Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 11:28:10 AM EDT
Anywhere I can get antibiotics without a prescription?

I have a feral cat that lost an eye a couple years ago.  He got pretty bad off due to an infection in the wound and sinus.  I put ivermectin and tetracycline powder in soft food and in a couple weeks he was good as new minus an eye.  He’s lost weight I’m assuming because of parasites and appears to have a respiratory infection. He’s eating much better and in a much better mood after a few days of Ivermectin, but I need something (Amoxicillin?) for the respiratory infection.  Taking him to a vet is not an option (feral)
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The government has really cracked down on animal antibiotic availability without prescription this year.  Pretty sure you'll need a vet to call it in.  Might have better luck with a farmer or rural vet that is used to dealing with house calls and farmers taking care of their own animals.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks y’all.  I was afraid of that.  I’ll got a Dr. that might do me a favor, but don’t know a vet that won’t cost me a $165.  I’ll see if the doc will call me something in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably best for the cat and the environment to just put it down.

This isn’t even trolling this is my serious reply.

1) government has cracked down on just getting antibiotics for animals

2) it’s feral it should be treated no differently than a coyote

3) Giving it different antibiotics than what is needed for its specific infection will just fuck it even more.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:46:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StillGonnaSendIt] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

$165?

Make connections with a large animal vet.  We take all of our animals to a vet who does large and small animals because they are not as "foo foo" and don't charge anywhere near that for a visit, and if you have a relationship with them, they'd sell you something no problem.

They are generally more practical, too.  They do not expect us to clean the teeth of every animal we own once a week.

Our vet is $42 for an office visit.  I never heard of a vet who charged $165 for an office visit, but I'm sure those probably exist.

We trap our ferals and take them in for their shots, get them neutered/spayed, etc.  After that, the vets just give me what I need for the cost of the drug for any I can't easily bring in.  We have one who lives in the house, but no way can we get him in a crate to bring him.   Our vets work out whatever we need for him, to be given at home.
View Quote

This is the way. No way I’d try to administer antibiotics and guess. It’s so important to get it right and have a professional look at it.

I trapped my cat which was on the brink of becoming feral and saved it. Lives inside now. It had an infection that my neighbor tried to treat. Was fungal the whole time and now because of it, the cat is pretty much anti biotic resistant.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like you somewhat care about the well-being of the animal.   Buy a live trap, capture the cat and take it to vet for shots and treatment.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The wife and I have gotten into fixing and caring for several ferals over the last 18 months. They live in our back yard and are friendly from a distance. We can't touch them.

I have had to catch them several times through various methods to get them antibiotic injections to treat a number of small injuries. I always take them in a feral cat cage / raccoon cage and they just inject them while they are still in there. Or knock them out if a full exam is needed.

If they are too smart for the feral cage youll need to get creative. Cornering them and tossing a towel over their head has worked for us.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]

$165?

Make connections with a large animal vet.  We take all of our animals to a vet who does large and small animals because they are not as "foo foo" and don't charge anywhere near that for a visit, and if you have a relationship with them, they'd sell you something no problem.

They are generally more practical, too.  They do not expect us to clean the teeth of every animal we own once a week.

Our vet is $42 for an office visit.  I never heard of a vet who charged $165 for an office visit, but I'm sure those probably exist.

We trap our ferals and take them in for their shots, get them neutered/spayed, etc.  After that, the vets just give me what I need for the cost of the drug for any I can't easily bring in.  We have one who lives in the house, but no way can we get him in a crate to bring him.   Our vets work out whatever we need for him, to be given at home.
View Quote

Thanks!  That actually jiggled my brain that I have access to a feral cat program locally that could help me out.  I’ll also cultivate a relationship with a farm vet.  I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Earax:
The wife and I have gotten into fixing and caring for several ferals over the last 18 months. They live in our back yard and are friendly from a distance. We can't touch them.

I have had to catch them several times through various methods to get them antibiotic injections to treat a number of small injuries. I always take them in a feral cat cage / raccoon cage and they just inject them while they are still in there. Or knock them out if a full exam is needed.

If they are too smart for the feral cage youll need to get creative. Cornering them and tossing a towel over their head has worked for us.
View Quote

Yeah that’s the problem.  I trapped him the first time I saved his life.  He won’t let me do it again.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:12:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#12]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
Probably best for the cat and the environment to just put it down.

This isn’t even trolling this is my serious reply.

1) government has cracked down on just getting antibiotics for animals

2) it’s feral it should be treated no differently than a coyote

3) Giving it different antibiotics than what is needed for its specific infection will just fuck it even more.
View Quote

So you are going to tell me to be a friend of the environment by treating a cat that I’ve cared for and fed for two years by killing it like a wild predator?  And you’re not trolling?  Have you by chance, in a clinical setting heard yourself described as “on the spectrum”?  If not, that would mean that you are in fact trolling.  Regardless, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from “helping” me in the future.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:19:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TAG_Match] [#14]

FYI, it's worth a look at your local farm and feed store, in the cooler, to see if there is ANY antibiotic left there.

Last fall I got a bottle of Oxytetracycline --the last bottle they had--and I still have that.  They were selling out their supply because the law changed and they can't sell it anymore.  You might luck out.  It's worth a stop.  (This is useful only if you can catch the cat and give the cat a shot.)

ETA:  You will find that whatever vet you choose, respects you for getting him altered and cared for that first time, and will be more willing to work with you.  

It's harder when they've been trapped before.   My husband sits out there for hours, earning their trust (only to betray it when we slam that crate door) but not everybody can do that.
View Quote

Very good advice.  I really appreciate it.  I dosed his last infection with tetracycline powder for administering to poultry in their water.  I still have some but my research said it’s hard on their tummies and I’m trying to get him to put on some weight.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#16]
@Kitties-with-siggs

Yes!  That makes lots of sense!  I really appreciate it.  I will stop by the health food store and see if they have it.  It not I’ll order off of Amazon.  Thanks again for your advice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Talk to your local vet.  They will need to write you a VFD (prescription).  It gets sent to the store, I recommend Vally Vet.  VFD is good for a year, order away.  LA300 is my go too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#19]
It seems that you can still get fish mox and such from some American suppliers if you google it, you'll have to look through to see if you think if they look reputable enough, the place where I got it last time is trying to get FDA approval, apparently, so I dont really have a specific recommendation. Theres also outside the US options, like alldaychemist. I've never used any of those, but a lot of people have for other things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top