Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2024 9:34:12 PM EDT
We live rural.  Not really far out from the nearest town but the nearest town isn't a large town either.  Keep hoping they will run fiber to my area but still don't have it and no sign it'll be here any time soon.  We have a local internet supplier and it comes into the house via a wireless access point.  The antenna/radio looks like a small satellite dish...but isn't satellite internet.  It's ok service but not great.  

Been thinking of going to StarLink.  StarLink has much faster rated speeds than our current provider.  If we go to StarLink, we'll drop satellite TV and go to all streaming programming.  StarLink is more expensive per month than the current internet provider and we'd have to pay for a few more streaming services than we currently have but we'd drop the overpriced satellite TV and in the end save money.   There is a fairly large up front cost but we can afford it without an issue.  

Any experiences with StarLink?  

I know a couple people with StarLink and they love it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Parents have it and they are out in the boonies.

Huge improvement over their DSL that they had.

They can actually stream a movie now without it buffering every few seconds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m on Starlink now. It’s the best move I ever made for reliable internet service.

Previously, all my internet came in through cellular and I had to have a yagi to hold the signal. It was usually functional but fairly slow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Very good service, easily beats speed to local ISP via wifi tower, and at least equal in reliability, probably better.  3 months in we have kept the wifi account but I'm advocating to cut it since the backup hasn't been needed.

Startup costs are high, dish is one thing, but I needed a mount (actually 2 mounts since the first didn't work but that was mostly my fault), longer cable, ethernet port dongle.  
I also have a Starling mesh satellite that I can't get to work (IM me if someone wants a deal on it).  That sounds kind of bad but really the account and the service have been pretty flawless.

Check your proposed location for a moutning solution and also the view of the sky using their app.  It's usually angled northwest, not straight up or south like a TV dish.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
We have been on it for 4 or so months.  We were on a 5meg local WIFI network similar to what you say you have.  It is run by what use to be a local coop bur they would never upgrade the equipment to get us to at least 10mps...  Once Starlink has come available I jumped on it...  Best thing we ever did as far as Internet goes.  Well worth the $$$$ IMHO.

Wynn
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#7]
We have had  it for a little over a year. The average is about 100 Mbps but it keeps getting faster. My only gripe is that the router only seems to have a good wifi signal in the room with the router. I put in a mesh network and I can even wifi in the barn now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 2:09:56 AM EDT
[#8]
+1

Starlink is frigging awesome a total game changer.  I am going to buy the shit out of the stock when it goes public

Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I installed Starlink last May, we absolutely love it.

Stream, game, surf with no lag or buffering.  Two teenagers at home and no more fights over whose hogging the bandwidth is fantastic.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been on Starlink for a while.  Over 2 years I guess, I have the original round dish.  I've had every iteration of cellular internet you can imagine, and dsl.  Nothing is nearly as reliable and fast as Starlink.  It is not cheap.  But it is rock solid reliable and the speeds have been over 75 down for the past few months for me.  My family has no problems streaming on multiple devices at once.  I work from home, so reliable broadband is as essential as reliable electricity.  I'm very happy and do not see a reason to go to ground based broadband in the future.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:17:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#11]
This is a tech forum.  Please consider whether your post adds to the conversation BEFORE you hit submit.

~~Kitties
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:45:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#13]
Thanks for the input and info. Very much appreciated! Any tricks or issues with install or the supplied router? How hard is it to get internet wirelessly to a detached building? My house and shop have metal siding so wireless signals can have a difficult time.  I would prefer not to run a hard wire from the house to shop if at all possible but ultimately that may be my only option.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:46:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
What do you want to know that the other several thousand positive reviews online won’t tell you?

View Quote

Since you have nothing useful to contribute, please remove yourself from this thread. Thank you.

If you have personal experiences you would like to share, feel free….or not.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#15]
We’re looking at starlink for camping the wife works remotely a lot so it would be good for us in the aspect and talking to others about there experience with it I have heard it’s a year wait for the home set up but only a few weeks for the mobile set up so a lot of people using it for home use just get the mobile set up so there is no long wait
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
We live rural.  Not really far out from the nearest town but the nearest town isn't a large town either.  Keep hoping they will run fiber to my area but still don't have it and no sign it'll be here any time soon.  We have a local internet supplier and it comes into the house via a wireless access point.  The antenna/radio looks like a small satellite dish...but isn't satellite internet.  It's ok service but not great.  

