day or night of hunting, as I indicated I averaged 11.50 coyotes per day/night. They were thinking that could mean that there are times I might hunt all day and all night and then call that 1 day/night. Actually in the way I do it, that would count as 2.

Everybody should use whatever metrics works for them. I use this statistic for two reasons. The reasons are landowner expectations as well as providing me a measurement if I am improving.

Landowner Expectations: When I am talking to existing or potentially new landowners, they want to know the type of impact I can have on their coyote population. By monitoring this number, I can provide an average or typical representative of how many coyotes I will remove each time I hunt their property. Since I drive so far, I am usually hunting for a full night.

Measurement For Improvement: Of course coyote population can play a big part in numbers, but assuming a fairly stable population, I want a metric that I can use to gauge if I am getting more coyotes vs just hunting more often, etc.

Per Day/Night Measurement: What is a full night?  Over the years of tracking this information, I can get about 10 stands in a typical night of hunting. I do some day hunting as well and even some day and night combination hunts. I have found that once I hit around 10 stands, my body starts telling me this is enough. When I leave my house, my expectation is that I will be making 10 stands. Weatherman are often wrong, so if I go out and let's say call 5 spots, and the wind picks up to 30+ or something makes me quit hunting, then I mark that hunt as .5 in my spreadsheet. If I do put in 10 stands, it gets a 1, etc.  

So, if you look at the numbers I posted, 48 days/nights means I hunted around 480 stands. Based on this, I am average 1.15 coyotes for every stand I make or 11.5, every 10 stands. Some people will say well why don't you just use that metric. To me this metric doesn't mean much becuase I could be simply sitting one stand for 4 hours or even an entire night which is very different than if I use 30-minute stand times. Again, this is my way of tracking my hunts. When I talk to a landowner, if I said I get a little over 1 coyote on every stand that really doesn't help them understand how many I most likely will get when I hunt.

Top Top