Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

New to me RV Trailer! (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2023 7:07:16 PM EDT
Just picked this up last week to tow behind my Raptor. I wasted to stay as light as possible while staying comfortable for the wife and I. It's 3500lbs gross weight and the truck pulled it easily. While empty, the truck only had about 2"-3" squat in the rear.

It's a 2019 Salem Platinum 18ft. It was my absolute must that any trailer we got had to be built before 2020 (for reasons) but still new enough that it is still in newish condition.

This is my first RV type trailer. I've always tent camped or used a cargo trailer with a cot thrown in it.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.

Get a weight distribution hitch to eliminate the squat and improve handling.

This is my 2020 Vintage Cruiser:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:
Just picked this up last week to tow behind my Raptor. I wasted to stay as light as possible while staying comfortable for the wife and I. It's 3500lbs gross weight and the truck pulled it easily. While empty, the truck only had about 2"-3" squat in the rear.

It's a 2019 Salem Platinum 18ft. It was my absolute must that any trailer we got had to be built before 2020 (for reasons) but still new enough that it is still in newish condition.

This is my first RV type trailer. I've always tent camped or used a cargo trailer with a cot thrown in it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284782/20230102_145819_jpg-2662810.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284782/20230102_145758_jpg-2662811.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284782/20230102_145900_jpg-2662812.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284782/20230102_145905_jpg-2662813.JPG
View Quote

Congratulations Op 🤘🤘
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Second that on the WD hitch... you need it. A single axle trailer can have much higher hitch weights, even though the actual trailer weight is low. A WD hitch will spread that out, and also help mitigate sway. While squat is not horrible.. its the lifting of the front wheels that causes issues.

Congrats!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice, I definitely have that on the list to get done! I'm looking forward to getting it out this spring when I get time.

I plan on keeping the bare minimum stored in the trailer but I know it can get out of hand quick the longer we keep it.

I keep all my camping gear stored in tough boxes so hopefully I can place them down the center of the trailer to keep the weight low and centered.

I currently have a 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer I hitch up and go camping with. It's served me well but its time to upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Tiny little guy, but big enough to relax in.  Should be fun getting into some tight spots.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Tiny? This thing is bigger than my first apartment!
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The manufacturer includes a hitch height spec in the documentation. You can find it online if it wasn't included.

You'll want to make sure your hitch height matches that spec. If the trailer is rides too low on the hitch, it exacerbates the tongue weight and squat.

A WDH is probably not an absolute necessity, but I recently purchased a weigh-safe hitch with scale built in that is super handy for making sure the trailer is properly loaded and balanced. I'd recommend one of those for anyone towing more than a small garden trailer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#8]
A weight distribution hitch will help out a ton.  I have an Equalizer but there are a few good brands.

I towed a 2021 Lance 2445 with a 2020 Raptor.  It did ok but we were always over the payload capacity of the truck.  I think the wider stance of the truck helps a bit with stability (obviously doesn't mitigate payload).

You have to get used to not having anything in the bed, being careful with what you pack, and not towing with the water tank full.  We'd stop off at a gas station close to our destination, or the destination itself, and fill the tanks.  And then dump the black tanks as soon as possible.

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:
A weight distribution hitch will help out a ton.  I have an Equalizer but there are a few good brands.

I towed a 2021 Lance 2445 with a 2020 Raptor.  It did ok but we were always over the payload capacity of the truck.  I think the wider stance of the truck helps a bit with stability (obviously doesn't mitigate payload).

You have to get used to not having anything in the bed, being careful with what you pack, and not towing with the water tank full.  We'd stop off at a gas station close to our destination, or the destination itself, and fill the tanks.  And then dump the black tanks as soon as possible.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/44085-2662878.jpg

View Quote

Good information. I have on site water access where I normally go and I didn't really plan on using the plumbing unless the wife comes camping. The only thing I keep in my truck bed is a roadside emergency kit and 3day get home bag.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to the cult.  You'll learn a LOT the first year.  We've made a shit ton of mods/improvements/additions to ours.  We've got a 3500# axle and a 3800# gross weight.

