Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2023 7:39:40 PM EDT
Looking at some cool recreational drones. The DJI mini 4 seems cool, but i wouldnt mind spending a little more for a better camera and get the DJI air 3 or something of the sort. Is there a down and dirty rule of thumb for any sort of licenses or certs I would need to get a drone heavier than the mini 4? Are there any other recommended drones? Id use it for exploring while camping. Possibly recon for SHTF; etc
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 7:51:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the DJI mini Pro 3 and I love it, Flys itself. I paid a bunch of money for it and I saw them at Costco yesterday for half the money. Must be a surplus out there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 8:18:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#3]
I fly manually operated freestyle FPV drone with goggles. home built from parts and no gps or other tracking BS. FFAA. I have a old mini 2 that its a lot for the money but I never use it. its a flying tripod. if you want to shoot great looking video DJI is basically the only realistic answer, if you want to FLY you dont want anything to do with them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Air 3. A step up from the mini, the two camera setup is great, plus front and rear collision  sensors. Easy to fly and about 45 minutes of battery time. I really like mine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 11:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#5]
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:02:06 AM EDT
[#7]
appreciate the responses so far. i really like the idea of an air 3 with the dual camera. Apparently the cert is free now and only takes 30 mins according to the website. I dont like the idea of registering it but it is what it is. At least its not a gun registration.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:09:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Phiers] [#8]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I fly manually operated freestyle FPV drone with goggles. home built from parts and no gps or other tracking BS. FFAA. I have a old mini 2 that its a lot for the money but I never use it. its a flying tripod. if you want to shoot great looking video DJI is basically the only realistic answer, if you want to FLY you dont want anything to do with them.
View Quote

Yeah, it wouldnt be for racing. It would be for mapping terrain, scouting, exploring, etc. Ive visited some drone racing shops before and understand what those are about. Im looking for a flying go-pro. Now if it had FLIR, we would really be talking.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 4:11:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sierra5:

Trust has always been free, registering the drone is $5.  

Part 107 is $175 for the test and whatever you spend on study material/programs.
View Quote

I understand. I dont plan on ever making money off the drone so im not worried about part 107. Still, its good info though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top