User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
I cant decide whether to standardize my grease arsenal with the Mystik or Lucas line
View Quote

Mystik makes grease.

Lucas does not.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

I love this thread.  4T motorcycle race oil vs. "normal" synthetic motorcycle oil... Both good for factory-service intervals on non-race bikes?

@Foxtrot08, don't leave me hanging bro.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:
I’m drunk. It’s Christmas. AMA about the oil industry.

I love this thread.  4T motorcycle race oil vs. "normal" synthetic motorcycle oil... Both good for factory-service intervals on non-race bikes?

@Foxtrot08, don't leave me hanging bro.  

Both are fine for normal intervals.  Racing stuff might have a little higher ZDDP / antiwear package. Might be on the highest side of viscosity. But otherwise similar.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Mystik makes grease.

Lucas does not.
View Quote
@foxtrot08

Does lucas repackage someone elses product with their name?
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
@foxtrot08

View All Quotes
Mystik makes grease.

Lucas does not.
@foxtrot08

Yes.  Same manufacturer that makes Lucas RNT makes my house brand grease…
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
Soooooo......who's the maker of RNT?
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes

I’ll DM it.  But I’m not putting out in public since I’m easily identifiable and that is industry confidential.  

It’s an okay grease. But certainly not a super premium. If it says anything, I use Mystik JT6 over my house brand in my own fleet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#7]
I’ll DM it.  But I’m not putting out in public since I’m easily identifiable and that is industry confidential.  

It’s an okay grease. But certainly not a super premium. If it says anything, I use Mystik JT6 over my house brand in my own fleet.
View Quote
Ah gotcha. Np, yeah please IM me.

Ive been going down the Rabbit hole of researching grease and narrowed it down to lucas or jt6.

This guy did a pretty good review of rnt but he hasnt done jt6 yet. I assumed because rnt and jt6 #2 hi-temp (red) were similar they would perform the same
Is Cheap Grease better than Lucas Red N Tacky? Let's find out! Bearing Grease Test Episode 1
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#8]

Ive been going down the Rabbit hole of researching grease and narrowed it down to lucas or jt6.

This guy did a pretty good review of rnt but he hasnt done jt6 yet. I assumed because rnt and jt6 #2 hi-temp (red) were similar they would perform the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmSQSjraSE
View All Quotes

So instead of watching dumb videos. I’ll give you a quick and dirty guide on how to read a product data sheet.

https://www.lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Red-Tacky-Grease.pdf

To the bottom, it says 1000 SuS. This is not a common way to numerate this.  No one uses SUS. They just wanted a big number.

From this chart, we can tell it’s an ISO 220ish.  More precisely an iso 200. (They’re being generous there with that number…)

Mystik;

http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20026.pdf

We can tell easily it’s an ISO 600 @ 40c - particularly a 630. So substantially heavier base oil. Most importing thing about a grease is viscosity of the oil.  Assuming general purpose applications, not high speed, not super tight tolerances, etc.  the JT6 high temp is going to hold together much better.

JT6 also has a much better oil separation level 2 vs 6.

And a much lower water wash out rate.

Also high slightly better metrics on the four ball wear test.

Over all, much more robust grease all the way around.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info!

Ive been looking at product dada sheets provided by their wedsites. At least I think they were. Contained info on what was used as the base thickener, etc..... Never saw what you posted
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Word to the wise, don't reference project farm to Foxtrot08.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 1:52:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By A_G:

View All Quotes

It’s just dumb unscientific tests. That are generally the same idea as… product data sheet tests.

There’s a reason why SAE, API and others came up with ATSM standardized tests, I believe… they’re published or semi easily re-created.

So… yeah. He’s pretty annoying to me…
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 12:41:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#13]
PF tested a bunch of CLP oils too!

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 3:15:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: not_sure] [#14]

View All Quotes

The standardized tests aren't perfect* but they are better than that.  

*For instance, the normal compatibility test is to mix the two greases at different ratios to see if the NGLI number / cone penetration changes. Nothing about the additive compatibility.  And I don't really care what the drop point is.  Operating temps should be no where near there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info!

Ive been looking at product dada sheets provided by their wedsites. At least I think they were. Contained info on what was used as the base thickener, etc..... Never saw what you posted
View Quote

They both use a lithium complex for a thickener.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#16]
bought a knock-off (just a homeowner with only a riding mower to grease) and even it is WAY better than the old push on kind.  And as to manual grease guns, the best I can suggest is garage sales and look at the threads on the grease tube.  the old one I inherited from my dad has CUT threads and thick metal.   the new junk ones have rolled threads and way thinner metal, too thin to be able to cut threads in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 6:14:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#17]
Originally Posted By terry_tr6:
bought a knock-off (just a homeowner with only a riding mower to grease) and even it is WAY better than the old push on kind.  And as to manual grease guns, the best I can suggest is garage sales and look at the threads on the grease tube.  the old one I inherited from my dad has CUT threads and thick metal.   the new junk ones have rolled threads and way thinner metal, too thin to be able to cut threads in.
View Quote
Rolled threads are better than cut.

