Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 10:10:29 AM EDT
Looking for some insight or experience here.  I have a l3710 and need to rake and pile/push brush/slash on a recent clear cut.  There are no large logs, just some small tops and sticks. I would have to go slow and contend with larger stumps but they are spaced out. I’ve got my eyes on a Rake Grapple as well as a simple debri/root rake. The hang up here is how wide of a rake should I get with either of these? The rear tires are 72” outside to outside (if that matters). I’m stuck between a 66” and 72” rake/rake grapple.

Here is the debri/rake I’m looking at 550lbs for a 72” or 500lbs for a 66” (Titan has one but it’s 1/2” tines at 409lbs and made in China).   Or a rake type grapple like a wrlong.    Either way, the question is how wide to go with either option? Cover the rear wheel tracks or go down to a 66” for a little less weight and maneuverability?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a 55” wide on my MX and M4, M4 is set at 84” wide now.  I’ve never felt it was too narrow, on the contrary it’s frustratingly wide.  I have a single lid, if it was dual I might feel different but it’s really hard to get a solid hold on the material with one side always being too loose while the other is clamped down hard.  It’s also really heavy, 540# I think and if I’m grabbing logs it’s very easy to max out the MX lift or make it unstable because you’re always trying to do this stuff in non flat/even terrain it seems.  If I was going to buy a new grapple I would look hard at something like the frost bite which I’m sure would grab all the brush I want and not be excessively heavy and hard on my tractor.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
I use a 55” wide on my MX and M4, M4 is set at 84” wide now.  I’ve never felt it was too narrow, on the contrary it’s frustratingly wide.  I have a single lid, if it was dual I might feel different but it’s really hard to get a solid hold on the material with one side always being too loose while the other is clamped down hard.  It’s also really heavy, 540# I think and if I’m grabbing logs it’s very easy to max out the MX lift or make it unstable because you’re always trying to do this stuff in non flat/even terrain it seems.  If I was going to buy a new grapple I would look hard at something like the frost bite which I’m sure would grab all the brush I want and not be excessively heavy and hard on my tractor.
View Quote

Thanks for the information. Those frost bite grapples look like the ticket for logs and large items without sacrificing much weight capacity. I’d never heard of them before.

When looking at the clear cut it seems like I won’t really be grabbing and moving the brush to another area via picking it up. I’m thinking I will be able to essentially push/rake  1/3-1/2 acre areas or so into manageable piles for burning.  This is why I’m looking at rakes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

Thanks for the information. Those frost bite grapples look like the ticket for logs and large items without sacrificing much weight capacity. I’d never heard of them before.

When looking at the clear cut it seems like I won’t really be grabbing and moving the brush to another area via picking it up. I’m thinking I will be able to essentially push/rake  1/3-1/2 acre areas or so into manageable piles for burning.  This is why I’m looking at rakes.
View Quote

If that is your purpose I would say don’t do it with your tractor. FELs are made to pick things straight up and put them straight down.  They are horrible for pushing, especially if there could lateral forces. They just get torn up fast.  Rent a skid steer or dozer for the work you describe.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Ratchet Rake use to be often mentioned but I haven't checked in awhile.
https://www.ratchetrake.com/

One thing important to remember is never tilt the FEL down when going backwards. You can bend the tilt cylinder rods.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I would not even put that root rake on my 65hp tractor. It is designed for a tracked machine.

I would get a 3 point rake at least as wide as the tractors rear wheels and drag that around.

I have been looking at these. They seem to be built very well.

https://igniteattachments.com/rakes/compact-tractor-rakes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top