Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2024 12:23:32 PM EDT
Just received and restored a 100 year old pressure canner and am starting to compile recipes and ideas for this summer. Have been water bath canning all my life but never pressure canned until now. We garden, hunt, and generally try to make everything ourselves. Here is the list of what is in the plans so far:
-meat (ground and chunks)
-black, pinto, and baked beans
-homemade ketchup
-enchilada sauce
-stew
-chicken (family member raises them).

What do you enjoy having on hand the most? Please feel free to share any links to recipes, ideas, etc.

Pic of great grandma's old (and now new) National No. 7
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing I'll say is don't get in a hurry and rush things. I have a friend who cans a lot and he got in a hurry with his pressure canner during the cool down stage. It cost him a trip to the hospital and messed up his kitchen pretty bad. He said you can buy a lot of beans for what the hospital trip cost.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
In addition to some of what you already listed, here's what we made in the pressure canner last summer/fall.
Tomato sauce
diced/stewed tomatoes
green beans
sweet corn

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Some things we like to pressure can:

Green beans
Corn
Ground venison
Pork tenderloin
Greens
Peas
Potatoes

I struggle with justifying Potatoes.   On one hand it's super nice to dump a jar in a pot to supplement a quick meal.  On the other hand they are a lot of work to can and they store good without being canned.   I'll typically do no more than 7  quarts a year.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:21:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#4]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:49:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hillbilly62] [#5]
Nice canner OP.

Green Beans
Corn
Kale
Pickles
Peppers
Tomato Juice
Pizza Sauce
Salsa

Pork
Chicken
Ground Beef
Chili

We use to can deer meat.

We can all our preserves (strawberry/backberry/peach) in lieu of water bath.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
All of our venison trim gets canned.  

We also do pickles, pickled beets, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, jams/jellies/preserves.  We don't pressure can everything though.  

Canned venison is awesome.  Takes up no freezer space.  Lasts 10+ years.  You can make just about anything with it like ground beef except stuff like burgers/meat loaf.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I like to pressure can

venison
Wild game burger
salmon
smoked salmon
tuna
soups
broth

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 220:
The only thing I'll say is don't get in a hurry and rush things. I have a friend who cans a lot and he got in a hurry with his pressure canner during the cool down stage. It cost him a trip to the hospital and messed up his kitchen pretty bad. He said you can buy a lot of beans for what the hospital trip cost.
View Quote

Zero reason to rush -- hope your friend is okay!

Will likely continue to freeze most veggies and water bath most tomato products but am excited to be able to do more things.  Do not plan to do potatoes, we store them cold and they last a long time as it is. Maybe a few for camping.

Keep the recommendations coming guys!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Chicken broth.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I will can mostly poultry, broths and soups with a little beef added if I can get it at a good price.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#13]
We have a lot of kokanee salmon in this area.  I remove the heads and fins after cleaning and give them an hour of cold smoke over alder.  Then I cut the fish into chucks (skin and bones included) and can them with no more seasoning than salt. We call it Smokanee.  We eat it on salads, in omelets, plain, or mixed with cream cheese as a dip.  It is one of our favorites.

I have been canning all of my wild meats using this strategy.  When hunting season comes around, anything left in the freezer from the prior year gets canned.  Great way to clear out room in the freezer and keep the frozen meats rotated and fresh.  We will add hot peppers to some, garlic to some and keep some plain.  I don't can any grind, chunked meat only, it shreds really well after being cooked that long and hot.  Also, it canning is a great way to use stuff like shank.  The canning process breaks down the tough meat and the fascia really well and produces a tender flexible use canned meat with minimal trimming prep.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By squirrel_herder:
We have a lot of kokanee salmon in this area.  I remove the heads and fins after cleaning and give them an hour of cold smoke over alder.  Then I cut the fish into chucks (skin and bones included) and can them with no more seasoning than salt. We call it Smokanee.  We eat it on salads, in omelets, plain, or mixed with cream cheese as a dip.  It is one of our favorites.

I have been canning all of my wild meats using this strategy.  When hunting season comes around, anything left in the freezer from the prior year gets canned.  Great way to clear out room in the freezer and keep the frozen meats rotated and fresh.  We will add hot peppers to some, garlic to some and keep some plain.  I don't can any grind, chunked meat only, it shreds really well after being cooked that long and hot.  Also, it canning is a great way to use stuff like shank.  The canning process breaks down the tough meat and the fascia really well and produces a tender flexible use canned meat with minimal trimming prep.
View Quote

Nice.
I dont have any fish, but I can meats as chunk meats also, raw pack chicken is especially useful. But I also can soups and stews, meals in a jar.  Chicken soup, Venison Stew, sloppy joe meat sauce etc.
All good. No freezer required!
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:44:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#15]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
OP, I have two old pressure canners from my mom.

Did you do the refurb yourself?  Or did you send it off somewhere?  (Is it just new seals?)

View Quote

Did it myself. Disassembled completely, refurbed the wood handles, bought new stainless hardware,  polished the outside, boiled the inside with vinegar, did a new steam dial, regulator, and overpressure plug and a new seal.