Been thinking of going to StarLink.  StarLink has much faster rated speeds than our current provider.  If we go to StarLink, we'll drop satellite TV and go to all streaming programming.  StarLink is more expensive per month than the current internet provider and we'd have to pay for a few more streaming services than we currently have but we'd drop the overpriced satellite TV and in the end save money.   There is a fairly large up front cost but we can afford it without an issue.  

View Quote

Download the starlink app and check that you've got the proper sky clearances.

It's not quite as good as it was during the beta where I'm at, but it's a game changer and is FAR ahead of the competition.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#17]
My sky had a fair number of obstructions - it equated in the real world to being very annoying for zoom calls that would just drop every minute or two and sometimes having to refresh a page that stopped loading.

Occasionally frustrating but massively better than the alternatives I had at the time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I appreciate the input on the app. I’ll give that a try to see how viable it would be for my location.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DaGoose:

View Quote

Same experience here. Love it in rural Maine. I was pleasantly surprised at nearly no downtime from snowstorms and rare ones from torrential rainstorms, like once a year or so.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Our only internet option was LTE off a tower 7 miles away, that's a backup now. We're pretty rural.

I think because of where we are we got put to the head of the line for Starlink in our area, we've been on it since
April of 2021. It has slowed since we first started, but also gotten more reliable.

The only real outages we experience now are from heavy thunderstorms and the very rare starlink network
issues. I'd sign up again in a heartbeat.

With the more dense satellite constellations, we still have a reliable connection even though we have a little
bit of blockage due to trees (we're in a ponderosa pine forest.)

Link Posted: 1/14/2024 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the input and info. Very much appreciated! Any tricks or issues with install or the supplied router? How hard is it to get internet wirelessly to a detached building? My house and shop have metal siding so wireless signals can have a difficult time.  I would prefer not to run a hard wire from the house to shop if at all possible but ultimately that may be my only option.
View Quote

My install was to literally plug in the two wires and let it set itself.  I later mounted it to the roof for a better line of sight to the satellites.  As far as router distance; I plugged mine into the mesh router system I already had in place so my range extenders are connected to the Starlink equipment.  I have the old original beta version, and I have read that there have been changes and perhaps they no longer have an ethernet connection. My shop is a steel sided building about 100 ft away from the house, and the range extenders I use work okay.  I also have not moved the extenders around to help with the signal. I'm not certain what the current equipment has, but I'm sure a good range extender will work without a cable being run to your shed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:29:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AGraham] [#24]
Installed it at my parents home as my mother is a WFH employee for the last 10 years.

They're in a town of 6k people with only cable service available.

It's been hands down better than the 75mbps under "ideal" conditions they were getting from Spectrum on an coax line.

Speeds were never a concern for them, but it's mind blowing that the latency issues for zoom calls, and uptime / stability that were an issue with physical infrastructure haven't been a problem for over a year with satellites.

I occasionally remote desktop in to fix something on one of their PC's and the improvement is significantly noticeable even from my end.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 57plymouth:

My install was to literally plug in the two wires and let it set itself.  I later mounted it to the roof for a better line of sight to the satellites.  As far as router distance; I plugged mine into the mesh router system I already had in place so my range extenders are connected to the Starlink equipment.  I have the old original beta version, and I have read that there have been changes and perhaps they no longer have an ethernet connection. My shop is a steel sided building about 100 ft away from the house, and the range extenders I use work okay.  I also have not moved the extenders around to help with the signal. I'm not certain what the current equipment has, but I'm sure a good range extender will work without a cable being run to your shed.
View Quote

Thanks!

Do you have a link or a brand for the range extenders you used? Can you explain your equipment set up a little more? I’m capable of setting up the equipment but am not up to date on the latest and greatest equipment on the market and lots of the web sites out there talk in complex tech jargon!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Thanks!
Do you have a link or a brand for the range extenders you used? Can you explain your equipment set up a little more? I’m capable of setting up the equipment but am not up to date on the latest and greatest equipment on the market and lots of the web sites out there talk in complex tech jargon!
Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks!
Thanks!