We're overweight all the time.  Unless you don't put anything in it, you will be too.  

2020 Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB with the Outfitter and Off-Grid packages.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Sumo Springs helped out the ride of the trailer quite a bit, simple install.  Have a wet bolt kit to install hopefully this year, get rid of the suspension creaking.  We've boondocked quite a bit, 50 gallons of fresh water can last a week with 2 people, 30 gallon grey and black tanks are also good for a week, if you're careful.  100W solar on the roof keeps the battery charged if you have sun, the blower in the furnace will drain two batteries overnight.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#12]
You're gonna want to make an account on Forest River Forums, and go to a FROG rally.

You're one of us now.

Embrace the FROG.

@Wodstock we've got another recruit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 8:37:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wjoutlaw] [#13]
Thanks everyone! Seems like I've got quite a bit to learn. I usually use my 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer with a cot thrown in it. It was adequate for my needs since I'm a minimalist kind of guy. I do take a bit of gear, just mainly a couple canopies and tables. I have a camp kitchen setup that fits in one tough box.

Old trailer. Attachment Attached File

This is the extent of my camping gear in the trailer. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quite a different upgrade. They say precovid to avoid the sudden rush of production and the shoddier craftsmanship. Be prepared for continuous maintainace.

A fair amount of totes may be needed. Water, sewer,electrical, leveling.. then storage will require totes or bags. I got collapsible totes helps to empty fridge easier. Ensure that you never leave anything in the fridge when not powered. Immediately empty. People always complain the left meat or other stuff and then it stinks up everything. Dehumidifier is necessary - moisture is not your friend trust me.

seriously Dopple has a point about the forum, they have some good ideas sometimes. And atleast the FROG (Forest River owners Group) around NY is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Never thought about a dehumidifier, gonna order one now. The storage lot has electrical access for stuff like that.

Good point on never storing things in the fridge while not in use bit that's just common sense.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Congratulations OP!   We bought ours a few years ago, and really enjoy the inside bathroom, extra space, A/C and other things that come with a full size towed trailer, we had a pop-up for many years.  Just took ours on a 3200 miles trip through California, Oregon.  Awesome trip.  Enjoy!

Link Posted: 1/8/2023 3:46:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Rented a similar rig back in 2016 and trekked to Tetons/Yellowstone with it. Great set up, you'll like it. Congrats
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget to get up on the roof a few times a year to inspect it, and add more crappy sealant when needed. Important to wash the roof at least twice a year, too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Awesome good luck with it. Imho the most important thing is getting to where you want to go and getting home safe. Like others said, the weight distribution hitch, and inspect the tires! A tpms is very helpful. Make sure you have the tools to change a flat including a jack and blocking to pick one side up if the rim is on the ground (mainly bc you have a single axle). Make sure your spare is good, Aired up and covered. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:30:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wjoutlaw] [#20]
Great tips everyone! I've started my list and have already purchased the dehumidifier, blocks, and chocks. I'm shopping around for the weight distribution hitch. I imagine, flex seal is going to be my best friend for the foreseeable future. The trailer is in really good shape for being almost 4 years old. I sprung for the covered storage space also. The lot even has electrical access.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Go to an RV supply store and get some self leveling (and non-self leveling) RV sealant.  The self leveling stuff is good for the roof, the non-self leveling is a little thicker and doesn't run, so it can be used on vertical surfaces.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:27:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Look for a company called RV Roof Install on the tube. Pretty eye opening to how theyre slapped together.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Here is ours the day we bought it on the lot.

Setup on our first camping trip at a 3 day trial event.  

I tow it with a standard f150 it’s like 5500 lbs and I’m not sure I would have liked towing it with my raptor.  Weight distribution hitch helps a ton and I was a non believer in them but I was forced to buy one when I bought the trailer to take it how.  I have towed it with my one ton as well and never even know it’s there.

