Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2022 8:12:04 PM EDT
The boat i bought this year came with a nice dipped galvanized trailer. I like to lay up spare parts for anything i own, so i want to get a spare set of bearings and seals for this trailer's axles. I've never seen this sort of rubber torsion axle hub before.

Attachment Attached File

It is a Knott brand torsion axle with single roller bearings. A long roller bearing.  I've only ever dealt with axles with thrust bearings. I'm curious as to how this roller bearing system holds up in comparison. This is a submersible boat trailer, so water infiltration is what causes the most issue.

Thanks.

I
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for a timely post.  When I drove down from Alaska I towed my boat on an oil filled hub EZ trailer, I guess it'd be a good idea on my part to change the oil and check seals and bearings.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Interesting. I've never seen one of those and I've done

hundreds of boat trailer bearings in my time.

When it comes to standard taper bearing hubs, I recommend

buying a complete loaded hub to carry with you. Pounding bearing

races out on the side of the road sucks.

Also keep some seals and bearing sets at home.

Here looks like their site.
View Quote

Yeah, i think that is their site,  but i saw no option for parts, just axles.  My internet searches on the brand name show they are European.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
Thanks for a timely post.  When I drove down from Alaska I towed my boat on an oil filled hub EZ trailer, I guess it'd be a good idea on my part to change the oil and check seals and bearings.
View Quote

Yeah, it is a good idea. A few years ago i built a light kayak trailer. Prior to a 250 mile beach trip, i checked and regreased the bearings. I usually never submerged that trailer for launches, but i did three times that week on the beach for convenience. When i got back, one of the spindles and bearing sets was ruined. That hub's seal had sprung a leak. The saltwater did a number on it on the 250 miles back.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:17:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flysc] [#5]
Deleted dupe
Top Top