Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2023 6:20:20 PM EDT
Northeast cold weather semi auto shotgun lubricant of choice and why?  Ready go!
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:30:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wingsnthings] [#1]
ATF , yup, auto matic  transmission fluid.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Benelli oil
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:43:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wingsnthings] [#3]
I got tired of paying the premium for "gun"cleaners and lubricants. I found the old recipe for Ed's Red. ATF, various distillates to thin out and lanolin for rust resistance and your hands. I substitute Coleman lantern fuel (heptane) for the turpentine, mineral spirits and acetone. It won't remove copper fouling but it cleans and lubricates. ATF has to work at high and low temps, extreme pressure in the gears and not damage synthetic seals. And it's not $hundreds per quart like gun specific products.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not use CLP?
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#5]
As mentioned, Eds Red in a 5 oz Ronsonal lighter fluid container tucked into the blind bag.
This is for a 930 Mossberg and 1100 used on sandbars and lay out boat hunting on the Great lakes.
Never had any exposure to salt water, so I can't comment on it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a very light application of FP-10 after cleaning.
For in field high volume cleaning/lube i keep a can of CLP in the blind bag.  Those mornings where you're shooting into a ton of snow geese the gun tends to need a shot of CLP here and there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top