BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Nice logs (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow that looks great @67Firebird !  With spring coming on those muddy trails are going to be a lot more 4-wheeler friendly with the new gravel.  

Got 'er feng shui'ed up proper, ya did.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:31:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Nice timbers.
View Quote

I'm kinda into the trash-into-treasure thing

It does take some tooling up to be able to take advantage of stuff like this, but I just think it's kind of amazing to be able to get something for (almost) nothing.  I'm not sure what a 6x6x16 oak beam runs locally, but I imagine just one of 'em would run pretty close the Benjamin I've got in this whole stack (for sawmill guy).

Just messin' around, here's some cedar "project wood" from one of 67Firebird's stumps:

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I can smell that cedar from here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
That's beautiful. I love Cedar.
View Quote

Need any signs for your trails?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
I can smell that cedar from here.
View Quote

It does make the shop smell nice
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Thanks. It goes under those two Cedars, which would hit at about his windshield. Once past that, it only goes a short distance. Not even enough room to turn a dump truck around.

Here's a pic from the top, parked under some more trees.

https://i.postimg.cc/fRHTyB5R/2024-2-14-Driveway.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Merlin:
That looks great!!!  But:  Why didn't the guy tail-gate it?

Thanks. It goes under those two Cedars, which would hit at about his windshield. Once past that, it only goes a short distance. Not even enough room to turn a dump truck around.

Here's a pic from the top, parked under some more trees.

https://i.postimg.cc/fRHTyB5R/2024-2-14-Driveway.jpg

Ah yes.  Truckers are far more aware of low hanging crap, especially dump truckers.  When I order gravel, he always runs the route before dumping to make sure there are no hanging tree limbs or, especially, no low hanging power lines.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:43:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#11]
I was just talking about that.  https://i.postimg.cc/hPydXT1t/ThinkBulbBreaks.gif

A sign on the Cedar, with my first name at the top, and an arrow underneath pointing to the left. We may have to talk about that.
https://i.postimg.cc/hvcGZrnF/2024-2-14-House-and-New-Driveway-4.jpg

View Quote

Piece a' cake... and you already provided the materials.  

We might be able to shoot for cleanup round 2 this Sunday, if you're not tied up with other stuff.  I'll see if I can't crank you out a sign before the next trip.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:35:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Oh no!

I hope by the time I type this, you are better.  

Getting older has sucked for me, for certain.  I don't bounce like I used to.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By midmo:
@67Firebird if you're wondering, I didn't fall off the face of the planet this weekend... took a spill last Tues carrying a bunch of lumber, came down hard on my side and have been laid up ever since.  I ain't nearly as resilient as I used to be, turns out.  

Hoping to be back on my feet by next weekend, might be able to swing by for another load then.  We'll see how things go, just keeping you posted!

Oh no!

I hope by the time I type this, you are better.  

Getting older has sucked for me, for certain.  I don't bounce like I used to.

Thank you Kitties!  But sadly I just had to cancel a second run to 67Firebird's place we had scheduled for today because I'm not quite back up to lifting/loading speed yet.  I must have smooshed something up pretty good inside; probably should have gone to doc but figured that would just end up with me paying a few $K to have them end up telling me to go home and take it easy.

Working on a sign for '67 out of some of the cedar from the first load, though, so it's not a total loss.  Another link in the trash-to-treasure chain.  

Names have been changed to protect this innocent.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#16]

That's turning out GREAT!

Is the arrow actual? Or a mockup?  I was looking at that nice deep cut!

View Quote

Both arrow and lettering will be engraved, or rather routed out with a CNC router and painted black.  The pic is just a preview from the software I use to drive it (Vectric VCarve Pro).
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Glad to help '67!

I know you've got more trees you want to tend to, but I'll probably have to skip a few weekends to catch up on home stuff (and a project I've been promising @buck19delta forever).  But we're not done yet!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By midmo:
Glad to help '67!

I know you've got more trees you want to tend to, but I'll probably have to skip a few weekends to catch up on home stuff (and a project I've been promising @buck19delta forever).  But we're not done yet!
View Quote

Appreciate the help !
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]
The whole band saw mill thing gets me going. If only I was a few years younger.

Many a nice log gets chopped into firewood or just sits and rots because it isn't worth it for the big boys to come and get just a couple of logs or they are (justifiably) scared about iron hardware in it .

When you really look hard on youtube or whatever you discover you really need lots of space and a fair amount of expensive equipment to do it right and if you invest in all that you end up working very hard to pay for everything
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#24]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
The whole band saw mill thing gets me going. If only I was a few years younger.

Many a nice log gets chopped into firewood or just sits and rots because it isn't worth it for the big boys to come and get just a couple of logs or they are (justifiably) scared about iron hardware in it .

When you really look hard on youtube or whatever you discover you really need lots of space and a fair amount of expensive equipment to do it right and if you invest in all that you end up working very hard to pay for everything
View Quote

A real live bandsaw mill is my ultimate goal, just out of reach for me right now.  But you can rescue quite a bit of "craft" wood with a regular 14" woodworking bandsaw with a riser block, giving it a cutting capacity of about 12".  You can do chunks of logs up to about 3' long without too much trouble, longer if you build some kind of sled/support carriage.

Resawing with that rig is what got me looking at real sawmills.  

ETA: the mills themselves don't have to be terribly expensive (though they can be).  The one I've been looking at most recently still comes in at less than a lot of nicely equipped AR's:
https://mechmaxx.com/products/32-portable-sawmill-420cc-15hp-e-start-kohler-gasoline-engine-29-board-width-11-log-length-13-track-bed

Moving logs around is another issue, but I'm already somewhat set of for that for firewood processing.  If I started milling a whole bunch of stuff I'd probably have to get a skid steer or something.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Nice logs (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top