It came out to about $100 to make it "better than new" but that also included a spare seal and a spare overpressure plug as well since I'm a sucker for keeping spares on hand and redundancies.

Now the dial basically helps read how the pressure is coming along and the regulator takes care of the pressure. I'll never need to worry about overpressure,
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CatskillDraht:

Nice.
I dont have any fish, but I can meats as chunk meats also, raw pack chicken is especially useful. But I also can soups and stews, meals in a jar.  Chicken soup, Venison Stew, sloppy joe meat sauce etc.
All good. No freezer required!
View Quote

I have never canned birds.  Wild turkey is pretty tough most of ways I have cooked it. I'll bet that canning would tender it up.  The season is about to open, I'll give it a go. I'm thinking habanero chipotle turkey sounds about right.  Now I'm excited to try it.  Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:54:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#18]

That's cool.  Did you get your parts/supplies from the company that made your canner?

Also, what did you use to polish the outside?  I would not have guessed it was old, except the handles gave it away!  (I'm a sucker for old things.  I would prefer them, a lot of times, to new things.)
View Quote

Yes, I ordered the parts straight from Presto, which used to be National many decades ago. The outside of the lid was polished with Mothers on a powerball/drill. I only polished the lid and left the bottom as- is. Took very little time and effort and was worth it to get it looking nice again.

(ETA realized I repeated myself here ) All in cost for the refurb was just over $100 which included a new "jar tray," two sets of seals, two sets of overpressure plugs, the steam gauge and weighted regulator with stem, plus new stainless hardware for the handles. Redundancy/safety and no babysitting it is nice. I agree with your desire for old things- i'd much rather spend that on a classic than $150 or more on a new stamped one with no character. Besides that, it's cool to keep my great grandmother's tools in use.

Just did a dozen quarts of baked beans the other day with free beans straight from a local farmer last year, they turned out excellent. Did 16 pints of black beans last weekend too.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
Pickles are a good thing to can. Our favorite is a low sugar bread and butter pickle. Those things are like crack when you put them on a sandwich. I got the recipe from a youtube video.
View Quote

We do a ton of pickles in the water bath. I started fermented pickles last year and will pressure can some of them this year for sure - they're awesome!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
I've never done fermented pickles, but they do sound good. Might have to give them a try. It's not like I don't end up with 87,000 extra cucumbers every year.
View Quote

They are extremely easy. Wash well, cut off the bloom, pack in a jar with fermentation lid/spring or weights, cover in brine and let sit 1-3 weeks, then refrigerate. I will not be eating "normal" home canned pickels during cucumber season at all moving forward, just making batches of these as they come in.

Ball has a recipe and their fermentation jars come with it in the little booklet. FWIW I also ferment peppers in the jars to make hot sauce
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I really wanted to get into this like 2 years ago. I saw some recipes for mini meatballs and another for just basically seasoned ground beef. Both seem like a great way to meat up dinner without trying too hard.

I am eating carnivore now and hearing that I can use this to prep meat that doesn't need storage really appeals to me....
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:19:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#23]
We do between600 and 800 quarts of pasta sauce, and diced tomato's, cabbage, venison, chili, apple sauce, apple slices, Roma beans, salsas about anything, we have 3 full-size canners and a short one, newest is 54 years old.

Every 2 or 3 years we will do 125 pounds of sausage balls
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#24]
Originally Posted By bansil:
We do between600 and 800 quarts of pasta sauce, and diced tomato's, cabbage, venison, chili, apple sauce, apple slices, Roma beans, salsas about anything, we have 3 full-size canners and a short one, newest is 54 years old.

Every 2 or 3 years we will do 125 pounds of sausage balls
View Quote

That is a lot! Not sure how many jars we average per year with water bath but not close to that, most of our stuff is frozen currently.

Today's test project: refried beans.Attachment Attached File

Found a recipe online, absolutely excellent flavor though they're not strictly "traditional." If you just care that they taste good and aren't stuck on being a purist, give these a try! Link
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#26]

That looks amazing!  I have never successfully made refried beans that we like.

This looks not so hard.

View Quote

It is easy. I make them from scratch at home and they are way better than canned from a store...not even in the same league, actually.  Canning them is the next logical step of course. If you've never had good ones give these a try!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

That is a lot! Not sure how many jars we average per year with water bath but not close to that, most of our stuff is frozen currently.

Today's test project: refried beans.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481528/1000004191_jpg-3181306.JPG

Found a recipe online, absolutely excellent flavor though they're not strictly "traditional." If you just care that they taste good and aren't stuck on being a purist, give these a try! Link
View Quote

Thanks for the lead
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Pressure canner, I currently only do lamb stew and bone broth.  Most of the bone broth gets used to bribe a picky dog to eat, some of it gets used for the lamb stew.

Fermented pickle comment reminded me my wife met a dude who like fermented eggs, and I told her that she was under direct orders to finagle the recipe from him, even if I have to bribe with good lamb meat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I mainly do smoked salmon and smoked albacore tuna, neither of which I enjoy the typical canned while raw (too mushy).   Mild low temp smoke to firm it up and add flavor, then canned….amazingly good.

Justifies those long trips offshore chasing tuna too!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Hen of the woods mushrooms
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top