If you have a black tank rinse, rinse it about twice as long as you think you need to every time you dump it.  I had to put a lid on my wife’s desire to put everything for our house in the damn thing.  I will say that the black stone has been a great addition and I’m going to get one for the porch too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
https://i.imgur.com/8WkD5oK.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/j2sfyTe.jpeg

I tow it with a standard f150 it’s like 5500 lbs and I’m not sure I would have liked towing it with my raptor.  Weight distribution hitch helps a ton and I was a non believer in them but I was forced to buy one when I bought the trailer to take it how.  I have towed it with my one ton as well and never even know it’s there.

If you have a black tank rinse, rinse it about twice as long as you think you need to every time you dump it.  I had to put a lid on my wife’s desire to put everything for our house in the damn thing.  I will say that the black stone has been a great addition and I’m going to get one for the porch too.
View Quote

Welcome to my world.

Women don't give a shit about how much the camper weighs...decorating it it the important thing. God knows how many times I told my wife "Every ounce counts".
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
https://i.imgur.com/8WkD5oK.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/j2sfyTe.jpeg

I tow it with a standard f150 it's like 5500 lbs and I'm not sure I would have liked towing it with my raptor.  Weight distribution hitch helps a ton and I was a non believer in them but I was forced to buy one when I bought the trailer to take it how.  I have towed it with my one ton as well and never even know it's there.

If you have a black tank rinse, rinse it about twice as long as you think you need to every time you dump it.  I had to put a lid on my wife's desire to put everything for our house in the damn thing.  I will say that the black stone has been a great addition and I'm going to get one for the porch too.
View Quote
I will second the blackstone. We use a 17" and a coleman 2 burner stove for all our cooking. Only time the inside burners have been used is to test them out. We use a Flush King  when cleaning out the black tank.

Link Posted: 1/12/2023 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I actually have a Blackstone griddle the FIL got me for my birthday last year. Got it assembled but haven't had time to break it in. Great tips here!
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Nice.

Get a weight distribution hitch to eliminate the squat and improve handling.

This is my 2020 Vintage Cruiser:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/20210904_181938_jpg-2662824.JPG
View Quote

This x100
Especially on longer trips. I got a blue ox. Kicks ass.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Throw a large bag of ice in the black tank for the ride home . Gives the tank a good scrubbing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Congrats OP, nice RV.

I have to pick mine up from the dealer (warranty work) tomorrow. These are better than tent camping but it pays to be handy as things are always breaking or in need of adjustment.

First trip plans?

Good luck and have a blast.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
Throw a large bag of ice in the black tank for the ride home . Gives the tank a good scrubbing.
View Quote

Now that's just brilliant. I haven't had a trailer in a long while, but I'm savin' up for ideas on a future purchase. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#31]
There was a blurb oabout ice cubes in one of the RV YouTube videos. How do you get it in the tank? Pour it in the toilet?
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By blindprophet501:
I will second the blackstone. We use a 17" and a coleman 2 burner stove for all our cooking. Only time the inside burners have been used is to test them out. We use a Flush King  when cleaning out the black tank.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61B3WiQNPiL._AC_SX679_.jpg
View Quote
Saw a video of a test of flushers like that. Most of them don't work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#33]
There was a blurb oabout ice cubes in one of the RV YouTube videos. How do you get it in the tank? Pour it in the toilet?
View Quote
Toilet is an open hole to the black tank.  We have a black tank flusher built into the tank works well as long as you're not angled away from the dump side.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
Toilet is an open hole to the black tank.  We have a black tank flusher built into the tank works well as long as you're not angled away from the dump side.
View Quote

Ahh that makes sense. I usually have a good bit of ice left over after my usual camping trip. That'll make good use of it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#35]

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61B3WiQNPiL._AC_SX679_.jpg
View Quote

Just get a transparent elbow for you stinky slinky. Much cheaper and it lets you see when the water runs clear.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 5:49:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#36]
Deleted!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Edit - whoops, meant to put this in the picture thread.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks good... Enjoy, as with anything, maintenance and money go hand in hand... Cover roof from sun and weather as often as possible...
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I sprung for the covered storage space.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cchurchi] [#40]
Nice set up OP!  

