Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2024 6:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr]
I have 2 16 year old nephews and brother-in-law visiting from out west recently and they really wanted to go coyote hunting.  Having not seen or heard anything for the last month and a half left me worried we would have any luck.   First place we go,  two separate packs sound off after my first call.  About 10 minutes later,  I scan to my left and see one standing there about 200 yards out.  I get nephew #1 on my 6.5 and his dad is on my .223.  The nephew got a little excited and shot before his dad was ready.  It dropped on the shot, but then got up and took off.  We never checked last night, but I am betting he is dead somewhere.  

Next sit we didn't hear any, but one showed up about 300 yards out.  I was hoping he would come closer, but nothing I tried brought him in.  I took a quick shot as he was leaving, but missed.  

Last sit, we heard a pack again right after first call.  About 5 minutes later,  they came out of the woods.  A few distress calls brought them on a dead run towards us.  Nephew #2 was ready to try a shot through the brush at 250 yards.  I convinced him to wait.  Eventually one came in to 75 yards.  I was hoping both would be together so we could shoot at the same time,  but It was more fun seeing them both get coyotes on their first hunts then all the ones I have shot before.  

They were both hooked by the end of the night begging their dad to buy a thermal scope.  

I was a little embarrassed missing all my shots,  but seeing their success made it worth it.   I was not expecting to see much, but it turned out to be one of the better hunts I have ever been on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your success. When you take somebody new you really want to show them something, and you did!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats as you shared a night all of you will remember.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I call it "making memories".  As long as my mind stays sharp, I will always have these to cherish.  

Taking a kid(s) out on a hunting trip is important to the preservation of all the hunting sports.  If the upcoming generation hasn't been exposed to the fun of hunting, they likely will not be passionate about making sure it stays around.  Good job!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a lot of fun. Quality time...great job Uncle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top