Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2024 6:22:41 PM EDT
My neighbor gave me this bush hog and I’m looking for information on it. I’d say It’s sat in a building for the last 30 years or so.  It’s a pull type and drive shaft has three joints. Also has two blades, three belts, and it’s around 5ft wide.  I think it’s similar to a woods c80 or d80, but depending on year they vary.

I’m planning on greasing it up, checking gear box fluid and running it. Will likely need belts also.

Here are the pics.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like a finish mower.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:51:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deerranger] [#2]
First it is not Bush hog, it is "brush hog".
2nd, that is a finnish mower not a brush hog.
Looks like a good mower, check the oil in the gear box, grease it up and sharpen the blades, it should last you years, may have to change the belts. New finnish mowers cost a freaking fortune these days.
You got gold there!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
That looks like a finish mower.
View Quote

Originally Posted By deerranger:
Looks like a good mower, check the oil in the gear box, grease it up and sharpen the blades, it should last you years, may have to change the belts. New finnish mowers cost a freaking fortune these days.
You got gold there!
View Quote

Thanks for the information fellas. The guy that gave it to me used it as a ‘brush’ hog, but I agree it’s a finish mower.  I’ve been trying to find a pic of one like it but the skirts are different on the woods c80 or d80 pics I can find. The pulleys and bracket that the gear box sits on look identical though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You said you were going to check the gearbox fluid, but just change it. If checking meant you were going to change it, sorry. After that long there is bound to be some condensation in it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:04:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
You said you were going to check the gearbox fluid, but just change it. If checking meant you were going to change it, sorry. After that long there is bound to be some condensation in it.
View Quote

Oh yea it will be flushed and changed. I probably won’t use this thing that often, I just like messing with old stuff. But I will get it right so it can be used.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:52:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#6]
You got gold there!
View Quote

I know this is a tech forum and won't be arguing semantics, but I will call a spade a spade. Bush Hog, the name started by the inventor of tractor powered rotary cutters for "brush" or bush, is a perfectly acceptable term for such a mower, especially with the name still used today as a leading manufacturerof said equipment, and it is synonymous with the mowers. Your criticism of the term is out of place. And the mower the OP has is a finish mower, not a Finnish mower...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
I know this is a tech forum and won't be arguing semantics, but I will call a spade a spade. Bush Hog, the name started by the inventor of tractor powered rotary cutters for "brush" or bush, is a perfectly acceptable term for such a mower, especially with the name still used today as a leading manufacturerof said equipment, and it is synonymous with the mowers. Your criticism of the term is out of place. And the mower the OP has is a finish mower, not a Finnish mower...
View Quote

Right, wrong or indifferent, "bush" hog and "brush" hog are used interchangibly in my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Update.  I talked to the man that gave it to me. He said it is a woods. He said he got it used sometime in the 70’s and it was in bad shape. He said he built a whole new deck and bolted everything back up to it (which explains why the side skirts don’t match that of the original flared woods. He also said the last time he used it was in 1993 or so.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
You got gold there!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top