Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2024 2:46:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a 700 gallon (8’ diameter) stock tank from tractor supply for my grandkids to use when they visit. Have all the pool stuff, treatment kit, chlorine tabs, floating chlorine tab holder, vaccuum (garden hose hookup uses water pressure), skimmer pole, and a nice little Hayward sand filter that keeps it sparkling clear a summer. Of course, I drilled out the holes for the filter in and out connections. what a great little pool! Nice and refreshing on a hot afternoon for me too!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hillcountry] [#2]
You can use your little “tubbby” if you want but why not go whole hog and do something better? 😊 I didn’t “need” the filter of course but I found it at a pool supply store and it fit the size perfectly…overkill, actually but I like it.
I’m moving the pool to my grandkids house this summer so her mom can deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:19:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
I'm thinking about getting one of these, either 150gal or 300gal, to use as a *pool* for just me. I'd figure out some kind of cover to keep it clean, but can you put bleach in these to stop algae growth and any other nastiness?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51036/300gal_Stock_Tank-3175679.jpg

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rubbermaid-structural-foam-stock-tanks-300-gal-capacity
View Quote
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, except turning into a wood fired hot tub.  I have a filter with water hose ends, I just need a pump and, of course, the stock tank.  Haven't decided on the 150 vs. 300 gallon version yet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:43:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
So you agree that the bleach wouldn't hurt the tank, and would keep it from getting slimy? I could spend more time outside this Summer, if I had a cool place to sit.
View Quote
I used to own a pool at my old house from 1998-2014.  I routinely shocked the shit out of it with chlorine to keep it clean and to keep anyone - especially kids - from getting sick from something bad in it.  Slime is a form of algae.

Chlorine in pools is like ham and eggs or biscuits and gravy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to the big box store od your choice and get a 10 dollar piece of copper rod. I clean out my goats tank twice a year with a copper rod in it. Without almost weekly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't want metal, because they rust/corrode and all that, and I want to keep it simple. I figured on having to pour a little bleach in every week (no idea how much), but I didn't know if it would damage the tank material.

Edit - The plan is to put it about where those pavers are, towards the top/right of this pic. It would be straight out from the steps.

https://i.postimg.cc/pddWYDsQ/2024-1-23-Ramp-Lights.jpg

View Quote

Mine is 5 years out in the open and no rust whatsoever…you do you though…
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#13]
How big is that? I have a little bit of 1/2" copper pipe.
View Quote

The one I got is prolly 36 inches long and 1/2 inch. I've heard I could have bought smaller and still had good results.

@67Firebird
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#14]
If covered, would moss grow?  I use copper sulfate to kill moss in an irrigation pit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree about the metal tank. I learned to swim in one and my daughter learned in the same one. No rust ever.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Dunno about how clear it would keep it sans the filtration you have with a normal pool filter thing.

But there are a variety of stock tank cleaner things, both liquid and in tablet form we've used that seem to help reduce growth in the water.  No promises on being healthy for you, but if it ain't bad for both the pet hay burners and the livestock, I wouldn't worry personally.  That said, I do my soaking inside in a tub with a beer and a book.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#18]

I get that, but I'm inside most of the time. I'm trying to get outside more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By haveTwo:
...I do my soaking inside in a tub with a beer and a book.

I get that, but I'm inside most of the time. I'm trying to get outside more.

No judgement here... from what I've seen, if it's fine for livestock, it's fine for the people who eat livestock.  Even if it ain't my jam.  So hit your local feed store, and don't tell them too much at first.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:00:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Get a Small filter and treat the water like a swimming pool it will be fine. Stock tanks can handle bleach or whateverAmazon pool filter
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Spa chemicals will keep the water clean enough for a while, filtration would help them work better though. They can be purchased in smaller quantities than pool chemicals, they are pretty much the same thing though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top