Lets take a buffer tube for example...

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By terry_tr6:
I inherited a grease gun from my dad labeled Stewart Warner  Alemite, who knows how old, works great.  I was looking at the tube and thinking it might be a good basis for a home built suppressor.  Not wanting to  use it, I saw a pair of returned amazon pistol grip specials at a cheap price and grabbed  them.   Well, first, they didn't work because the piston seal was too big to fit in a cartridge! second, the tube wall thickness was HALF the Alemet and instead of threads being machined, they were rolled.  Decided the tubes were too thin for my project,but managed to turn down the piston to make it work, but wow, i understand why they are so cheap
View Quote

I found out the same and when looking at the same project.  and my grease gun was also a stewart warner i inherited from my dad
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Foxtrot thanks for the mystik recommendation.  I bought a pallet of it a few months ago

I have the Milwaukee grease guns for most of our stuff, but for some reason at the house I have an air powered one I drag out .  I’m not sure why, but I think it’s because every time I keep a Milwaukee I end up giving it to someone at work.  No one ever steals my air powered one

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Y'all are all voting for Brandon next fall, right?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
I’m drunk. It’s Christmas. AMA about the oil industry.

Y'all are all voting for Brandon next fall, right?

Uh…

Well you know I’m in the oil business.  I’m male.  I’m a gun owner.  And a farmer.

And in 2016 we were internationally famous for hanging a Trump sign 125ft in the air next to a highway from a crane.

So take a wild guess.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Dboy11:
Foxtrot thanks for the mystik recommendation.  I bought a pallet of it a few months ago

I have the Milwaukee grease guns for most of our stuff, but for some reason at the house I have an air powered one I drag out .  I’m not sure why, but I think it’s because every time I keep a Milwaukee I end up giving it to someone at work.  No one ever steals my air powered one

View Quote

Next time you need a pallet DM me.  I can probably get you a great price and LtL’d in.  

If you’re using that much too, especially on your trucks you may want to consider a keg with an air pump.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dboy11] [#24]

Next time you need a pallet DM me.  I can probably get you a great price and LtL’d in.  

If you’re using that much too, especially on your trucks you may want to consider a keg with an air pump.
View Quote

Next time I need one I’ll dm you then! Looks like we are going through about 8 cases a month right now.  I should invest in my shop, but I’m working on building another one and really don’t want to fit this one out yet.  I’ve only got 8 dump trucks, but the equipment is always on the move and rarely comes back to the shop.  

My trucks get grease jobs every other week, right now, and weekly from march through November since we run 24/7 during that period
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Next time I need one I’ll dm you then! Looks like we are going through about 8 cases a month right now.  I should invest in my shop, but I’m working on building another one and really don’t want to fit this one out yet.  I’ve only got 8 dump trucks, but the equipment is always on the move and rarely comes back to the shop.  

My trucks get grease jobs every other week, right now, and weekly from march through November since we run 24/7 during that period
View All Quotes

Understood.  I get that… even with my 4 bay shop and 2 other bays at other divisions… it’s  too small. But just other things to spend money on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Everything be way to expensive yo
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:54:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Bump for trying another grease gun soon.  Think my next one will be Lock-n-Lube.  I've been through the parts store ones, and I hate them all.  Don't use enough to justify an electric one.  Mostly just a compact tractor.  Doesn't take long with a manual one, until the grease goes places in the gun it shouldn't.

Figure spending more than a couple bucks *should* get me quality.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:42:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#30]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:
Bump for trying another grease gun soon.  Think my next one will be Lock-n-Lube.  I've been through the parts store ones, and I hate them all.  Don't use enough to justify an electric one.  Mostly just a compact tractor.  Doesn't take long with a manual one, until the grease goes places in the gun it shouldn't.

View Quote

Go with an Alemite 500 or Lincoln 1147.  Both are made by SKF.  Lock n lube used to re-sell them. But to pay $100 for a manual grease gun from lock n lube is a waste of money.

I have Lincoln grease guns in my garage older than me.

Also, I don’t like the pistol style grease guns personally. I find them finicky. I have one around for a certain application but beyond that, lever guns or battery & air across my shops.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Go with an Alemite 500 or Lincoln 1147.  Both are made by SKF.  Lock n lube used to re-sell them. But to pay $100 for a manual grease gun from lock n lube is a waste of money.

Also, I don’t like the pistol style grease guns personally. I find them finicky. I have one around for a certain application but beyond that, lever guns or battery & air across my shops.
View All Quotes

Noted, looks like I'll try the Lincoln, and try that style.  I've only really used the pistol grips, might as well try something else.  One thing I don't think I'll spring for battery powered yet.  Don't go through all that much grease.

When you say finicky, are you talking about the loading part?  My issue is usually grease getting past the plunger, which I'm guessing is a sign of either me being stupid, or bad seals on low quality guns.  Or that I take a while to get through a tube, and just gives it time to seep past?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Noted, looks like I'll try the Lincoln, and try that style.  I've only really used the pistol grips, might as well try something else.  One thing I don't think I'll spring for battery powered yet.  Don't go through all that much grease.