Basic install was very easy.  The Gen 2 router I have (standard from late 2023) needs an ethernet adapter (https://shop.starlink.com/products/us-consumer-ethernet-adapter-gen2).  This goes between the dish and the wifi router and provides an Ethernet port that I use for connecting to my Netgear Orbi satellite system.  Otherwise the Gen 2 doesn't have an ethernet port, it's wifi only.  I thought I saw notice of a new router coming out soon, which might have that port built in.

I use the satellite mesh network to get out to my shop by bouncing one stop in between at another outbuilding.  I still have the Starlink router available for connections too in the vicinity of the dish, but in theory it could have wifi turned off and just pass through to the mesh system.

I bought a Starlink mesh satellite router but can't get it to connect.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I live rural, so it was dial up through the landline for years up until a few years ago when the electric co-op got fiber,

I got it when available in my area few years back, cost $180 for them to run the lines on the telephone poles to power pole meter for my house, then trench from pole to my house to plug into the so called "wireless" modem in my house.

So it cost $55/month to get thousands of movies stations, wifi and internet.

I was able to get rid of the monthly bills of $10 dialup, $62 direct tv and $70 at&t land line.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:38:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#28]

Since you have nothing useful to contribute, please remove yourself from this thread. Thank you.

If you have personal experiences you would like to share, feel free….or not.
View Quote

~ Removed.

Lighten up, Francis.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Thanks!

Thanks!
View Quote

My mesh is an old TP link set of 3 range extenders.  I am not a tech guru, I took everything out of the box and connected the cables.  That's all I did.  I think I had to enter some passwords.  Probably, knowing how things go these days.  That's all I did, and it works.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

Basic install was very easy.  The Gen 2 router I have (standard from late 2023) needs an ethernet adapter (https://shop.starlink.com/products/us-consumer-ethernet-adapter-gen2).  This goes between the dish and the wifi router and provides an Ethernet port that I use for connecting to my Netgear Orbi satellite system.  Otherwise the Gen 2 doesn't have an ethernet port, it's wifi only.  I thought I saw notice of a new router coming out soon, which might have that port built in.

I use the satellite mesh network to get out to my shop by bouncing one stop in between at another outbuilding.  I still have the Starlink router available for connections too in the vicinity of the dish, but in theory it could have wifi turned off and just pass through to the mesh system.

I bought a Starlink mesh satellite router but can't get it to connect.
View Quote

Awesome thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ndenway1twicetimes:
I live rural, so it was dial up through the landline for years up until a few years ago when the electric co-op got fiber,

I got it when available in my area few years back, cost $180 for them to run the lines on the telephone poles to power pole meter for my house, then trench from pole to my house to plug into the so called "wireless" modem in my house.

So it cost $55/month to get thousands of movies stations, wifi and internet.

I was able to get rid of the monthly bills of $10 dialup, $62 direct tv and $70 at&t land line.
View Quote

I would love to get fiber and was holding out hope they would run it my way. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen any time soon so StarLink is probably my only hope. The current service we have is ok but not nearly good enough to go to all streaming.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
I use it for the RV. As long as you have no obstructions it works great. Easy to set up, which I do each time we move. Only knock I give them is a lack of customer service staff. If you are struggling with it you are pretty much on your own.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:56:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#33]

My mesh is an old TP link set of 3 range extenders.  I am not a tech guru, I took everything out of the box and connected the cables.  That's all I did.  I think I had to enter some passwords.  Probably, knowing how things go these days.  That's all I did, and it works.
View Quote

How far does your system reach?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#34]
My shop is roughly 100 ft from the house
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DaGoose:

View Quote

This. I pay 90 a month (30 more than fiber when I lived in town) but the speed is legitimately fast. DSL was painful one screen on Netflix and that was it:-/, now I can download bandits gate 3, while running Hulu,
Netflix, and pandora ar same time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Works good in Rural Alaska.