I love the concept of smaller, lighter camping trailers so that you can access more campsites and tow with a truck that has ultrasoft suspension for maximim off roading  ride quality and articulation once you are out in the middle of nowhere.  

My trailer is 5500 lbs dry and i use a weight distribution hitch that makes towing a dream.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wjoutlaw] [#41]
Originally Posted By cchurchi:
Nice set up OP!  

I love the concept of smaller, lighter camping trailers so that you can access more campsites and tow with a truck that has ultrasoft suspension for maximim off roading  ride quality and articulation once you are out in the middle of nowhere.  

My trailer is 5500 lbs dry and i use a weight distribution hitch that makes towing a dream.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/154626/92D8AB5F-42D7-4CD0-AACD-BA0044A9703A_jpe-2671793.JPG
View Quote

That's my opinion too. I wanted the lightest trailer possible that the Raptor would have no problems towing. The main place I go camping is a tight squeeze to get in there, but it's not too bad.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Pay attention to the actual trailer weight on the yellow sticker on the inside of the entry door. Looks like you have 6 lug wheels, which usually means a 4400# axle. Add about 10% for tongue weight and that's your gross. Ours has a 3500# axle, our gross is 3800, and we started out with only 450# of cargo capacity. Yeah, we're overweight all the time. The chassis is capable of using a heavier axle, so an upgrade might be in our future if we need to.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:50:48 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
so far it seems to do a good job. we flush it three or four times until the water comes out clear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#44]
so far it seems to do a good job. we flush it three or four times until the water comes out clear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yeah, that's what the guy saw, too.
Comparing Tank Flushers in the Clear RV Black Tank

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, I've made up my mind, I'm never shitting in the trailer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
It's better than a public toilet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 3:56:59 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
This is the strategy we use also.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#48]
9 mil gloves, separate tote for the sewer stuff, and put a puppy pad in the bottom to absorb any liquid. It's not bad. Been using the toilet for 3 years so far.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I recently had a family emergency up in Amarillo, Texas. My mom had a heart attack and passed away thrre weeks after. I wasn't really thinking clearly when I got the call, and I just threw some clothes in a bag and hauled ass there from San Antonio. Made good time, 510 miles in 6 hours.

I should have taken the time and pulled my trailer up there. It would have saved me over $2k in hotel and fuel bills. I stayed in Amarillo for just over a week till my brother got there to sit with mom. I went home, spent the night and towed the trailer up the next day. The Raptor handled pulling the trailer easily. I kept it at 65mph with the tow option on. I got a whopping 9.8mpg averaged over the 510 miles.

This was my first time using it. The trailer was adequate for relaxing and sleeping. Shower was a bit small but not really an issue. Two people can't really move around at the same time, but not much of a big deal. I'd never want to put more than two people in there at all.

I found an RV park in Amarillo that had pull through sites, sewage, water, and 30amp service. My brother was able to sleep comfortably on the back bunk also. Was a bit weird sharing a room with him again, but we made due. Was good to spend time with him again.

When mom passed away, we were able to pick up and move easily to Floydada where moms service was held. The trailer runs off 110v just fine with the AC and fridge. We did our bathroom business in mom's house so no need to empty the black tank.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 3:13:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7gentex] [#50]
OP

Sorry to hear about you Mom.............may she R.I.P.

Get a Sherline tongue weight scale (and hit some public scales), get a WD hitch, and check out Roadmaster Active Suspension.......

I tow a #5,000 GVWR Escape 19 (Canadian fiberglass egg - not a KZ) tongue weight around #550 with a 2017 SCAB Raptor.

Springs on the Raptor are soft for a reason (offroad) and payload/tongue weight is your Achilles heel.

Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) works great for me, easily reversible and MUCH cheaper than some new Deaver +3 HDs rear leafs.

Stock - it felt fine, until is wasn't! WD gets the weight on the front end back and the RAS really helps with the additional weight on the rear.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
New to me RV Trailer! (Page 1 of 2)
Top Top