Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2024 8:58:08 AM EDT
So I have a 4' x 8' raised bed in the backyard that I use to grow tomatoes and peppers.  I have tried other things in the past, some successful, some not.  I want to grow something else this year in addition to my peppers and tomatoes.  I do square foot gardening, so whatever it is can't have too much space, cucumbers are out.  I was thinking red onions but not sure how much space they need.  My wife always requests brussel sprouts and I tried them a few years ago without much success.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Okra. Grows vertically, so low square footage requirements. High yielding, so only 1 or 2 plants needed.

But I guess it depends on how you really feel about gumbo and pickling.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Okra. Grows vertically, so low square footage requirements. High yielding, so only 1 or 2 plants needed.

But I guess it depends on how you really feel about gumbo and pickling.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion!  I've actually never knowingly had okra (may have been an ingredient in something I have eaten) so I don't know the exact taste.  Tell me about Okra?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jb1001:

Thanks for the suggestion!  I've actually never knowingly had okra (may have been an ingredient in something I have eaten) so I don't know the exact taste.  Tell me about Okra?
View Quote

Ever had fried squash or tomatoes? Similar but different taste. I don't like boiled or pickled okra. Cut them about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide shake them in a bag with flour and cornmeal. Down here in the south the cornmeal is mandatory LOL. Love the crunch.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Okra has a lot of mucilage in it - great gor thickening stuff (gumbo, etc.), but has a slimy mouth feel. Acid cuts that, so making it with tomatoes and pickling are traditional dishes. Heat and breading helps too, hence the deep frying.

Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on okra - it's a good resource if you can find it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have the Mel Bartholomew square foot gardening book?    That might be a good source for ideas.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By pedaler:
Do you have the Mel Bartholomew square foot gardening book?    That might be a good source for ideas.
View Quote

I don't have his book but I got his idea from a different gardening book.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Garlic - plant in the fall, harvest the next summer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
Garlic - plant in the fall, harvest the next summer.
View Quote

Have definitely considered it, but I consider the space wasted during the summer.  I could have producing plants there.  That is always my rationale.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Okra will shade, so plant towards the rear of the box
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#10]
you can grow bidens.... crappy vegetable and takes a lot of money
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#11]
Plant spaghetti squash in a corner and let it spread on the ground outside of the box, maybe 2-1/2 sf of planter, and it lasts a long time sitting on the counter
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Fiddleheads ..... best thing I ate while living in the NE
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I put carrots and onions between lots of larger plants.  Even if they are partly shaded and don't grow to normal size they'll still take up some unused space and won't shade your peppers/tomatoes.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]
What kind of peppers do you grow?

Any sweet flavorings?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
i put in way too many extra raised beds during covid and now im the big juicy target of every ground hog raccoon rabbit skunk etc within 10 miles it seems.  tried switching to mostly carrots for juicing and had to til them under last year due to bad seed.

the carrots were not edible and tasted poisonous no matter what we did to them. was told to set em in fridge for weeks that didnt help em either. the seed was so bad we took pics of weeds and flowers growing out of the tops of carrots that didnt look right. previous carrots turned out perfect. anyone know where to buy good carrot seed?

fire grilled green tomatoes and steak with peppers grilled in the garden is about as good as it gets in my book. i grew up on a large produce farm and ive never heard of carrots putting on seed flowers and weeds as they start to mature. even the local farmers said it wasnt right. be very careful the seed you buy these days! dont get the big box store brands apparently.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AK47_COMMBLOC:
i put in way too many extra raised beds during covid and now im the big juicy target of every ground hog raccoon rabbit skunk etc within 10 miles it seems.  tried switching to mostly carrots for juicing and had to til them under last year due to bad seed.

the carrots were not edible and tasted poisonous no matter what we did to them. was told to set em in fridge for weeks that didnt help em either. the seed was so bad we took pics of weeds and flowers growing out of the tops of carrots that didnt look right. previous carrots turned out perfect. anyone know where to buy good carrot seed?

fire grilled green tomatoes and steak with peppers grilled in the garden is about as good as it gets in my book. i grew up on a large produce farm and ive never heard of carrots putting on seed flowers and weeds as they start to mature. even the local farmers said it wasnt right. be very careful the seed you buy these days! dont get the big box store brands apparently.
View Quote

Planted some the year before, a lot of different colors, they looked good but We thought they were poisonous also, last regular carrots did good so it wasn't the dirt, that's what I was afraid of., dirt poisoning
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
What kind of peppers do you grow?

Any sweet flavorings?
View Quote

Mostly just hot stuff but a few bigger heatless varieties for stuffed peppers and such.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Don't you have a support for the north side of your Square Foot Garden, to grow vertically?

You can definitely do cucumbers, or melons, or any other thing that will climb.
View Quote

Only thing I grow vertically are the tomatoes, that's as much as I want to do support wise.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Mostly just hot stuff but a few bigger heatless varieties for stuffed peppers and such.
View Quote

Red cherry peppers would get my vote then.  Taste like a bell pepper but are small enough you can pickle.  That is when they taste awesome.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#21]
If you haven't tried swiss chard give it a go.  I planted it a few years ago and it produced all summer where kale would have bolted, then kept going through a few light frosts without dying off until after a really solid freeze.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By number40Fan:

Red cherry peppers would get my vote then.  Taste like a bell pepper but are small enough you can pickle.  That is when they taste awesome.
View Quote

Interesting, I will check those out, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
If you haven't tried swiss chard give it a go.  I planted it a few years ago and it produced all summer where kale would have bolted, then kept going through a few light frosts without dying off until after a really solid freeze.
View Quote

Leafy stuff has never really done well for me in the past.  Hate to burn up space experimenting.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I am growing asparagus in a 4x4 foot section of raised bed. I have about 90 roots planted. I planted 30 a year the past 3 years and they are producing now.

They said it couldn’t be done in Alabama. My pee has been rank for 2 months now LOL
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Leafy stuff has never really done well for me in the past.  Hate to burn up space experimenting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

It's the only leafy veggie that's done well for me, which is why I suggested it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Lemon Cucumbers, easy and tasty.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Bochow.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone grow onions?  How is that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top