Only real knock is the wires do get brittle in the cold.
So secure them well.
Slather a little electrical grease on the dish side and it will keep the water/moisture out.
Keep the heater off till you really need it.

Also the starlink router signal is not the strongest.

Always have a spare wire.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#38]

How far does your system reach?
View Quote

My starlink works perfect 50-100' away (our standard usage). It works up to about 100 yards away, but I would not count on utilizing this sort of range as it goes in and out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:45:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#39]
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#40]
I work from home with it. I can also online game while the wire is watching a movie and i have music streaming. Download the app and use the utility to find out if you have enough view of the sky.  I wound up having to order the extended wire, mount the dish on one end of the barn and putting the router on the other. Then running an ethernet cable in conduit under ground to the house.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I had cable internet and got on the Starlink waiting list after 2 months. The cable stopped working for 3 days every time it rained to 12 customers in my area and Centurylink refused to fix it. I got Starlink and fiber showed up but Spectrum says I am too far off the road for their fiber. Starlink works great.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I've had Starlink out in the sticks of Lower Alabama for a couple of years now.... works good.   Sometimes drops during the heaviest part of a rain storm, but usually for less than 10 minutes.

My only issue is the fact they have raised the bill twice since I've had it.

Speed bounces between 50-100 mb down, but we have no issues with 2 or 3 concurrent video streams from various providers.

Beats the ever-lovin' hell out of the 1.5 DSL I had before.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
Oh, make sure that you have enough unobstructed view of the sky. You can put the Starlink app on your phone, then check for obstructions. We have a lot of trees, so we were limited on where we could mount it. We started with it on a wagon in the front yard, until we could have it mounted on the house.

https://i.postimg.cc/rp5Rk8H3/2022-3-4_Starlink.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/PrwFdSpv/2022-4-19_Installed_Starlink_Antenna_(1).jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/NjvCFRmJ/2022-4-19_Installed_Starlink_Antenna_(3).jpg

View Quote

@67Firebird

What is the orientation of your dish?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Our present cable from where the Starlink would mount is just normal Co-Ax which has been in place for 14 years. Will that type cable work for Starlink?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:32:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#46]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#47]
We looked at Starlink, but it was so expensive...then got lucky as we found out our new place despite being very remote, already had fiber.

We pay 50 bucks a month for 300 mbps, and that's up as well as down, just straight 50 bucks no other charges, no modem to buy/rent, no data caps either and no throttling. And it never goes down rain or shine. They offer up to a gig but we just don't need that much.

I would say that even if you had to pay to install some extra line to your house upfront, it would be worth it, might be about the same as Starlink upfront costs, doesn't hurt to check.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#48]
yes.

May father that lives in FL had no ISP's int he area. Got starlink, it's like night and day he says.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
Our present cable from where the Starlink would mount is just normal Co-Ax which has been in place for 14 years. Will that type cable work for Starlink?
View Quote

Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
No, from the dish to the modem/router is a proprietary cable.

Edit;

https://i.postimg.cc/sfLDRg2Q/2022-3-3_Starlink_(7).jpg

View Quote
Cable is cat 5.

Not sure exactly what ends they use.

Just make sure you slather some dielectric grease on the dish plug to keep moisture out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
We looked at Starlink, but it was so expensive...then got lucky as we found out our new place despite being very remote, already had fiber.

We pay 50 bucks a month for 300 mbps, and that's up as well as down, just straight 50 bucks no other charges, no modem to buy/rent, no data caps either and no throttling. And it never goes down rain or shine. They offer up to a gig but we just don't need that much.

I would say that even if you had to pay to install some extra line to your house upfront, it would be worth it, might be about the same as Starlink upfront costs, doesn't hurt to check.
View Quote

Every local place has told me they can’t get fiber to me at least at the present time. I’d love to have fiber and it may be here one day but isn’t here now and no idea when it will be here.

The crappy service I have now is $80 per mo and that’s really the only option at the moment besides StarLink. We have Dish Network for TV at about $165 per mo presently. If we go to StarLinkat $120 per mo we can drop Dish, add a few streaming services, and still spend a little less.

We will go to StarLink eventually but I have to learn a little more about the various connection options especially since I’m going to try to get the internet service to work in my shop as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top