Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 10:43:24 PM EDT
I’ve been wanting to try one of these for awhile.  Picked one up online for $100 + shipping.  These seem useful for cooking a meal while camping off grid or boiling water in lieu of a larger fire or propane fueled heating source.  It ran off small sticks that I collected from my yard.  It took about 18 minutes to bring this pot of cold water to a boil.  

I think it could be useful for camping and not a bad backup to the backup.  Any tips or tricks from the hive on these kind of stoves?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
Silver Fire Rocket Stove (A prepping and Survival must have)

Building a basic rocket stove for beginners
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a couple of grates from an old gas stove to put over the top, plus a couple of other options like wire mesh or even a grill grate.

You can also get some metal rods and cut notches in the top to let you lay them across to do meat directly on them.

Rocket stoves take lots of poking and tending but most of the time you are right there anyway and people buy them because they like to tinker with fire.

You can use charcoal in them as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Get a couple of grates from an old gas stove to put over the top, plus a couple of other options like wire mesh or even a grill grate.

You can also get some metal rods and cut notches in the top to let you lay them across to do meat directly on them.

Rocket stoves take lots of poking and tending but most of the time you are right there anyway and people buy them because they like to tinker with fire.

You can use charcoal in them as well.

View Quote

Thanks for that.  I will try charcoal for sure.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Got one of these a couple months back from one of the deal threads. I have only used it a little bit. It does take near constant feeding. So far, it’s not something I can put a pot of water on and go do something else while it boils.
It’s also bulky and heavy-ish. Good for the back yard or car camping.

I’ll be subscribing so I can learn more myself.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
where did you get that version OP?

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
where did you get that version OP?

ROCK6

View Quote

Ebay
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Suggest searching You Tube for Mark Young, and type in "Rocket Stove" in Channel Search function.

He's very thorough and meticulous, having lots of experience with many different types of stoves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top