When you say finicky, are you talking about the loading part?  My issue is usually grease getting past the plunger, which I'm guessing is a sign of either me being stupid, or bad seals on low quality guns.  Or that I take a while to get through a tube, and just gives it time to seep past?

Thanks!
View All Quotes

Thanks!

Hmm…

Does your grease look like the one on the left after you pull the old tube?

Cheap grease guns the seals do normally go. That is indeed the weak point. Cheap plastic instead of a higher quality rubber leads to air getting in.

But the tube on the left is about 4 years old. The oil leaked out of it over time - my garage at my lake house isn’t heated or cooled. So eventually the oil makes its way  out of the grease mixture. And ends up on your work bench / shelf / floor / etc.

This will lead to gaps in the grease and the grease becoming not pumpable at all.

Certain greases tend to bleed more than others. That specific tube was in my needle greaser. Which I only use a tiny bit of on my old tractor to hit 2 fittings that I couldn’t get with a normal size grease connector.

Loading should be easy.

Pull the plunger back. Lock it in place. Unscrew the bottom. Slide the old tube out. Pull the top off and the tab cover off the other tube. Slide it in. Rock and roll.

Do make sure the grease tube is facing the right direction
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:39:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: haveTwo] [#33]
Pretty sure I'm loading it the correct way.  I mean it becomes hard to pull the plunger back because the grease gets past the plunger seal into where the spring is, and won't fully compress until I scoop most of it out of the way.  Like I said, it's stupid and I figure I got some no-name parts store thing for cheap.

Distressing that the ones you pointed out aren't actually that expensive.  I'm going to really hate myself if $40 was all that was standing in my way of less aggravation.

ETA: No holes in the grease like you showed, just it getting places it shouldn't.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#34]
@foxtrot08
Do you deal in food grade greases?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bigborehound:
@foxtrot08
Do you deal in food grade greases?
View Quote

Yep.

Lubriplate, Clarion, Summit/Kluber.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Bump
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Hmm…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/4A96C33D-BD65-4C78-BE7D-15D356ABB165-1478177.jpg

Cheap grease guns the seals do normally go. That is indeed the weak point. Cheap plastic instead of a higher quality rubber leads to air getting in.

But the tube on the left is about 4 years old. The oil leaked out of it over time - my garage at my lake house isn’t heated or cooled. So eventually the oil makes its way  out of the grease mixture. And ends up on your work bench / shelf / floor / etc.

This will lead to gaps in the grease and the grease becoming not pumpable at all.

Certain greases tend to bleed more than others. That specific tube was in my needle greaser. Which I only use a tiny bit of on my old tractor to hit 2 fittings that I couldn’t get with a normal size grease connector.

Loading should be easy.

Pull the plunger back. Lock it in place. Unscrew the bottom. Slide the old tube out. Pull the top off and the tab cover off the other tube. Slide it in. Rock and roll.

View All Quotes

Thanks!

Hmm…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/4A96C33D-BD65-4C78-BE7D-15D356ABB165-1478177.jpg

Loading should be easy.

So, doing everything the same way on the Lincoln I bought as on the cheap parts store one, it went way better on the Lincoln.  Which for anyone following along, was not that much more.  Haven't had to reload it yet, but just get the name brand stuff.  Don't be a cheap ass like me.  All over what, $40?  bet the cheap gun wasn't that much cheaper.

Cheap grease gun is now in the landfill.  I'm a way happier camper.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#38]

So, doing everything the same way on the Lincoln I bought as on the cheap parts store one, it went way better on the Lincoln.  Which for anyone following along, was not that much more.  Haven't had to reload it yet, but just get the name brand stuff.  Don't be a cheap ass like me.  All over what, $40?  bet the cheap gun wasn't that much cheaper.

View Quote

There is a reason Foxtrot08 is the SME.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

And why he was confused about what was happening with my cheap grease gun.  Almost a "It ain't got no gas in it" situation.  Sigh.  Oh well.  Badly made tool works badly.  New one isn't even leaking yet.  Old one lived in a bucket from day one from leaking.  Since as mentioned, it was clearly lacking in the quality department.

But yes, thanks @Foxtrot06 and in case you are curious, I've been using Mystik JT6 number 2, or whatever that all purpose general grease you've recommended for a while.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#40]

And why he was confused about what was happening with my cheap grease gun.  Almost a "It ain't got no gas in it" situation.  Sigh.  Oh well.  Badly made tool works badly.  New one isn't even leaking yet.  Old one lived in a bucket from day one from leaking.  Since as mentioned, it was clearly lacking in the quality department.

But yes, thanks @Foxtrot06 and in case you are curious, I've been using Mystik JT6 number 2, or whatever that all purpose general grease you've recommended for a while.
View Quote

I think I posted this before but I credit that same oil for keeping my wheel bearings alive when I had a wire fault that caused one axle's brakes to drag while driving down the road. I forget the temps now but they were HOT when I pulled over and checked them. Grease failure would have led to bearing failure, then a really bad day on the side of the road.

Thanks again @Foxtrot06 for hanging here!
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top