User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2024 11:53:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taft]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
He does do a good job of making videos.   I’ve watched most of them.  But don’t get too attached to some of the projects he posts.   I think he sold off this radio some time after finishing the project.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Taft] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Taft:

I watched a lot of his videos and you are right he does a good job.

I am only into the 2-meter/440 stuff as that is the biggest use here in my area.

I don't have anyone else in the immediate family of friends to use the digital laptop stuff, or HF related stuff.

I liked the idea of having a portable higher power communication rig than a 5 watt held held can give, and with better antenna options.

In about a month I will post a manpack review thread with lots of pics.  I am putting together another one using the PRC117G bag.  

I will review the various antennas such as a BHC-24, J-Pole (N9TAX), mag mount and vehicle mount.

View Quote

@Taft

I for one would really appreciate that. A good parts, battery, etc breakdown like a build list would be fantastic too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#6]
Lots of this sort of stuff in the Ham Radio forum. ;-)

I had a backpack portable "DC to Daylight" rig for a while, to include a .mil handset. Spent most of it's life in the trunk, so I repurposed it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/The_EMCOMM_Box/22-648273/
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ApacheScout] [#8]
I think it's a good topic for this forum. Also, The TechPrepper does the "no random contact" videos where he takes his gear into the field to make contact with a designated person thats usually several hundred miles away to show what works and what doesn't. That would be important in a SHTF situation where you want to contact family/friends for health/welfare info and news instead of ragchewing on the ham bands.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I think one of his limiting factors in his "manpack" ideas is the heat of his location. The IC705 is one of the best "manpack" radios for digital communication, but he doesn't like it. It could be because of the heat, maybe the screen can't handle it.

But the 705 is certainly is a smaller, lighter package. He is mostly about logical regional targeted comms in his area. I prefer Julian OH8STN for digital comms, as he really has things dialed in.

But it's good to see Gaston out there making things happen. He shows failures and successes, in the heat of AZ.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top