Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2023 10:49:20 PM EDT
Just a quick question about cold weather. Ours is a 2018 Imagine and is currently 3hrs away. It's supposed to get down into the mid 20's for lows this upcoming Mon & Tues night, and mid 40's for highs there.

Before we left two weekends ago I opened the low point drains, drained the water, drained the water heater, opened faucets, and poured some antifreeze down the P traps in the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower.   I also disconnected the water hose.     I'm thinking it'll be ok until I get there in 2 weeks.     What do you all think?  Vent are open and it's under our pole barn.

Weather changed and wasn't expecting this.   Go figure.

Appreciate any opinions.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Will probably be ok. Sink and shower hoses will get you maybe.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#2]
You should be fine. I had one freeze up solid many years ago and the only thing that happened was the water heater tank busted. The dealer forgot they were supposed to winterize it when I took it in for warranty work and fixed it on their dime.

I'm not as worried about winterizing after that but I do still blow out the lines and put antifreeze in the drains.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#3]
You should have pumped the pink into you water lines. If you have problems it will be at the plastic elbows and connectors.  Most campers use Pex these days but the connections, most fittings, and elbows are plastic.  Any residual water there could be a problem.  Hope you’re okay.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I’d make the trip to pump the antifreeze into it. I had an elbow freeze and crack a few years ago (forgot to pump it through the outdoor shower) and it took me at least 8 hours to get to it and replace it.

We’ve been camping when it got that low at night, but we also had heat on inside.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably OK,however same thing happened to me in my TH about 5 yrs ago.

I did loose the kitchen sink faucet and outside shower mixer,both were an easy fix and not expensive.

The difference was I had not opened those faucets.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I would be concerned about the 12V water pump, unless it was drained also.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all.    Had a pal run by and just open the low points again, and leave them open.  Also opened every faucet.

I think it'll be alright being it's above freezing during the day, and not for long periods at night.     If anything breaks I'll report back
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prae:
Thanks all.    Had a pal run by and just open the low points again, and leave them open.  Also opened every faucet.

I think it'll be alright being it's above freezing during the day, and not for long periods at night.     If anything breaks I'll report back
View Quote

When you open the low points and all the faucets.  Also remove the screen from the city fill and push in the check valve with your finger.  It will help drain the system a little faster and insure there is not water in the fill pipe.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 11:21:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prae] [#9]
Well, just closing the loop.   Got their Fri and winterized properly Sat AM before heading home.  All was fine and she's completely ready for a winters nap.   Thanks all.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prae:
Well, just closing the loop.   Got their Fri and winterized properly Sat AM before heading home.  All was fine and she's completely ready for a winters nap.   Thanks all.
View Quote

Good deal!  I am dealing with a new to me camper that while not full of water and mostly drained was not winterized.

So far I have replaced the 12V pump, toilet flush valve, and the external air port that you can use to blow air in, or as a hose outlet.  Still have to fix the hot water heater in the spring.
Top Top